Do you guys know lala? Full album previews!

low.pfile

Do you guys know lala? Full album previews!
« on: 20 Apr 2010, 06:15 am »
Yes, lala.com sounds frivolous but is a great music resource; after registering(free), you can listen to many full albums! After a search by artist, navigate to the 'Album section'. Then select the album of choice, click 'Play disc', then listen.

From what I found researching the history of lala, its origin was completely different from its current model. Originally, it was a music sharing site. Recently acquired by Apple (2009), it may change again. So take advantage of auditioning albums while you can. The limitation is, after listening once to any song, you can only listen to a 30 second clip, unless you purchase the downloadable mp3 or even less expensive streamed album.

Currently, I am listening to a Johnny Guitar Watson album a friend was discussing today.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2010, 06:51 pm by low.pfile »

jimdgoulding

Re: Do you guys know lala?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2010, 06:20 am »
Man, you can't be listinin to no Johnny Guitar Watson album without me!  Thanks.  "Yes sir, mister sheriff, and that's your wife on the back of my horse".  NICE post, low.  So far, I have been unable to join in.  Maybe the site has been forewarned.

BobM

Re: Do you guys know lala?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Apr 2010, 01:52 pm »
If you knew LaLa like I know LaLa ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InTuAeGjr4M

low.pfile

Re: Do you guys know lala? Full album previews!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Apr 2010, 06:52 pm »
funny Bob.

Thump553

« Reply #4 on: 2 May 2010, 12:58 am »
Actually originally lala wasn't music sharing but was CD shopping.  You'd put up a list of CDs (original retail only) you were willing to trade and picked those you wanted off other people's lists, all lists combined on a central server.  Lala supplied the mailers and shipping sleeves and charged a slight fee (about $2 as I recall).  It worked fairly well, I scored some great trades but eventually lost interest.

I went back there recently and am impressed with their new preview system.  The first time you listen to a song you here the full song, unlike nearly everyone else who only gives you 30 seconds.  Almost every song I looked up was there and I was looking up very obscure stuff.

BTW Apple bought out lala a few months back so the original owners made a big financial killing.  Kudos to them.

mjosef

« Reply #5 on: 2 May 2010, 02:46 am »
The only reason Apple bought Lala was to kill it(shades of MS)...and so it dies, T minus 30 days...
Flock Apple... :evil:
http://www.beatweek.com/news/5330-apple-buys-lala-kills-it-off-teaches-geek-tech-pundits-a-lesson/

I want my dollar back.

low.pfile

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2010, 03:21 am »
The only reason Apple bought Lala was to kill it(shades of MS)...and so it dies, T minus 30 days...
Flock Apple... :evil:
http://www.beatweek.com/news/5330-apple-buys-lala-kills-it-off-teaches-geek-tech-pundits-a-lesson/

I want my dollar back.

yeah, I received my notification email from lala a few days ago--they will redeem any credits and even transfer your purchases to iTunes store. So only 30 days left to listen to albums for free--get it while you can.  Apple is starting to get to me. If they kill lala, the whole iphone legal thing (I live in the city where the phone was lost/found).

@Thump, I remember a friend telling me about this mail swapping CD thing years ago.

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #7 on: 9 May 2010, 07:01 pm »
yeah, I received my notification email from lala a few days ago--they will redeem any credits and even transfer your purchases to iTunes store. So only 30 days left to listen to albums for free--get it while you can.  Apple is starting to get to me. If they kill lala, the whole iphone legal thing (I live in the city where the phone was lost/found).

@Thump, I remember a friend telling me about this mail swapping CD thing years ago.

It seems like apple needs some strong competence...thats a good site but a shame that it will dissapear practically...