A New RM-10 Mk II Owner

audiomaniac

A New RM-10 Mk II Owner
« on: 30 Nov 2009, 04:03 am »
I just purchased an RM-10 MK II and wanted to say greetings to all fellow Music Reference fans. I just discovered this wonderful amplifier and decided to give it a go. It is a perfect match for my Omega single driver speakers. They really sing with this little guy! I find all types of music very enjoyable, especially jazz and vocals. Wonderful mids, clean and well defined highs with great soundstage. I'm also quite suprised at the amount of bass I'm getting, which is more than I expected. When I powered it up, I expected a rather thin and smaller sound, but what I got was a large, full and and extremely well defined presentation. All this out of an amp of less that 15 lbs using EL84 tubes. Very nice. Well done Roger! :thumb:

Scottdazzle

Re: A New RM-10 Mk II Owner
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:49 am »
The RM-10 II is a great match for Omega speakers.  I tried that combo briefly and was very impressed, too.  Enjoy!

audiomaniac

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2009, 03:29 am »
Thanks! Yes, I think I found a very nice match.

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2010, 04:31 am »
Got a new Music Reference RM-10 Mk II from Roger Modjeski a couple of weeks ago.  Using the Lightspeed Passive Attenuator as a preamp, Tranquility SE DAC, and Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

This is a really nice combination.  The gain on the RM-10 is a bit too high for the 101db efficient Zu Soul, I should ask Roger about how one lowers the gain and what the consequences are of doing so.

The tubes that Roger includes with the amplifier are also very good.  No need to tube roll with this amplifier, I swapped out the stock tubes with a very good, phono grade pair of the Raytheon 12AX7 and I could discern very little difference.

Otherwise, this is really nice, and just as enjoyable (although in different ways) as the Atma-sphere S-30 which I previously had.

Highs are sweet and extended, good body, very musical, terrific sound stage.  If I had to summarize the RM-10, I'd say that it does everything very well, some things very well indeed, and nothing at all poorly.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2010, 10:04 pm »
Congrats!  That's a great little amp.  And cute too!

copperlynx

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2010, 10:23 pm »
Lovely amp. Pure magic with the original Quad ESL 57s.

low_budget_listener

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2010, 06:26 pm »
I once owned the RM-10 Mk II.  I was on a high-efficiency kick, and went through a pair of Lowther Alerions (with the DX-55 drivers, very nice), some Fostex drivers in BLH cabinets similar to BK-16 kits, and Audio Nirvana 12" drivers in bass reflex cabinets made by Tekton Design, as well as a Fi X and some George Wright monoblocks, both 2A3-based designs.  The RM-10 acquitted itself quite well, and was easily the most versatile of the amps mentioned.  I felt it a good match not only with the high-efficiency speakers, but also with a few monitors (Taylo Reference, for one, losing track of the others that passed through my hands -- it was a wonderful, prolific time for my audio addiction).  Not only great sounding, the RM-10 was also dead quiet and cool running, and has a reputation for bullet-proof reliability.

The immediacy of full-range drivers is compelling, but in my room (at the time), I found that Maggie 3.6's, although much less accurate and reportedly high in distortion, were just more fun, and better suited to my penchant for Rock and Roll. Had finances permitted, I would have kept both systems, the RM-10 with the Alerions, and the Maggies, with the succession of powerful amps they required.  Now that I'm in a much smaller room, the Maggies are long gone, and the RM-10 is again high on my wish list.

Congratulations on your purchase.  It's a fine amp.

Roger A. Modjeski

« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2010, 09:43 am »
I just purchased an RM-10 MK II and wanted to say greetings to all fellow Music Reference fans. I just discovered this wonderful amplifier and decided to give it a go. It is a perfect match for my Omega single driver speakers. They really sing with this little guy! I find all types of music very enjoyable, especially jazz and vocals. Wonderful mids, clean and well defined highs with great soundstage. I'm also quite suprised at the amount of bass I'm getting, which is more than I expected. When I powered it up, I expected a rather thin and smaller sound, but what I got was a large, full and and extremely well defined presentation. All this out of an amp of less that 15 lbs using EL84 tubes. Very nice. Well done Roger! :thumb:

Thanks for the compliment and noting that this little amp can do big jobs with ease. Too many audiophiles measure amplifiers by the pound. This is unfortunate and too many manufacturers have taken this to the extreme. A 200+ pound mono amp with fifteen 6550's sitting on top is a sickening sight to me.

pubul57

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2011, 01:13 am »
That missing 16th 6550 can be a real problem:)