The Estate of Robert and Marion Merrill Record Collection.

GDeering

This hobby is funny and fickle; I’m not a major opera fan, mainly a Wagner/Strauss kinda guy, I don’t think I’ve posted on this forum, just the classical music forum.

Recently I met Robert Merrill’s daughter, Lizanne, at a local fundraising event. After a little conversation she casually mentioned: “your wife says you like records, we’re clearing the house out, so if my brother has not tossed them you can have them."

So, by chance I am now the proud possessor of Robert Merrill's record collection.

Before last week I had only one opera with Robert Merrill singing: Beecham’s Boheme. I really love this performance and one of the highlights is the beginning of the first act and it is Merrill that makes it so special. But other than that I had nothing with him. Now that’s changed, I have a lot of Merrill.  Six boxes of him, and two with operas & highlights, assorted collections with and without Merrill and assorted classical and a few jazz LPs.

Like many musicians Merrill did not like to listen to records, so even though it seems like a lot - it's really just his discography. Which I am happy to have. I have about everything he recorded, with the exception of the Broadway and later crossover material. Luckily Merrill recorded for RCA, so there’s a lot of nice pressings. Much of it in mono.  Though there is no shortage of the London recordings.  In addition a bit of solo Bjorling, and of course the great LP of their work together.  For some reason he was interest in Gilels and Oistrakh 
so I have a bunch of early U.S. LPs of Soviet recordings.

When I was sorting everything in the record lair, playing a mono plum label opera compilation LP, I had a really nice feeling that I was preserving an important artist’s collection. 
Better my basement than the dumpster. Lizanne and her brother Dave are two incredibly nice and generous people. Not as into material stuff as I am, but no one’s perfect!

I’ve got the mono cart back on the table and over the last week I've listened to a couple of things and I am warming up to Verdi.

I’m curious, if there are any Merrill fans out there, what opera performances of his do you like best?

Gregg

acidaho

Re: The Estate of Robert and Marion Merrill Record Collection.
« Reply #1 on: 2 Jun 2010, 02:50 pm »

He did a great job in Lucia Di Lammermoor (another post)  :thumb:

Mike Nomad

« Reply #2 on: 2 Jun 2010, 03:32 pm »
Wow. Fantastic story. Congratulations on your new curatorship (?word)  :D

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 2 Jun 2010, 06:32 pm »
I’m curious, if there are any Merrill fans out there, what opera performances of his do you like best?

Gregg

Gregg,

I would to love to trade place with you and get a chance to listen to those records.  The La Boheme with De Los Angeles and Bjorling is one of my favorite recording.  I really like the duet in Pearl Fisher with Bjorling.  In fact, I like most Bjorling/Merrill combo.  Happy listening.

CR

« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2010, 05:18 pm »
Gregg,
 That is a real treasure to get ahold of. When I was at the Met Luncheon Guild in honor of Franco Corelli ,I saw him briefly but he and his wife left. Would have liked to have sat at the table and asked some questions. However, I was placed with Lucine Amara and her family so I won't complain !!