if you were to buy a new TT mid priced-real world ????

AliG

Re: if you were to buy a new TT mid priced-real world ????
« Reply #20 on: 16 Apr 2008, 12:55 am »
If you can spend $4k, then I will buy this:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1212705739

It is brand new in the box, you pay $3300 for a setup that retails at $4800 :o... no joke... because I just bought one from him.. :wink: :wink: :wink:

2bigears

« Reply #21 on: 16 Apr 2008, 03:30 pm »
 :D  hi all,soooo after a day of lookin' and thinkin', this is what i came up with ---- get a AT-PL120 with a better stylus as John has recommended,or get real deep and scoop a VPI Scoutmaster with Shelter 501.i will need a good cleaner for sure and i should be off to the races.this is classic Little step -- Big step stuff.i like to but things i percentage numbers so i was wondering with the small step,what % will i get in sound quality as to the big step.we all know the return laws here,but if anyone can lay down some numbers,that would help me pick which route to follow.thks  :D thks for all your help :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #22 on: 16 Apr 2008, 04:36 pm »
As the format itself is the most limiting factor in the chain, the difference between merely good and excellent analog front ends I'd put at maybe 10%.  We, as audiophools, pay a lot for that additional 10% in performance......Joe Q. Public wouldn't was nuances over 'articulate bass' or 'extended, airy treble response', ya' know  :wink:

It's debatable whether the Scoutmaster/Shelter $3K) would be substantially better than the AT anyhow.  Without tightly regulated speed regulation, the VPI is at the mercy of the oft-wavering AC line frequency to keep it on time.  You are largely dependent on inertia of it's 10lb.+ platter to keep it on time any better than a vintage 80's cassette deck (frankly, tho it's so-so as a music source, CD/Redbook has quietly all taught us the lessons of speed sensitivity and accuracy over the past 2 decades).

You would need to invest another $1000 in VPI's (outboard) SDS unit to get the VPI to the AT's level of sophistication in speed regulation.  It's not to say OTHER aspects of the VPI performance could/would be superior, but speed regulation would be, by it's very basic belt drive/AC synchonous motor'ed design, worse than the AT's until you invested another $1000.00. 

I recommended the AT-PL120 as it's very inexpensive, absolutely new and requires zero set-up (what little there is is already done by LPGear).  You simply set it down on a solid surface, plug the interconnect leads into a phono stage, turn up your volume and play your records.  When you go to sell it (and you likely will in some period of time as you're an vinyl-phool now  :icon_lol:), perhaps the worst you will lose in the transaction will be $140 (50% of new).

I would recommend stands/isolation (the IKEA birch cutting blocks or other hardwood.....this investment is likely better than similar money spent on the next level of cartridge performance) and a $150 (KAB) to $250 (Nitty Gritty) record cleaner with cleaning supplies.  This is an indispensible aid and will follow you on your vinyl journey thru many deck swaps in the future.

Enjoy your decision - either way...John

Wayner

« Reply #23 on: 16 Apr 2008, 04:51 pm »
I like John's suggestion for the AT-PL120 table. It has a price of a simple 1 stall CD player and IF/WHEN you want to upgrade, it's no big deal, sell it or put it in the closet, or put it in a different system.

I do think you could do better than the $50 dollars AT-95 cartridge. It tracks fairly heavy and doesn't have the Microline stylus. The next model up in my book would be.....the Audio Technica AT440MLa. That's cause I'm the offical pimp for this cart (at least here at AC). It sould be a great fit with an Audio Technica table. No need for a preamp if yours has MM phono input. It will sound great.

Wayner

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 16 Apr 2008, 05:07 pm »
Wayner,

The LPGear package with the AT95 cartridge has the upgraded (aftermarket) hyperelliptical stylus added...not the standard elliptical of the AT95e (I think).  For $10.00 more, one can upgrade to the Shibata stylus....likely the best profile yet invented for vinyl playback (debatable, as is everything of course :wink:).

Frankly, I'm not sure how LPGear packs all that in for $279.00....the deck alone (san all the extras they throw in) costs that much at many retailers.

Electrically, the AT95 has 20% less inductance than the AT440...so, theoretically at least, cleaner, more extended and transparent treble than the AT440MLa is possible with the AT95SA cartridge.

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=LPGAT95SA&Category_Code=LPGCART

2bigears

« Reply #25 on: 16 Apr 2008, 05:14 pm »
 :D  well that ought' a do it.for a start this sounds pretty good and the wife will green light this in a nanosecond.lpgear have a phone # or do thet just like emails.???? thks guys waiting for that ups dude again.also,what cables does a guy need to finish this ???? :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #26 on: 16 Apr 2008, 05:32 pm »
I'd call 'em/costs all the same....upgrade to the SA version with Shibata stylus...it's worth the few $$.

Yeah, that's another benefit.....you need not go to extreme (pleading? :lol:) lengths to explain this purchase to your wife  :thumb:

Enjoy - John

twitch54

« Reply #27 on: 16 Apr 2008, 07:05 pm »
FWIW, Amazon has AT-PL120's advirtised for $159.95 !

2bigears

« Reply #28 on: 16 Apr 2008, 07:12 pm »
   :D  dang,just sent the order with LP.... :D

TheChairGuy

« Reply #29 on: 16 Apr 2008, 07:48 pm »
Did you order it with the upgraded Shibata stylus?  I'd suggest that for the measly few $ extra...

At $160 + $80 cartridge (plus they set it up and throw in a heavy mat)...it's worth the extra $40 from LPGear.  Don't sweat it.

btw, very good reviews on the product from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/review/product/B00012EYNG/ref=cm_cr_pr_recent?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

None of them are snooty audiophools of course...but after 170 reviews you'd see a trend of some problem with the product if there was one.  If any, they are mild and few.  A good deck to start vinyl life with, I think  :wink:

John

2bigears

« Reply #30 on: 16 Apr 2008, 08:38 pm »
 :D John,thks for the help,and i did get the AT95SA stylus.thks any cables that work better ???? :D

twitch54

« Reply #31 on: 16 Apr 2008, 08:46 pm »
bigears, as John has stated, most intellegently I might add, your going about this in a wise manner that I think you will be happy with. In time you can then decide if the additonal $$ is justified for the 10% or so of sonic improvement ! Good luck, enjoy spinning your "black pizza" and remember this quote from Shelby Lynne......."you can't roll a joint on an I-Pod, buy more vinyl"  !!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #32 on: 16 Apr 2008, 09:08 pm »
:D John,thks for the help,and i did get the AT95SA stylus.thks any cables that work better ???? :D

No need for cables I think......you are relegated to use the cheesy built-in ones that the AT provides.  If your the handy sort, you can always change them out....but I wouldn't bother as a starter unit. The 'SA/Shibata stylus' and the deck should be making nice sounds for the money.

Consider selling your CDP or Dac now as every week it'll be worth less gathering dust in your system  :wink: :icon_lol:

Check back with us on your results...or better yet, post your impressions of the unit here on in the 'Reviews' circle.

Ciao, John