amplifier and preamp aging

rlw3

amplifier and preamp aging
« on: 20 Jan 2009, 10:44 pm »
when and how does equipment wear out over five or ten or fifteen years? from use or simply by the passage of time? what parts wear out first? what sonic degradation does this cause? when wheel bearings go out in a car you never realize the level of noise until you change them out. i suspect that audio gear change in quality is equally slow and subtle.

CSI

Re: amplifier and preamp aging
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:42 am »

You will probably get lots of answers to this. Here is mine (based on experience and what I know of electronics - I'm not an engineer).

Tube gear will, of course wear out pretty quickly but the tubes are replaceable. Power amp tubes may only be good for a year or two (with daily use), preamp tubes will last much longer.

Other tube gear parts will tend to go a bit faster than solid state stuff because of higher chassis temps. This will include capacitors (they tend to dry out). However, we are now talking ten or twenty years or more, depending on the design.

In theory, solid state stuff may go along indefinitely without "wear" - including caps. I have an old Denon receiver that has had daily use (first in my wife's business office and now in her hobby room) since the 70's. No problems.

Many pots (volume controls, etc) will get noisy over time but can usually be cleaned and returned to like new status.

So most gear will last for a very long time and, if SS, may need zero maintenance. It basically won't "age" in that sense. There is even a school of thought that believes some gear gets better with age - even after the initial break in period. I couldn't say.

Roger A. Modjeski

Re: amplifier and preamp aging
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jan 2009, 04:35 pm »
When I designed the RM-9 I carefully researched 10,000 hour tube life and I got it and more. We have some units with 20,000 hours on the Siemens outputs. Drivers last till they get noisy or won't balance. That can be 20,000 hours too. Many amp makers think 1000-2000 hours is good, I don't even though I sell tubes.

I sold an amp to a local friend in 1989, 20 years ago. He plays it an average of 1000 hours a year. I have replaced only one of the Siemens output tubes and all is well.