Revs two x-overs,anyone heard both ??

2bigears

Revs two x-overs,anyone heard both ??
« on: 27 Dec 2007, 01:42 pm »
:D  Can anyone comment a word or two on the big x-over compared to the standard x-over on the Revs.Have only a few days to decide on which way to go.Most people think big,costs a whole lot more ??  thks for any help  :D

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
Re: Revs two x-overs,anyone heard both ??
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2007, 01:55 pm »
I will have the big Ultimates in my room asap, but can't compare.  I've never heard the non-Mundorf Revs, let alone in my same room where a fair comparo would begin.  I think you are out of luck, but maybe someone has heard both demo'd at the factory.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 27 Dec 2007, 02:05 pm »
:D  thks ted_b ,Bob at the door yet ?? Have fun with that today.I quess you scoop the big x-over on good faith.What are you amping those speakers with ?? Keep us all posted.  thks.  Pat

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Dec 2007, 02:08 pm »
:D  thks ted_b ,Bob at the door yet ?? Have fun with that today.I quess you scoop the big x-over on good faith.What are you amping those speakers with ?? Keep us all posted.  thks.  Pat

I believe that Ted is going to drive them with the excellent McCormack DNA-500.

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2007, 02:34 pm »

I believe that Ted is going to drive them with the excellent McCormack DNA-500.

George
Yep.  And thanks to you, George, for turning me on to Steve McCormack and his amps.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2007, 02:39 pm »
:D  thks George and Ted,i loaded one of those in the stand last night and that really was the closest time yet on my first hernia  :lol: .Does not sound that great with the old B&W 802'S.... A lot of headroom though,that thing is a fire breathing dragon for sure. :o  happy new year all.

Double Ugly

« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2007, 02:44 pm »
I've never heard the non-Mundorf Revs, let alone in my same room where a fair comparo would begin.

The last part is true, but the 'standard' crossover Pat references is the Mundorf crossover you and I heard in Denver.

I think he's trying to decide if he should go with what you and I heard or step it up a notch... like you and I did.  :lol:

I'll check back in tonight to see how things are going, Ted.  You ought to be twitching with anticipation 'bout now.  :D

"On the road again.... just can't wait to get on the road again..." :roll:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2007, 02:58 pm »
Ah true, Jim.  I didn't even think about the fact that the ONLY Revs I've ever heard (those at Steve's) were Mundorf'd all right, but only standard fare.   

BTW, these are the fourth straight set of speakers I've bought completely unheard (ordered and paid back in the Spring, way before RMAF).  The list includes the RSA Sasons, the VMPS RM/X's and initially the VMPS Super Tower IIA/r se's.  That takes me back 21 years, so I'm not one to change partners too often. And in this case I'll likely move the Sasons to another room cuz they are too good to part with easily (unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse... :uzi: )  This "listen before you buy" stuff is way over-rated (or I'm damn lucky).  :thumb:

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2007, 03:44 pm »
 :D Ted,treat us with info and pics asap   :drool:

RodMCV

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2007, 03:48 pm »
That's right Ted;

We are all biting at the bit,
  waiting for a glimpse
     of your Holy Grail Of Sound.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2007, 04:15 pm »
Not sure they've left Indiana.........this is worse than tracking Santa.   :hyper:

BTW, realistically pix will not be ready until the week-end (the room is a mess!!!!!).  OK, maybe a couple. :wink:

EDIT:  Santa, er Bob-n-Jason, spotted packing the truck at noon.  ETA is 5pm.
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2007, 05:27 pm by ted_b »

RodMCV

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2007, 04:43 pm »
Ted,
You are a Great Buddy-o,
I will to wait.

Say high to Bob and Jason for me!

Rod

2bigears

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2007, 06:26 pm »
:D  Ted,just wondering if your DNA-500 is factory stock or modded by the master himself.???? :D   [in a holding pattern till your info comes down the pipe.]

