Questions

timjthomas

Questions
« on: 25 Dec 2008, 06:09 pm »
Merry Christmas All,

I have a few questions on the Omega speakers.  I primarily listen to classical (80%) as well as blues & blues/rock (20%) at relatively low volumes.  I currently have Totem Arro's with a Jolida 1701a amp.

How do the Omega's work with classical music?  How do they compare to Totem Arro's.  What about other speakers such as the Horne Shoppe, Dr. Geddes, Audiokinesis, or Salk?

Thanks,

Tim

ZLS

Re: Questions
« Reply #1 on: 25 Dec 2008, 07:20 pm »
 aa   Answer, More Questions;

1. What type of classical music; large scale symphonic, Chamber Orchestra, String Quartets, Choral, Solo Piano? 
2. Have you ever listened to a Single Driver Speaker Before?
3. Acoustic Blues on an Omega Speaker is a truly involving experience; as is Electric Blues/Blues Rock.  IMHO Blues/Rock needs to be cranked up to truly participate in the experience. 
PM me or list some of your favorite recordings here so we can establish a common frame of reference. 

timjthomas

« Reply #2 on: 25 Dec 2008, 07:36 pm »
aa   Answer, More Questions;

1. What type of classical music; large scale symphonic, Chamber Orchestra, String Quartets, Choral, Solo Piano? 
2. Have you ever listened to a Single Driver Speaker Before?
3. Acoustic Blues on an Omega Speaker is a truly involving experience; as is Electric Blues/Blues Rock.  IMHO Blues/Rock needs to be cranked up to truly participate in the experience. 
PM me or list some of your favorite recordings here so we can establish a common frame of reference. 

1. Primarily chamber music -- Bach's cello suites is my favorite.  But I also enjoy Chopin's piano works as well as Brahms Violin works.  Also love Beethoven and Rachmaninov's piano concerto's.

2. I don't believe so.

3. John Mayall, Buddy Guy, Albert King, SRV.

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2008, 04:10 am »
Bach's cello suites is my favorite.  But I also enjoy Chopin's piano works as well as Brahms Violin works.  Also love Beethoven and Rachmaninov's piano concerto's.

Me too, and Omega Superhemps nail the suites by Rostropovich. They are the only speakers I've heard that have made me believe there is a cello in the room.

I have 2 deep hemp subs as well, they are not needed for the cello, but are needed for much other music IMO.

ZLS

« Reply #4 on: 26 Dec 2008, 04:40 am »
>>. Primarily chamber music -- Bach's cello suites is my favorite.  But I also enjoy Chopin's piano works as well as Brahms Violin works.  Also love Beethoven and Rachmaninov's piano concerto's.<<

I say this without fear of contradiction by any other Omega Owner.  Listening to Bach's Cello Suites (Janos Starker is my favorite) on a pair of Omega Alnico Driver Speakers will bring tears to your eyes because you are so completely and totally overwhelmed by the beauty of the music.  The purity of tone, The directness of communication will bypass the logical and reach right into the emotional core of your brain. 
    The same is true of the beauty of Chopin's work.

I love listening to the Blues on my Omegas; but LOUD!!  This only proves that even great minds can disagree. 

timjthomas

« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2008, 11:59 am »
>>. Primarily chamber music -- Bach's cello suites is my favorite.  But I also enjoy Chopin's piano works as well as Brahms Violin works.  Also love Beethoven and Rachmaninov's piano concerto's.<<

I say this without fear of contradiction by any other Omega Owner.  Listening to Bach's Cello Suites (Janos Starker is my favorite) on a pair of Omega Alnico Driver Speakers will bring tears to your eyes because you are so completely and totally overwhelmed by the beauty of the music.  The purity of tone, The directness of communication will bypass the logical and reach right into the emotional core of your brain. 
    The same is true of the beauty of Chopin's work.

I love listening to the Blues on my Omegas; but LOUD!!  This only proves that even great minds can disagree. 

Thanks!  Which Omega do you recommend?  Anyway to hear them in the Detroit area?

As for loud -- I love to play Blues loud as well -- but try to keep the volume low to predict my hearing. 

ZLS

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2008, 01:12 pm »
>>Thanks!  Which Omega do you recommend?  Anyway to hear them in the Detroit area?
As for loud -- I love to play Blues loud as well -- but try to keep the volume low to predict my hearing.<<

I would definitely go for the Alnico Drivers, so that would be a 6" or 8" Driver.  I would call Louis Chochos (203) 847-2800 would loves to help his customers pick out the right speaker for their particular needs. 

Regarding Loudness of playing the Blues, on retrospection I realized that I wasn't communicating correctly.  Often times people crank up the volume in a vain attempt to get closer to and understand the story the artist is trying to tell.  This is not necessary with Omega's.  I value above all the qualities that my Omega's posses, is the way they allow me to get what the artist is saying.  Every artist brings part of themselves to whatever they're performing.  Same instrument, same notes, entirely different music. 
    This is hard to articulate, but once you hear it you will say, " Okay, now I know what he was getting at!" 

