Foxtel Audio Out

bhobba

Foxtel Audio Out
« on: 12 Apr 2010, 03:05 am »
Hi All

As some of you may know I have been experiencing a lot of money problems that have stopped me pursuing my interest in audio.  That is now coming to an end when i get my superannuation in November.  But in the mean time I am thinking about the direction I might want to take my system.  Since I don't have anything right now (I gave my system away because it wasn't really suitable for my room and I wanted a new one anyway) I will have to start from scratch.  I have been gouging through various ideas and one I am now considering is to start with a Soraya and feed it direct from my Foxtel (I rather like listening to Foxtel Audio).  But for that to work I need to know if its audio out is under the control of the remotes volume control.  I think it is but I need to be sure.  Does anyone know?  Here may not be the best place to ask.  I could probably ring Foxtel but I thought I would give it  ago.

Of course that is just an interim solution.  Down the track I want to get a squeeze-box Duet fed into a dac or fed direct (I like the look of the Steve Nugnet Overdrive Dac).  Does anyone know if the optical out on Foxtel is compatible with an audio dac?  My suspicion is its meant to feed into a HT amp and require a Dolby decoder or something similar so wont work.

Thanks
Bill

AKSA

Re: Foxtel Audio Out
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2010, 06:51 am »
Hi Bill,

Good to see you back!!  I can't answer the question on the Foxtel set top, but some Oz subscriber here might be able to help.  Anyone know the answer?

Hang five on the DAC.  Logitech has just released the Logitech Touch, here:

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/squeezebox-touch.html

Notice the feature set;  it's even ready for 24/96 digital as well as photos, USB, camera memory, remote, internet radio and extremely low jitter DAC.  It's $USD300.  That's incredibly good value!

Cheers,

Hugh

bhobba

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2010, 07:15 am »
Hi Bill,

Good to see you back!!  I can't answer the question on the Foxtel set top, but some Oz subscriber here might be able to help.  Anyone know the answer?

Hang five on the DAC.  Logitech has just released the Logitech Touch, here:

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/products/squeezebox-touch.html

Notice the feature set;  it's even ready for 24/96 digital as well as photos, USB, camera memory, remote, internet radio and extremely low jitter DAC.  It's $USD300.  That's incredibly good value!

Cheers,

Hugh

Thanks Hugh.

Looking forward to getting that Soraya when the time comes.  The more I read and investigate the more I like it.  I was initially going to get some interim solution like a Peachtree Nova but after thinking about it and investigating don't think its the go - going straight for the Soraya

I did a bit of an internet search and am now prety sure the Foxtel uses its own volume contol.  But it will be great if someone can confirm.

Thanks for the skinny on the the touch - looks good.  I am pretty sure however I will want it with the Duet remote - my eyesight aren't what it used to be. If I remember the remote can be had separately.  But now I have the skinny I can investigate it a bit.  Are you still making that nifty power supply?  Of course don't want it now but when the time comes - well maybe I wont worry about that overdrive DAC.  As always I will need to rely on the golden ears of you and all the others that post here.

Thanks
Bill

andyr

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2010, 08:40 am »

I have been gouging through various ideas and one I am now considering is to start with a Soraya and feed it direct from my Foxtel (I rather like listening to Foxtel Audio).  But for that to work I need to know if its audio out is under the control of the remotes volume control. 
Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill, I run my Foxtel box through my GK-1 (it's a bit of a long loop in that my TV and pair of standmounts is in the next room to my hifi ... so I have an 11m IC between Foxtel box and GK-1 and then 11m long speaker cables from amp back to the speakers flanking the TV).  So on the occasions I watch fillums on Foxtel, I can get better sound than what comes from the TV's tiny speakers.

Yes, the Foxtel "signal out" level is controlled by the Loudness buttons on the remote.  I find I have to turn it up about 3/4 or 4/5ths (according to the volume scale which shows on the TV), to match the level of the other inputs to my GK-1 (tuner, CDP).  Then of course I can use the GK-1 volume control to turn up the sound as well ... so you should be fine with no preamp.  :D

Good luck,

Andy

bhobba

« Reply #4 on: 19 Apr 2010, 01:35 pm »
Hi Bill, I run my Foxtel box through my GK-1 (it's a bit of a long loop in that my TV and pair of standmounts is in the next room to my hifi ... so I have an 11m IC between Foxtel box and GK-1 and then 11m long speaker cables from amp back to the speakers flanking the TV).  So on the occasions I watch fillums on Foxtel, I can get better sound than what comes from the TV's tiny speakers.

Yes, the Foxtel "signal out" level is controlled by the Loudness buttons on the remote.  I find I have to turn it up about 3/4 or 4/5ths (according to the volume scale which shows on the TV), to match the level of the other inputs to my GK-1 (tuner, CDP).  Then of course I can use the GK-1 volume control to turn up the sound as well ... so you should be fine with no preamp.  :D

Good luck,

Andy

Thanks Andy.  Its just an interim measure until I sort a few other things out.  At first I thought I would probably do away with a pre amp and run everything direct into the amp.  Some good dacs are around right now that work best like that such as Steve Nugents Overdrive.  And I still may go down that path but I now hear good things about the Tranquility Dac.  Man are those guys doing a fantastic combination of engineering and listening tests.  I don't understand how different USB cables can sound different but they strike me as upfront guys and I believe them when they say they do.  However at present they require a pre amp.  I may however wait until they bring out a 24/96 version which I can use the digital volume control in the computer on - I prefer it that way because I find it utterly transparent.

Trouble is I will need to change the cables when I want to listen to Foxtel.  Might get a Burson buffer and get a technician put a switch in it.

Thanks
Bill