In Search of Great Wagner

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
In Search of Great Wagner
« on: 26 Jul 2010, 09:23 am »
Particularly "The Ring".  Can you help a brother out?  I already have Solti and Barenboim and Dohnanyi and Levine.  Anyone else worth checking out?

no1maestro

Re: In Search of Great Wagner
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2010, 10:44 pm »
It looks like you have the basics. You skipped the Boulez and didn't miss much. My latest "Ring" is the Furtwangler version on EMI but, of course, only in mono but many folks still list it among the best. An interesting new one is probably due out soon. It involves Mehta conducting an Italian orchestra ( I think Valencia.) It is controversial mainly by the staging and the costumes as was the Boulez version. The Boulez orchestra was thinned severely and the Mehta sounds pretty solid to me but with second stringers in the main parts. There are several exerpts on Youtube for you to check out. Good luck to a fellow Wagnerian!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2010, 05:05 pm »
I have the Solti cycle and Levine (MET) cycle on CD and Bohm cycle, Krauss cycle and Furtwangler cycle on vinyl.

Of the ones I have, I would go with Solti first for overall quality of sound and music.  Just for music, I would rate Krauss cycle the highest.

Having said that I want these two sets by Keilberth.

Keilberth '55 cycle which is also available in a recently released Vinyl box set.  I am trying to convince myself that vinyl is worth the cost.   :?

I also want the Keilberth '53 cycle but have not pulled the trigger.

Keilberth '55 was the first ever stereo recording.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
Hot deal!
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2010, 05:59 pm »
While I was looking around, I found this Knappertsbusch recording at an incredible price of $41.93 shipped for the whole cycle on 13 CDs and pulled the trigger. :o  Amazon sell it for $67.98 but under other seller option, importcds is selling a NIB set for $41.93 shipped.   This is like the price of just one opera set, not 4. :rock: 
« Last Edit: 17 Aug 2010, 01:17 pm by woodsyi »

Fife12

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2010, 07:49 pm »

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 16 Aug 2010, 02:25 pm »
I received the Knappertsbusch 1956 Ring and listened to it.

It's live recording and you can tell the orchestra is in the pit.  Compared to Solti's studio set, the instruments are not as sharply defined.  There is powerful drama unfolding on this set though.  Astrid Varnay is an incredible Brunnhilde and Hans Hotter only the best Wotan I have ever heard.  The recording was clearly miked above stage and the singling really stands out.  This is a fabulous deal at $41.93 for all 13 CDs.  :thumb:

jimdgoulding

« Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2010, 04:10 am »
I received the Knappertsbusch 1956 Ring and listened to it.

It's live recording and you can tell the orchestra is in the pit.  Compared to Solti's studio set, the instruments are not as sharply defined.  There is powerful drama unfolding on this set though.  Astrid Varnay is an incredible Brunnhilde and Hans Hotter only the best Wotan I have ever heard.  The recording was clearly miked above stage and the singling really stands out.  This is a fabulous deal at $41.93 for all 13 CDs.  :thumb:

You make it sound pretty special, indeed.

Rim, I have a few pretty rare records that have been handed down to me like a 1902 78RPM of Caruso.  If I wanted to get them appraised, do you know who I would contact?  Thanks.  Jim

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2010, 04:36 am »
Particularly "The Ring".  Can you help a brother out?  I already have Solti and Barenboim and Dohnanyi and Levine.  Anyone else worth checking out?
IF you have 4 Rings, I think you have enough, I fell you could have a cherry cake as this Stereo SACD:
http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/6217
This is a instrumental version of Wagner best Operas, the recording is great and performance are stunning.
I not a Wagner expert but this disc are very good to me. I had bough at Acoussence site and Mr. Ralf do a great custumer service.
Gustavo

GDeering

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2010, 12:28 am »
I'd love the hear either Keilberth sets.  Some day.....  I'm a fan of the Bohm Ring.  As Solti's star has faded, Bohm's has risen.  Not that there is not plenty of competition now.  Everyone has to have a Ring. 

Not that you asked, but if I was going pt put together a set this is what it wold be: 

Solti, Rheingold (here his theatrics add rather than detract from my listening.

Karajan, Walkure, good over all, Pacing in Wotan's Farewell, really excelent - this from someone who is not easily disposed to like HvK.

Bohm, Siegfried: beautiful atmosphere, and he does not rush the end.  It is a problem in what would also be an outstanding Walkure. 

Gotterdammerung, Knappertsbusch is really good, I like Varnay a lot.  There is less hoot in Hotter too!

Gregg

schubert

• I'm the one on the right
« Reply #9 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:08 am »
Don't overlook Leinsdorf's Walkure.  Great sound, fabulous singing from George London as Wotan, as well as Nilsson, Vickers and Brouwenstijn.  It's been trashed by some reviewers, unjustly I think.

drjjpdc

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:12 pm »
Tyson and others,

I have the Keilberth 1955 ring on CD from Testament. It is my favorite of all. The booklets are loaded with pictures and commentary. I too did not think I needed another Ring, but after hearing samples of the Keilberth, I got my credit card out. You get some of the Solti singers but in their prime, Hotter and Windgassen are superb, but wait Hotter is Wotan! His father/daughter talks with Brunnhilde are models of introspection and acting and his voice is glorious. In Walkure when he sends Hunding to Fricka, his Geh in Knecht is positively scary and filled with menace.

It's interesting to note that since Solti was a bigger presence, John Culshaw of the Solti Ring actually was instrumental in holding back the Keilberth release for years. He was afraid the Keilberth would damage sales because Solti would then not be the first recorded Ring. Just so you guys can judge my taste, I prefer faster tempos like Solti and Keilberth, Knappertsbusch is usually too glacial for me.

I like Bohm very much, just not as much as Keilberth. If you don't have Bohm's Tristan on DG, run don't walk to obtain it! It is my absolute favorite. BTW, Most of Wagner's operas with Keilberth are also available on Testament. I especially like his Tannhauser and Dutchman. Hope this helps.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2012, 05:55 pm »
Tyson and others,

I have the Keilberth 1955 ring on CD from Testament. It is my favorite of all. The booklets are loaded with pictures and commentary. I too did not think I needed another Ring, but after hearing samples of the Keilberth, I got my credit card out. You get some of the Solti singers but in their prime, Hotter and Windgassen are superb, but wait Hotter is Wotan! His father/daughter talks with Brunnhilde are models of introspection and acting and his voice is glorious. In Walkure when he sends Hunding to Fricka, his Geh in Knecht is positively scary and filled with menace.

It's interesting to note that since Solti was a bigger presence, John Culshaw of the Solti Ring actually was instrumental in holding back the Keilberth release for years. He was afraid the Keilberth would damage sales because Solti would then not be the first recorded Ring. Just so you guys can judge my taste, I prefer faster tempos like Solti and Keilberth, Knappertsbusch is usually too glacial for me.

I like Bohm very much, just not as much as Keilberth. If you don't have Bohm's Tristan on DG, run don't walk to obtain it! It is my absolute favorite. BTW, Most of Wagner's operas with Keilberth are also available on Testament. I especially like his Tannhauser and Dutchman. Hope this helps.

'55 Keilberth is $179.12 and '52 Keilberth is $69.98.  Have you compared the two by any chance?  '52 must be mono and '55 in stereo.

drjjpdc

« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2012, 07:07 pm »
Woodsyi,

Yes I have. The 52 is good but the stereo 55 version is the one to get. That's why Culshaw suppressed it because it was a stereo version before his and had the juice at EMI to do it.

Seatrope

« Reply #13 on: 14 Apr 2012, 07:41 pm »
Don't overlook the Furtwangler Tristan with Kirsten Flagstad; it's mono only but one of my favorite performances.

Recently I've been on a roll to find good SACD modern recordings of Wagner. So far the ones I've loved are the recent Pentatone releases on SACD from the Janowski series, namely Dutchman and Meistersinger. Have been quite pleased with the sound quality of both. Performance wise the Dutchman is a little stronger but these are both great concert performances.

Yeang