Empirical Audio Mods to Audio Note DAC 4.1x Signature

jb0194

First of all, please read my review of the Empirical Audio mods to my Pioneer PD-65 transport put on this site a few months back. That review covers Steve Nugent's unbeatable customer service which, IMO,  is a huge part of any modification project. I'm happy to say that my DAC mods received the same high level of customer service. Our conversations during the process convinced me that Steve took a genuine personal interest in making my unit reach its full potential. I'd gone elsewhere in the past for other component mods and let me tell you, that intangible "customer service" part of the process was always missing.

Why mod this DAC?

Two words: TRUST and CONFIDENCE

Steve's transport mods had added SO MUCH to the performance of my system that I HAD to ask if he would run my DAC through its paces and determine any parts/circuits which would benefit from upgrading.

I'm so glad he agreed to do so. When he let me know of possible upgrades my decsion was a no brainer - TRUST and CONFIDENCE.

What did I gain?

1.) Highs were now both more vivid and more natural.

The best measure of this is King Crimson's "B'Boom" double live cd.
I've tried to enjoy this cd for a few years now as my system has evolved. I know this music well from KC's studio albums, but always found the busier live passages to be grating cacaphony at best. Steve's transport mods helped a great deal by solidfying imaging. His DAC mods finally took the edge off the "harshest treble" cd I own. It's now a treat to listen to. It's now obvious that the mix on "Elephant Talk" and "Indiscipline" intentionally mimic their studio versions - Fripp's guitar/effects forming a huge wall of sound with Belew's vocals and own guitar work firmly anchored at front center and quite separate.

2.) Bass has become noticeably more articulate.

A good example is Richard Thompson's "Live at Crawley 1993". I can now hear every pluck and bow Danny Thompson makes on his upright bass with amazing presence and realism.

In short, Steve's latest mods fine tuned both the top and bottom ends of the musical spectrum in an already highly satisfying 2 channel system.

The cost, $600. But know that I specifically asked Steve to go all out on a "one time only" upgrade. FWIW I've seen an Audio Note DAC mod advertised on another site - to the tune of over $4000!

Believe me, it took a lot of trust and confidence for me to let Steve swap out parts like the AN copper foil paper-in-oil output caps for others he's found to sound better. But I've learned to trust both my own ears and those of professionals who've demonstrated their own ears and expertise to me in the past.

Steve Nugent has a GREAT ear for music reproduction and is a WIZARD with digital gear.

Enough said.

jb

bambadoo

« Reply #1 on: 7 Jan 2004, 01:37 pm »
To which capasitators were an paper in oil caps substituted with?

best regards

jb0194

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jan 2004, 03:28 pm »
I'm not a parts expert by any means and don't wish to give the wrong data.

I'd suggest you ask Steve. He's in Vegas for the Show, but should be back in a week or so. (I know because when he gets back I'm having him mod a mint used Pioneer Elite PDR-09 as a transport - the build quality of the 900 series units is quite suoerior to the PD-65).

audioengr

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2004, 05:26 pm »
I put Multicap RTX's in for John.