We have a Winner>>FIRST IMPRESSIONS OF THE NEW MINIS (MAJOR MAXIS!!)

bbchem

:D No reason, I have a pair laying around and I am always curious if they make any difference. They certainly don't need them at all

Regards, Bill   :P

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
:D No reason, I have a pair laying around and I am always curious if they make any difference. They certainly don't need them at all

Regards, Bill   :P
Thanks Bill... :thumb:

My only experience with super tweeters was SET Man's system.
Buddy with his single driver speakers uses them.

bbchem

:icon_lol:  I originally purchased them for some of my single driver units.  :icon_lol:

IronLion

Question- what wood finish is that?  Also, hows the bass response in your room? 

bbchem

aa  Mine are the cherry finish. I have not actually measured yet with a test cd which I will shortly. All I can say is that I have a drum set in my house, and I know the actual sound in my room. The bass is very tight and punchy as it should be. I have some chesky test cds I tested and the sound is very snappy and quick for a snare or bass drum which is almost electrostatic in nature. I despise boomy bass or sloppy bass and there is none of that here at all. This is why all the instruments are natural sounding and very well defined.

I will see if I can get some measurements shortly.

Regards, Bill  :thumb:

bbchem

aa  As I promised Bob, if I was happy with the speakers I would also post on Audiogon as well. My post and several response are on their forum now and I will continue to update both as I play around with various combos of equipment.

Audiogon>>  Forum> Speakers>>    We have a Winner -- Major "MINI" monitors

All the responses have been cordial so far     :thumb:

lonewolfny42

Bill....

I despise boomy bass or sloppy bass and there is none of that here at all. This is why all the instruments are natural sounding and very well defined.

A strong foundation....makes it sound real. That is one of the main reasons I really like the SP Tech's.... 8)

All the responses have been cordial so far ...
Good....but its early yet. :lol:

Have fun Bill..... :wink:

bbchem

:lol:  I pulled out my Stereophile Editors Choice test Cd last night and tried the Bass warbles. What I found was that there is much usable Bass at 40HZ. At 30HZ you can still hear it but there is a drop off. At 25 and 20 its just a feeling. 

I saw on my post on Audiogon that people  have expressed amazement that the speakers cross over so low. Many had good things to say about SP TEch and Bob in general.  Hopefully it will stir new interest. Some inquired about a web site and more info  :thumb:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
:lol: Ok, as per the request hear is a partial list that I can remember. They are not in any particular order.

1. ZU DRUIDS
2. MARK AND DANIELS RUBYS
3. MAGNEPAN 1.6
4. TOTEM HAWK
5. JMLAB ELECTRA 906
6. USHER X-719
7. HORN SHOPPE HORN
8. OMEGA SUPER 3 ALNICO
9. OMEGA HEMP SUPER 3
10. POLK 5JR
11. DBX SOUNDFIELD 10S ?)
12. REFERENCE 3A DECAPO
13. REFERENCE 3A ROYAL MASTER
14. TOTEM RAINMAKER
15. MERLIN TSM-M
16. JMLAB CHORUS
17. MARTIN LOGAN CLS
18. MARTIN LOGAN CLS NEWER
19. TRIANGLE TITUS
20. GALLO MINIS
21. B&W MATRIX 805
22. PROAC TABLETTES
23. TOTEM MODEL ONE
24. MAGNEPAN MMG
25. SEVERAL OTHER MINOR ONES

Nice list and a few good speakers, but where is the "highest rated speakers on earth"??

It certainly isn't on this list.

George

bbchem

:|  Dear sir from Emerald Physics, since I read so much about equipment at several different Audio sites, in my humble opinion, from putting together all the sound bites from the different site reviews, the Zu Druids could be considered the highest rated speaker currently. This is based on the number of total positive comments and the extent and weight of awards given again IMHO. As you know, these things change all the time as something new comes out. I find that lately there are so many wonderful products out there and since we are all subjective human beings, what floats my boat may not float someone else. I am not knocking anyones products, just stating my feeling on this current model for SP Tech. 

