1st two Jeff Beck releases on cd

rockadanny

1st two Jeff Beck releases on cd
« on: 26 Feb 2011, 03:33 am »
Truth ('68) - sounds pretty good.  :thumb:
Beck-Ola ('69) - sounds like crap!  :evil:
Same record label (Epic), mostly same players, one year apart.  :wtf:
I recall liking both quite a bit on vinyl when they came out.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: 1st two Jeff Beck releases on cd
« Reply #1 on: 26 Feb 2011, 03:42 am »
Agree on the Truth.  :thumb:   Don't have the Beck-Ola.   :dunno:   

I got the remastered Truth a while back, have mixed emotions.  :scratch:  I think they tried to get a little too tricky, as well as pumping things up.   It's ok, but wouldn't say it's better than the orginal release. Guess I've been lucky in that dept, most of the remasters I picked up were very well done. Rock On  :rock:

ps rockadanny - I think the Late 60s with Rod Stewart CD I listened to earlier has both of those on one disc. It's an EMI UK release, and sounds pretty good all the way thru.

jazzcourier

« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2011, 04:28 am »
Try to hear the recent Sundazed MONO vinyl re-issue of "Truth".It sounds amazing and brings that music into focus.It is such a great record and was one of the first guitar  "auteur " records, if i can borrow a term from French cinema to describe a director's "personal vision". "Beck-ola" for some reason sounds like a train wreck.Someone forgot to tell Rod Stewart that if you can't hit the notes screaming is not going to get you there.

martyo

« Reply #3 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:08 pm »
Truth was one of my first 8-tracks. 

kirch

• "He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!"
    • http://www.vo-pro.com
« Reply #4 on: 26 Feb 2011, 12:26 pm »
Same studio?  Same engineer?  Same recording setup?  Different mixing monitors?  For both albums?  I've noticed Wired and Blow By Blow are similar in that respect, one sounding muddier than the other.  Any one of these things seriously affects the sound.

On a different note, even vocals from one song to another are sometimes different quality-wise (Joni Mitchell Hejira). Different mic?  Different distance from the mic while recording?  Someone mess with the vocal processor settings between takes?  Dunno. Of course, dope smoking and drinking certainly was quite prevalent in the 60's and 70's studio sessions.

rpf

« Reply #5 on: 26 Feb 2011, 10:31 pm »

I never owned an eight track but that was how I first heard "Truth" (several times actually  :thumb:) in a drive up to Cambridge in a friend's car.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #6 on: 26 Feb 2011, 10:59 pm »

Truth was my first pre-recorded open reel.