These are a few of the Blues Records that I love listening to on my Omega's. 

B.B. King -Live at the Regal
Junior Wells-Live At Theresa's
Etta Baker-One Dime Blues
Howlin' Wolf-The Real Folk Blues
Count Basie and Joe Turner-The Bosses
Otis Spann-Good Morning Mr. Blues
Alberta Hunter-Amtrack Blues

Read the Posts here in the Omega Circle; to say that we are passionate about our Omega Speakers is like saying Rembrandt could paint. 

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2008, 09:33 pm »
Hi, below is a draft for a new page we're working on for Omega's site. It's based on an interview with Louis, and reflects my personal experiences having owned two Omega models (Compact Hemps, and now Super 6 Alnico Monitors and a DeepHemp sub). I have heard many speakers in my life. But none as pure and intimate as Omega's.

As previously noted , calling Louis is your best bet to get advice regarding which model is the best fit for a given budget / room / listening preference. All Omega owners should be able to back me on this: Louis is a real straight shooter. He has a real passion for his work. And his speakers deliver well beyond their price points (both quality of construction and sound).

P.S. Excuse a few typos. This is only draft.

Good luck with your selection process. Kent

ZLS

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2008, 11:50 am »
Hi, below is a draft for a new page we're working on for Omega's site. It's based on an interview with Louis, and reflects my personal experiences having owned two Omega models (Compact Hemps, and now Super 6 Alnico Monitors and a DeepHemp sub). I have heard many speakers in my life. But none as pure and intimate as Omega's.

As previously noted , calling Louis is your best bet to get advice regarding which model is the best fit for a given budget / room / listening preference. All Omega owners should be able to back me on this: Louis is a real straight shooter. He has a real passion for his work. And his speakers deliver well beyond their price points (both quality of construction and sound).

P.S. Excuse a few typos. This is only draft.

Good luck with your selection process. Kent

It makes no difference that I cannot read the words; I want a tee-shirt with the please recycle visual!  I cannot think of a better example of the expression, "A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words" 

Well Done Kent

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2008, 02:25 pm »
It makes no difference that I cannot read the words; I want a tee-shirt with the please recycle visual!  I cannot think of a better example of the expression, "A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words" 

Well Done Kent

Thanks for the positive feedback.

This page is our attempt to get to the heart of WHY Omega speakers sound the way they do. In the end it comes down to single point source and overtones. An Omega Alnico properly set up has a certain magic that no other speaker I've heard quite matches.

The graphic is a bit 'edgy,' but Louis agreed it got the point across, so we plan to run with it.

To read the words, go to the bottom of your screen and try moving the AudioCircle horizontal scroll bar. This should allow you to see the entire page.

BTW: I like your idea re. the T-shirt  :idea:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2008, 03:06 pm »
It is indeed a little edgy and I am not sure I agree with all the comments, but I still like it!   :thumb:

It is thought provoking and the graphic definitely gets Louis' philosophy across.

George

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2008, 04:17 pm »
It is indeed a little edgy and I am not sure I agree with all the comments, but I still like it!   :thumb:
George
Hi George and others who read this. If you have comments, good, bad or indifferent, please feel free to PM. The Omega web site is a work in progress. If anyone feels we're missing the mark, your feedback will help us better understand how to craft an appropriate message. Kent

Eadron

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2008, 04:41 pm »
Kent,

the page is must add on to the Omega weg page, explaining what's a single driver speaker in a first place. After hearing Alnico Super Hemps I knew there's no turning back to conventional, multi driver speakers. As you mentioned they demand to be set up correctly, but once that done, everything is oh, so beautiful  :thumb:.

I have also owned myself countless number of speakers; Dynaudio, Opera, WB, Ref 3a,Dunlavy, SF, Audio Physic, Avantgarde to name a few. Avantgardes were in my place at the same time I got the Alnico Super Hemps. No contest, my friends. But I must add I have traveled a long way to fully understand and appreciate what Omega really has to offer.

Now I'm waiting my last speakers, 8" Alnico XRSes  aa..

Good work, Kent and Louis  :thumb:!

jouni

PS. Please, note an error from the quotes section;  the Max Hemp is now of course The Super 8" Alnico XRS.. :nono:   

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2008, 05:36 pm »
PS. Please, note an error from the quotes section;  the Max Hemp is now of course The Super 8" Alnico XRS.. :nono:   
Thanks for your feedback -- and good catch on the XRS! Kent

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2008, 07:53 pm »
BTW: Here is the original question. If you have feedback on the new Web page, please drop me a PM so we can keep this thread on topic...

"I have a few questions on the Omega speakers.  I primarily listen to classical (80%) as well as blues & blues/rock (20%) at relatively low volumes.  I currently have Totem Arro's with a Jolida 1701a amp.

How do the Omega's work with classical music?  How do they compare to Totem Arro's.  What about other speakers such as the Horne Shoppe, Dr. Geddes, Audiokinesis, or Salk?"

Kent