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2007, 07:02 pm »
Factory stock, with HiFI Tuning Fuse in the main AC.  The damn thing has like 13 fuses but I haven't gotten to the internal ones yet (Steve recommends them and the single ac one was a slight improvement in dynamics).  My DNA-1 center channel amp has a slight mod (bought it used).

Steve's DNA-500 mods are very new, his newest.  Not sure I've heard any feedback on them yet.  I'd be surprised if the word is anything but "great" but haven't read much about the mod except that it now exists finally. (George had been egg'ing Steve on for months to do that mod back when he owned his DNA-500, and SM alluded to it being in the future plans at the time).

2bigears

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2007, 07:21 pm »
 :D  thks.I did chat with SM on the 500,the mod is 2200.Maybe sometime down the road. :D :drool:

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2007, 05:18 am »
OK, so I have to post something right?  Well, Bob and Jason showed up about 6pm and just left (midnight).  They have a 5 hr drive back to Indiana!!  Bob will sleep while Jason listens to his girlfriend, the Garmin GPS chick, talk to him.   :)

The Revs are incredible, and this is with about 40 lbs of Mundorf caps (holy sh$5t they are huge!!) needing about 2000 hours of break in.  I'll post pix this weekend. 

The outboard crossover boxes are nice (and huge).  Bob didn't have his cables quite ready yet.  The real value of these cables are the zero resonance, perfectly matched capacitance he figures into them, based on length, etc.....and we had to redo the math, so he needed to redo the entire cable run.  Stay tuned.  In the meantime we used my AZ Satori biwire shotgun from DNA-500 amp to crossover, then some Canare star quad biwire I had, from xover to speaker.   

By the time we finished setting them up, wiring them up, labeling the crossover boxes and toe-ing them in properly (much less toe in than the Sasons) it was 10pm.  Then after listening for about an hour to 4 or 5 different setups (Transporter as source, Transporter as dac, Modwright 3910 analog, Bob/Jason's own DVD-to-Orpheaus DAC setup) we all had a good-but-not-great kind of response.  It wasn't until I realized I had installed some older Kimber Hero XLR cables between pre and amp, and promptly replaced them with good ole' BlueJean Belden 1800F XLR's...then the fun began.  Wow!  The soundstage opened up, the transient attack was mindblowing.  The dynamics of the Revs are one of their most obvious features, along with musically accurate and deep bass.  But it's the other things, the layering, the timbre, that later become patently obvious.  And the microdynamics aren't even there yet (a few hundred hours or so). 

I'm tired, but happy.  Will post more later.....I just hope Bob and Jason have a safe trip back.  My home was all full of relatives tonight, and although I offered a floor to sleep on they needed to get back.  Thanks again to the both of them; two better people you'd be hard pressed to find.  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2007, 05:23 am »
Nice....I'm glad they arrived Ted....I was just about to post asking if you had gotten them yet....have fun.... :dance:

Chris

Double Ugly

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2007, 05:35 am »
Congrats, Ted!   :beer:

I know it'll be a while yet before you're fully aware of what you have (break-in, getting Bob's cables, etc.), but man, oh man... what a treat!

(A belated) Merry Christmas, my friend!  :D

-Jim

jfreeman373

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2007, 06:14 am »
we are "on the road again"
at a rest stop
"on my pda"
how's that song go?

dang these buttons are small!
had a good time.....have to post more when we have acces to a "real" keyboard.  ted and rob were greeat. had a good time. post more soon.

Frank S.

« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2007, 07:29 am »
  Wow!  The soundstage opened up, the transient attack was mindblowing.  The dynamics of the Revs are one of their most obvious features, along with musically accurate and deep bass.  But it's the other things, the layering, the timbre, that later become patently obvious.  And the microdynamics aren't even there yet (a few hundred hours or so). 

Ahhhhh! Sounds familiar... :thumb:  Congrats on the Revs Ted.  Keep us posted!  :beer: