Vick has landed .......

twitch54

Vick has landed .......
« on: 14 Aug 2009, 12:55 am »
Eagles sign Vick..let the PETA protests begin !  aa

dB Cooper

Re: Vick has landed .......
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2009, 01:00 am »
We'll see how he reacts the first road game when they start blasting "Who Let The Dogs Out" over the PA system...

zybar

• Facilitator
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2009, 01:09 am »
We'll see how he reacts the first road game when they start blasting "Who Let The Dogs Out" over the PA system...

Forget the road games...let's see how the Philly fans react.

Philly football fans are some of the most vicious, spiteful, and rude fans I have ever encountered at a pro football game - absolutely brutal!

George

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2009, 01:13 am »
Yeah, boxer Bernard Hopkins was once asked before a road bout about being booed, and his reply was "Hell, in Philly, they boo Santa Claus".

twitch54

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2009, 01:22 am »
Philly football fans are some of the most vicious, spiteful, and rude fans I have ever encountered at a pro football game - absolutely brutal!

George

And damn proud of it !! LOL !! truth be told when beer, testosterone and macho BS combine it tends to be not so good whatever stadium you're in.....with that being said the Eagles have the dubious distinction of having had Judge, Jurry and executioner (along with a jail) set-up within the bowls of the old Vet !

rydenfan

« Reply #5 on: 14 Aug 2009, 01:51 am »
I find Philly to be a very odd place for Vick to land. I understand that Kob was injured and they are lacking a back-up but they just signed McNabb to a pretty large contract in the off season. I just think there are better spots for him both on and off the field and I am just not sure how he fits into philly's offense. I guess time will tell...

droht

« Reply #6 on: 14 Aug 2009, 01:52 am »

Forget the road games...let's see how the Philly fans react.

George

This will be a very interesting social experiment.  I remember TOs first game back in Philly after he went to the Cowboys.  Guys had  coffins in the parking lot with TO-jersey-wearing mannequins inside.  Others were burning TO in effigy, which usually consisted of a TO jersey stuffed with rags with some kind of fake head on top with a noose around the neck.  Wild scene.

hmen

« Reply #7 on: 14 Aug 2009, 02:31 am »
Yeah, boxer Bernard Hopkins was once asked before a road bout about being booed, and his reply was "Hell, in Philly, they boo Santa Claus".

They did boo Santa Claus at an Eagles game. NFL Films has shown it on ESPN many times.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #8 on: 14 Aug 2009, 02:45 am »
Darn, I've lost five bucks! I thought for sure Al Davis would have signed him!!!  :duh:
This is going to be fun to watch. How fresh can Vick's legs possibly be?   :lol:

Have fun,
Jerry

BikeWNC

« Reply #9 on: 14 Aug 2009, 03:18 am »
I can't see Vick being a factor on the Eagles until late in the season.  I'm sure it will take some time to get back to game shape and speed.  But, he can bring some interesting skills to the backfield.  Imagine McNabb, Vick and Westbrook in some kind of wildcat formation.  I'm a Giant fan and I'm not all that happy about Vick on the Eagles.

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 14 Aug 2009, 03:24 am »
I can't see Vick being a factor on the Eagles until late in the season.  I'm sure it will take some time to get back to game shape and speed.  But, he can bring some interesting skills to the backfield.  Imagine McNabb, Vick and Westbrook in some kind of wildcat formation.  I'm a Giant fan and I'm not all that happy about Vick on the Eagles.

Don't start worrying yet...

First off, we have no idea what type of shape Vick is in and how quickly he can get into football shape.

Secondly, I have to believe that the very sensitive McNabb can't be too happy with this pickup.

Thirdly, if Vick has anything left, it has the potential to cause a list of issues and maybe even fragment the team (especially if McNabb struggles).

The Giants will be fine - from one Giants fan to another.

George

droht

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2009, 03:42 am »
Well, the Birds were going to beat the Giants 2X this year with or without Mike Vick.  :D

Interestingly, I was just watching McNabb speak to press after the Eagles-Pats game tonight.  He said he lobbied all along for Vick to be brought in, and that he would be very happy to give up 5 snaps per game to Vick in order to create issues for defensive coordinators who have to gameplan the Eagles.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2009, 12:31 pm »
Let's see how Vick comes across on James Brown interview this Sunday on 60 minutes.  I am all for 2nd chance if he truly has turned things around.  Iggles surprised me, though.  :o

zybar

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 14 Aug 2009, 12:34 pm »

Well, the Birds were going to beat the Giants 2X this year with or without Mike Vick.  :D

We shall see...while the Eagles always play the Giants well, I am guessing it won't be a sweep.

George

droht

« Reply #14 on: 15 Aug 2009, 04:57 am »
Been pretty crazy the previous 24 hours in Philly with the Mike Vick thing.  Almost sounds like the Eagles want to support Vick more than they are worried about his football performance.  I know that can't be true, but that is how it seems.  Andy Reid is talking about his sons' issues with drugs and guns. Easy parallel to draw to Vick, not to mention Tony Dungy, who is deeply involved in this.  Owner Jeffrey Lurie said that Vick must be a positive force for animal rights, or else the signing was a mistake.

All in all very interesting.  The contract, featuring a team option for a second year at 5.6 million $ iirc seems odd to me.  They are only going to pay Vick that next year if he is their starting QB.  They just gave McNabb a bunch of money.   I guess you can look at Vick as x factor type player this season, and something of an insurance policy for McNabb next year and beyond. 

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2009, 11:02 am »

Secondly, I have to believe that the very sensitive McNabb can't be too happy with this pickup.

Thirdly, if Vick has anything left, it has the potential to cause a list of issues and maybe even fragment the team (especially if McNabb struggles).

+1.  McNabb is bound to get all butthurt over it, especially when he struggles and has to hear the local sportswriters calling for Vick to start.  It would be more of a QB controversy if Vick hadn't been out of football for so long but it's still going to be an issue.

But Vick on some levels brings some of the same attributes as McNabb.  McNabb has a lot higher football IQ and is a more accurate passer but Vick is more mobile and very dangerous on the run.  If he can keep his nose clean Philly might be good for him.