Handel's Messiah

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Handel's Messiah
« on: 13 Dec 2010, 03:09 pm »
I saw it Saturday at Strathmore.

This venue is really the best I have heard for vocals and acoustic instruments.  I sat at the dead center acoustically  (front row center box) and really enjoyed the sound.  I could clearly identify instrument groups and hear them distinctively.  I could close my eyes, listen for the Cellos and I could located them exactly where they really were -- right center behind the violas.  15 violins (2 groups), 6 violas, 4 cellos, 2 basses, 2 Carinets, 2 trumpets, 1 bassoon, 1 organ, 1 timpani, 4 principle singers and the chorus could clearly be seen and heard.  Aside from the bass/baritone being slightly underpowered in the lower register (like maybe he was miscast?) I though it was one of the best Messiah I have heard. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Handel's Messiah
« Reply #1 on: 14 Dec 2010, 04:41 pm »
What a beautiful looking hall. Glad to hear you enjoyed the performance.

charles

Rob S.

« Reply #2 on: 14 Dec 2010, 06:16 pm »
I'm jealous.  I love the Messiah.  I need see a performance there when I'm in town.

Rob

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 14 Dec 2010, 10:41 pm »
Great looking hall. At first I thought that was a pipe organ up the back but when I looked the hall up apparently it's some kind of adjustable acoustic treatments.

Pjay

• My speaker DIY site
« Reply #4 on: 18 Dec 2010, 01:14 am »
I really like that hall.  acoustically good almost everywhere.  Who did the singing?  BTW, my current favorite Messiah on disk is the Duniden Consort 1742 version.  Amazing quality, orch and singers. 
P