WTB: Music Reference RM-9

audiofool

WTB: Music Reference RM-9
« on: 5 Oct 2011, 05:12 pm »
Looking for a pristine MKII with the feedback/gain switch preferably in rosewood but would consider oak as well.....many thanx!!!!

rbwalt

Re: WTB: Music Reference RM-9
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:15 pm »
 as a former owner of a RM9 all i can say is great! if i hear of one i will post here. a pristine one will cost you about 1800.00 to 2000.00. good luck in your search.

rob.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2011, 01:47 pm »
Roger probably has a few for sale that have been totally gone over and are in tip-top shape.  They won't be $1,800 to $2,000 from him though.  But they would probably come with a renewed warranty and wonderfully matched tubes and the latest upgrades.

Good luck with your search!

audiofool

« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2011, 05:17 pm »
many thanx....i sent roger an e-mail yesterday and i am waiting for his reply

Ralph

• College Chemistry Professor, Psychologist
« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2011, 03:36 pm »
Having heard amps since the '60's- Fisher, Harmon-Kardon Citation, Marantz, Sherwood, Cary, Quicksilver, VAC, BAT- I can say that the Music Reference RM-9 is the most neutral and musical amp ever made. I notice that you specify one with variable gain/feedback. I think all of them had that feature, but it is a terrific feature. I use the "LO" setting for maximum feedback and damping, as I have my amp driving electrostatic speakers; Roger mentions that he in fact designed the RM-9 with electrostatics in mind, so this is the setting that best accomodates difficult loads. Be sure also to experiment with the speaker impedance taps; for my Martin-Logan Sequels, I find the 2-ohm tap combined with the LO gain setting yields extraordinarily detail and imaging, with airy highs and tight, articulate and deeply extended bass. Most importantly, using these settings clarifies the music and increases my involvement with it. In my not so humble opinion, no electronic component equals the RM-9.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2011, 02:33 am »
Having heard amps since the '60's- Fisher, Harmon-Kardon Citation, Marantz, Sherwood, Cary, Quicksilver, VAC, BAT- I can say that the Music Reference RM-9 is the most neutral and musical amp ever made. I notice that you specify one with variable gain/feedback. I think all of them had that feature, but it is a terrific feature. I use the "LO" setting for maximum feedback and damping, as I have my amp driving electrostatic speakers; Roger mentions that he in fact designed the RM-9 with electrostatics in mind, so this is the setting that best accomodates difficult loads. Be sure also to experiment with the speaker impedance taps; for my Martin-Logan Sequels, I find the 2-ohm tap combined with the LO gain setting yields extraordinarily detail and imaging, with airy highs and tight, articulate and deeply extended bass. Most importantly, using these settings clarifies the music and increases my involvement with it. In my not so humble opinion, no electronic component equals the RM-9.

Thanks for the praise of the RM-9. Sonically the MK-1 and II are not that different though they do have different features. On the MK-II I put individual fuse holders and fuse out indicators for each of the eight output tubes. This is a nice feature so one does not have to flip the amp over and take off the bottom to change a fuse. All amps except one 100 unit run of MK-II have a gain/feedback switch which I think is very useful.

Output power is the same for both at 125 watts RMS.

The sonic improvement of the MK-II can be obtained by adding the power supply chokes and extra filter caps, which we do here for $650 along with a complete bench check and some other component tune-ups.

Also can bring the tube fuse holder to the top plate so you never have to flip the amp again. (0ne fuse per channel).

We replace bias pots, balance pots and any components that have drifted on our regular $550 bench check.

Binding posts can be upgraded also. The full upgrade of everything mentioned above is $1250.

Write me at ramtubes@gmail.com to make an appointment or discuss special needs.

audiofool

« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2011, 08:30 pm »
can a feedback/gain switch be added to a MKII that doesn't have one and if so what is the price?

audiofool

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2012, 01:59 pm »
Looking for a pristine MKII with the feedback/gain switch preferably in rosewood but would consider oak as well.....many thanx!!!!