Sound Images @ Falls Church - Out of Business?

wje

Sound Images @ Falls Church - Out of Business?
« on: 1 Apr 2010, 09:02 pm »
It appears Sound Images is in the process of closing down.  I referred a friend over to their location to check out some PSB speakers.  He indicated the doors were locked and the gear was in boxes.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Sound Images @ Falls Church - Out of Business?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Apr 2010, 09:22 pm »
Finito!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2010, 02:00 am »
wow - surprised :o

Bethesda location closed, too?

John

wje

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2010, 03:03 am »
wow - surprised :o

Bethesda location closed, too?

John

John,

I'd assume so.  My last pass through the Bethesda location was probably 5 years ago.  They didn't have much gear on display (in comparison to their Falls Church location).  The sales guy explained to me at the time, the Bethesda location was pretty much a location where they coordinated custom installs from and were not as involved in selling the higher end gear.  Kind of weird if you ask me, because Bethesda has some $$.

ricmon

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2010, 07:57 pm »
It appears Sound Images is in the process of closing down.  I referred a friend over to their location to check out some PSB speakers.  He indicated the doors were locked and the gear was in boxes.

WOW Sorry to hear that.  I bought my Lipinski's from there.  :bawl:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #5 on: 3 Apr 2010, 10:43 pm »
damn!  years ago, when it was hi-tech, it was the place in the dc area to buy/sell/trade used equipment.  afaik, no one else has moved in to pick up the slack.  too bad, imo...

doug s.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 3 Apr 2010, 11:48 pm »
Unfortunately it is a sign of the times.  I'm sad to see any store of that nature go.  It's becoming an endangered species.

pansixt

« Reply #7 on: 24 Jan 2011, 12:24 am »
Just had Brett, the owner of the late great Hi-tech and Sound Images, rework my Mac MR78 tuner.
He is still among us and available for EQ repairs and consulting thru the new "Blue Groove Soundz", a record store (yes an amazing inventory of vinyl)  in Arlington VA.
Nice to have a full service record store again. Nice to have someone to support our equipment
that has the same value that we all have. The same pursuit of sound.
My Sota turntable, MAC C28 and ST70 have been busy lately. The Sota Sapphire will get a small respite though , now that I have ordered an AVA Vision EC DAC from Frank.
Carry On My Brothers.  Newbie pansixt.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #8 on: 24 Jan 2011, 05:20 pm »
Pansixt,

Welcome to AC and thanks for the tip about Blue Groove Soundz!   :thumb:  Do they sell new and used?  Do you know if they buy LPs and cds?

Scott

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #9 on: 26 Jan 2011, 01:23 pm »
There's always Command AV; I'm liking them more all the time.

<hopefully this plug will get me a better price on the speakers I want>

:green:

pansixt

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2011, 12:57 am »
Scott,

Thanks for the welcome and sorry for the delay. No internet for days with the snow damage.

Blue Groove sells new and used vinyl and CD's and Gary will order pretty much anything for us,

as long as one of his many vendors has access to it.

I haven't asked about them buying used.

pansixt

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jan 2011, 01:44 am »
There's also http://evolutionav.com/ (have not been there yet) and www.iq-av.com too

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jan 2011, 09:03 am »
and, for you vmps (among other things) fans:
http://www.dynamicsoundaudio.com/
cool residence-based business.

and a nice shop, that's been around for a long time:
http://jsaudio.com/home

doug s.

Phil A

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jan 2011, 03:45 pm »
Didn't realize Dynamic Sounds was residence based.  I sent their link to a friend who lives in DC about 6 months back saying we should check it out sometime.

pansixt

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jan 2011, 05:39 pm »
Thanks Phil,

I'll stop in Evolution and IQ AV's sometime soon.

Although Frank has gotten most of my system funds lately.

James (pansixt)

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #15 on: 30 Jan 2011, 06:58 pm »
Didn't realize Dynamic Sounds was residence based.  I sent their link to a friend who lives in DC about 6 months back saying we should check it out sometime.
i don't know if lucius has moved, since i bought my larger subs from him in the early-mid 90's.  he had a killer room and a killer system, w/some then-top of the line vmps supertower IIa/r

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/486vmps

doug s.

wje

« Reply #16 on: 18 Mar 2011, 09:12 am »

and a nice shop, that's been around for a long time:
http://jsaudio.com/home

doug s.

Yes. JS Audio is quite a good shop with great service.  I was browsing their Web site a few days back.  I remember they used to be a big Dynaudio dealer.  It appears they're now carrying Wilson speakers - which I don't think they did before.  They may have picked up the line after Soundworks closed in Kensington.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2011, 12:33 pm »
Yes. JS Audio is quite a good shop with great service.  I was browsing their Web site a few days back.  I remember they used to be a big Dynaudio dealer.  It appears they're now carrying Wilson speakers - which I don't think they did before.  They may have picked up the line after Soundworks closed in Kensington.

I thought Soundworks closed their corner location but are open in the second floor location in the same shopping center???

wje

« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2011, 07:12 pm »
I thought Soundworks closed their corner location but are open in the second floor location in the same shopping center???

Hmm ... that's interesting.  I made a trip up to Kensington a few weeks back to buy some headphones.  The guy said they closed up shop and the store was now a Mexican restaurant.  Now, the 2nd floor move kind of intrigues me.

nhpm510

• Trading refs: A'gon, Emo boards same user name
« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2011, 10:10 pm »
Wow, between myer emco, tweeter, sound images, and sound works going down, that takes a lot of hi-fi fun out of the dc metro area.

The ID model and the economy sure do take a toll.