JUST a Quality Powerstrip

snaimpally

Re: JUST a Quality Powerstrip
« Reply #20 on: 3 Jan 2024, 09:18 pm »
In the IT field Isobar is considered to build a quality product.

Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up a Tripp Lite IsoBar IBR-12 off of eBay for under $40 shipped. It was advertised as used but looks new. AC surge suppression with EMI/RFI noise filtering. Outlets are arranged in isolated filter banks to limit noise interaction among connected items. All metal construction.

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 4 Jan 2024, 12:53 am »
Thanks for the suggestion. I picked up a Tripp Lite IsoBar IBR-12 off of eBay for under $40 shipped. It was advertised as used but looks new. AC surge suppression with EMI/RFI noise filtering. Outlets are arranged in isolated filter banks to limit noise interaction among connected items. All metal construction.

Isobars aren't designed for audio and may impede sound quality. I used one many years ago and I quickly replaced it. Recently, I grabbed one of these for my subs:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QZ8ZXF7?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1 

WGH

« Reply #22 on: 4 Jan 2024, 04:03 am »
Isobars aren't designed for audio and may impede sound quality.

Why? I have my Sony Digital turner, a digital clock and the two Acopian power supplies plus music server switching power supply plugged into a Isobar and haven't noticed any sonic benefit or degradation.

As a matter of fact, I have never noticed any sonic benefit or degradation, zilch, nadda, from using any filter or distribution device from the Adcom ACE-515 Power Enhancer, to different variations of the Felix filters to the Isobar. But my electronics have never been zapped by electrical surges either so they must be doing something which is the reason I use them in Tucson, AZ, one of the lightning capitals of the world. During non-lightning days the preamp and amp are plugged directly into the wall.

Audiophiles interested in picking up the WAudio W-3900 Power Conditioner mentioned above will be interested in this YouTube disassembly video
WAudio W-3900 Power Conditioner - A Surprisingly Mediocre Thing
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8g6iif

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #23 on: 4 Jan 2024, 02:14 pm »
Isobars aren't designed for audio and may impede sound quality. I used one many years ago and I quickly replaced it.
Oh dear, oh dear.
Tripp Lite makes very high quality products.

Early B.

« Reply #24 on: 4 Jan 2024, 02:46 pm »
Why? I have my Sony Digital turner, a digital clock and the two Acopian power supplies plus music server switching power supply plugged into a Isobar and haven't noticed any sonic benefit or degradation.

As a matter of fact, I have never noticed any sonic benefit or degradation, zilch, nadda, from using any filter or distribution device from the Adcom ACE-515 Power Enhancer, to different variations of the Felix filters to the Isobar. ...

Audiophiles interested in picking up the WAudio W-3900 Power Conditioner mentioned above will be interested in this YouTube disassembly video

I bought the WAudio W-3900 for aesthetics because it sits on my audio rack and I can use a separate power cord. It looks much better than the industrial-style Tripp Lite it replaced. I'm using the "direct" outlets on it for my subs, so the filtering is bypassed. I have it plugged into a Puritan Audio PSM-156 power conditioner.  I mentioned the W-3900 because even though it's cheaply made, it may still be a sonic improvement over a $40 Isobar due to its better outlets and power cord options.

snaimpally

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jan 2024, 01:11 am »

I did see that video not long ago. Power conditioning is an area where there are a lot of snake oil salesman.

My local electricity provider doesn't provide very good quality power so all my electronics are plugged into some sort of surge protection. I have a mix of Panamax and Furman (and now TrippLite) proection to prevent a voltage spike from frying my electronics.