P.S. I left two speakers off my list >>   APOGEE SLANT 6 AND APOGEE STAGE

Regards, Bill :|

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
:|  Dear sir from Emerald Physics, since I read so much about equipment at several different Audio sites, in my humble opinion, from putting together all the sound bites from the different site reviews, the Zu Druids could be considered the highest rated speaker currently. This is based on the number of total positive comments and the extent and weight of awards given again IMHO. As you know, these things change all the time as something new comes out. I find that lately there are so many wonderful products out there and since we are all subjective human beings, what floats my boat may not float someone else. I am not knocking anyones products, just stating my feeling on this current model for SP Tech. 

P.S. I left two speakers off my list >>   APOGEE SLANT 6 AND APOGEE STAGE

Regards, Bill :|

Bill,

I agree that there are many wonderful products and everything about this hobby is totally subjective.

Maybe that's why I questioned the choice of words used...

Now that I know what you consider to be the highest rated speakers on earth, it can help myself and possibly others put your comments on the Mini's in the proper context.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me and for clarifying.   :thumb:

BTW, I am not from Emerald Physics, I am simply a dealer of their speakers.

George

bbchem

:)   Thanks, let me qualify that when I say that the Druids appear to be the highest rated speaker they are not my highest rated speaker. I prefer the Minis over the Druids. I am only stating kind of of a "Review of Reviews" so to speak. As the technology improves it appears that the quality may be converging and thus like the controversial "Total Harmonic Distortion" of old , got lower than 0.1%, or the near the threshold of human hearing, Loudspeakers are getting closer and closer to the live event or at least to a level where we feel that the presentation given is satisfying to our ears for what we expect and like to hear. This is truly wonderful times for Audio, and I am sure in 10 or 20 years today's designs may seem primitive but still useable and enjoyable. You can still hear people extol the Virtues of some older models, and maybe they were as good or as similar sounding to today's.

IMHO, Bill   :roll:

Double Ugly

Let the accusations begin!
« Reply #32 on: 15 Dec 2007, 05:43 pm »
Well, I've added my 2 cents (more like a buck or so :roll:) to your Audiogon post, Bill.

If those inclined to cast "Shill!" aspersions are following the thread, I suspect I gave them sufficient reason to come out of the woodwork.  :lol:

2bigears

:D  SP Tech speakers use 30 year old build designs. That's why they sound so good.T-line and Wave guides are not new,just left behind.. :D

bbchem

:D   DU, I read your Audiogon reply and it really brings up the rear and says it all very eloquently! Thanks
       HOpe it helps the cause.

:thumb:

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Let the accusations begin!
« Reply #35 on: 15 Dec 2007, 06:25 pm »
"Shill!"

the rear

Even though others call you names, I still think you are a nice guy Jim. :lol:

Lin :)

2bigears

:D thinkin' Bob's gonna have to hire more people soon if not now??  :D

ooheadsoo

You guys sure have me excited about my TP3.0 order, and to think you guys have all of that at half price!   :green:  I'm looking forward to my extra 10hz of bass, though  :wink:

Double Ugly

Thanks for the kind words, fellas, and especially you for sticking up for me, Lin.  :wink:  :lol:

:D  SP Tech speakers use 30 year old build designs. That's why they sound so good.T-line and Wave guides are not new,just left behind.. :D

Hmmm.... I agree in part, Pat. 

The basis for Bob's designs may be 30 years old, but to my knowledge, no one has implemented a waveguide quite as successfully (such good dispersion characteristics, so low a crossover point) as Bob.  Additionally, as Bob has pointed out several times, his T-line design is proprietary.  Those who think differently can take it up with Bob; all I can say with any assurance is that no other T-line, conventional or subwoofer bass I've ever heard competes with what I hear from Bob's T-line.

IMHO, if it were so easy for every manufacturer to realize the success Bob's reaping from his designs, they'd all be doing it.  :wink:

:D thinkin' Bob's gonna have to hire more people soon if not now??  :D

Yes, I do. 

lonewolfny42

Now....you can't come down hard on George/zybar...he's heard the Revelation's...a  number of times...and he has enjoyed them from his reports. He does ask the right questions....it order to get the answers....and one's experience with the many lines that are out there.... 8)

The more you hear....the more you know.... :wink: