Joan Sutherland Passed Away

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Joan Sutherland Passed Away
« on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:59 am »
Decca inform this monday the australian soprano Joan Sutherland passed away this sunday 10Oct2010 in Swiss at 83, she was know as "La Stupenda" by its fans.

She premiered on stage in 1951 and made her finale in 31Dec1989 at London Opera House sing Die Fledermaus with Pavarotti, that call her ''the biggest voice of the century''.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
Re: Joan Sutherland Passed Away
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2010, 11:36 am »
I was driving down I-71 to Columbus, Ohio and was listening to the Symphonic Station on XM and they were playing a recording of Joan Sutherland sing a an aria from Donezetti's Lucia de Lammermoor.  Absolutely stunning voice!!

Randy

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2010, 02:53 pm »
Here are links to some of the greatest performances in Dame Sutherland's career.

The mad scene that set her career going when she sang it at Covent Garden in 1959.

The Bell Song from Lakme.

Casta Diva from Norma.

Tornami a vagheggiar from Handel's Alcinia.  She was not only instrumental in bringing back Bel Canto but also had a hand in bringing back Baroque Operas.

I didn't adore her and her diction bothered me but her tonal control was impeccable and impressive.

Requiem in Pace, La Stupenda.

goldlizsts

• Let Music Flow!
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2010, 11:36 am »
Does A/C still have access problems?  I just was trying to post in the Opera Circle (I was logged in at that moment), trying to Quote Woodsyi's posting, but kept getting a message like "Verification" problem, try logging out and log back in...., which I did, but clicking "Quote" I still got the same problem.  So, I can't post.  What's the complication there? :scratch: