USB DAC suggestions please.

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
Re: USB DAC suggestions please.
« Reply #20 on: 30 Nov 2009, 05:11 pm »
Me and a few of the guys down here are about to do a little DAC comparison using some of the latest and greatest.

If anyone else has something really top notch that they want to send down, bring down, or have loaned to us for this comparison then please let me know.

Hi, Danny. I'll send you a D100 Mk2 for you to listen to soon. :)

gstraley

« Reply #21 on: 30 Nov 2009, 05:32 pm »
Wes,
  I believe that Danny is looking for USB DAC's that can be used with an Apple computer. Your DAC does not have a USB input and it only has XLR balanced outputs which I know will not work without an adapter. Adapters usually put equipment at a disadvantage. Especially in a head to head comparison which they will be doing.

Gregg

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #22 on: 30 Nov 2009, 07:17 pm »
This is just a bit of info on the Buffalo 32S DAC that I have built for a customer, it will be at Danny's with the other DAC's for a comparison. It is of course from Twisted Pear Audio and it has on it SPDIF, toslink and USB. The customer supplied all of the TPA parts, and I supplied the packaging and it is running on batteries! All I will say for now is it is VERY good indeed! I have a few pics of the finished DAC for all to see. Final cost was around $1K :thumb: :green:
Gary

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #23 on: 30 Nov 2009, 07:40 pm »
Danny,

When will this comparison take place?

I may have something to add to this.

Thanks,

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
« Reply #24 on: 30 Nov 2009, 07:52 pm »
We haven't really set a date yet.

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #25 on: 30 Nov 2009, 08:04 pm »
Cool.

I should have something to send late December.

Thanks Danny.

Btw, I am waiting for the other stuff from my trip to show up. :)
We haven't really set a date yet.

Audioclyde

« Reply #26 on: 30 Nov 2009, 08:07 pm »
This is just a bit of info on the Buffalo 32S DAC that I have built for a customer, it will be at Danny's with the other DAC's for a comparison. It is of course from Twisted Pear Audio and it has on it SPDIF, toslink and USB. The customer supplied all of the TPA parts, and I supplied the packaging and it is running on batteries! All I will say for now is it is VERY good indeed! I have a few pics of the finished DAC for all to see. Final cost was around $1K :thumb: :green:
Gary

Gary, any chance of building something like this with a tubed output stage?

Randy

mcullinan

« Reply #27 on: 30 Nov 2009, 08:08 pm »
The Ayre QB-9 is Stereophiles product of the year and uses asynchronous muckity muck over USB which pretty much eliminates jitter. I believe they bought this technology from Wavelength.
Havent heard it, but would like too.
Mike

gld

• Industry Participant
    • http://doddaudio@live.net
« Reply #28 on: 30 Nov 2009, 08:18 pm »
 tube output is possible.
Gary

NekoAudio

• Industry Participant
    • Neko Audio LLC
« Reply #29 on: 1 Dec 2009, 01:43 am »
Hi Gregg,

I spoke with Danny on the phone earlier today. USB or TOSLink are both fine, according to his other post. As well as coax from a separate transport.

The D100 does indeed have XLR jacks but the use of output transformers means there is absolutely no circuit difference when running them to RCA jacks (I will be including a pair of 3' XLR female to RCA male cables). You just lose the common mode noise rejection of balanced cables, but you won't have that anyway if you run into single-ended gear. The internal circuit is still fully balanced and doesn't even know the difference.

I have sold D100 units with RCA jacks by request. Nothing changes inside, I just replace the jacks.

I believe that Danny is looking for USB DAC's that can be used with an Apple computer. Your DAC does not have a USB input and it only has XLR balanced outputs which I know will not work without an adapter. Adapters usually put equipment at a disadvantage. Especially in a head to head comparison which they will be doing.

roscoeiii

« Reply #30 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:14 am »
Gary,

Does the analog out on your Twisted Pear DAC employ an op-amp or is it discrete?

Larkston Zinaspic

« Reply #31 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:18 am »
No firewire at this party? If you're using a Mac then a Metric Halo ULN-2d would be a worthy candidate...although i am biased. :peek:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #32 on: 1 Dec 2009, 09:32 am »
No firewire at this party? If you're using a Mac then a Metric Halo ULN-2d would be a worthy candidate...although i am biased. :peek:

Post #2. wish i could shop in that price range:)

dave

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #33 on: 1 Dec 2009, 02:42 pm »
Me and a few of the guys down here are about to do a little DAC comparison using some of the latest and greatest.

So far we have the Tranquility DAC. http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1262235905&/Db-Audio-Labs-Tranquility-DAC-

It is a USB only design.

One was loaned to me to use at RMAF and it was outstanding. It was part of a system that several reviewers picked as best bargain and best bang for the buck at the show.

I liked it so well that I bought one.

Also in the mix is a new Wolfson evaluation model. This isn't a product yet but could be at some point. Preliminary thoughts are that it is outstanding.

We also have one of the new 32 bit Buffalo DAC's coming. Gary Dodd Assembled it for a customer and it's running on batteries. His preliminary thoughts are it is outstanding. It also has USB input.

There is another that I don't know much about that is a kit. It is an imported design with a tube output. It appears to be loaded with good parts and I think it has a USB input too.

It will be a few more weeks until we have the get together and comparisons. We plan to have several in different locations using different systems.

If anyone else has something really top notch that they want to send down, bring down, or have loaned to us for this comparison then please let me know.

Oh Man do I want to hear this trial!   :D

woofersus

• Industry Participant
  • Authorized Dealer: Melody & Angel City Audio
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #34 on: 12 Dec 2009, 03:10 pm »

That would be interesting for sure.  I know I'd kinda like to compare my RME Fireface 800 to some of the audiophile dac's out there. (although I bought it for recording, not necessary for 2-channel playback)  I'll at least be able to compare it to the new Onix DAC-25 when I get it here in a few weeks.

Also very much looking forward to hearing what happens at this comparo.  Too bad I'm so far away.

Audioclyde

« Reply #35 on: 12 Dec 2009, 03:14 pm »
tube output is possible.
Gary

Hi Gary, did you receive my pm?

Thanks,

Randy

firedog

« Reply #36 on: 20 Dec 2009, 05:14 pm »
Empirical Audio is also coming out with USB that will work with files above 24/96 in 2010. It will be above $2k, though.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #37 on: 20 Dec 2009, 05:22 pm »
If you have a DAC that is capable of 24bit/192KHz the new M2Tech HiFace USB to S/PDIF converter will drive it as an external DAC.  The driver available at this point for PC works with either Foobar 2000 or MediaMonkey as the front end.  They have released a MAC driver as well.

The USB to RCA unit is $150 from Tweek Geek if anyone is interested.   Works very well here.

pardales

« Reply #38 on: 20 Dec 2009, 07:11 pm »

The few Firewire DAC's out there (Berkely, Weiss) are really expensive but seem well received.

MAudio has a device called the Profire 610. It is a serious piece of firewire based, PRO recording gear but has the interesting feature of being able to convert Firewire to SPDIF. NO USB. Anyway, I just got one and am trying it out to connect my computer to my DAC. 
« Last Edit: 20 Dec 2009, 08:11 pm by pardales »

trianglezerius

« Reply #39 on: 20 Dec 2009, 08:29 pm »
I second Danny's recommendation of the Tranquility DAC (www.dbaudiolabs.com) because its a very serious product. It beats up the more costly DAC's such as the Wavelength, Berkley, and others.

Check out my review here on Audio Circle: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74816.0

And another guy's review can be found on Audiogon here: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?rdgtl&1260416833&read&3&4&

Tom