Band releases album on 3.5"floppy disk

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
Band releases album on 3.5"floppy disk
« on: 11 Oct 2007, 12:31 am »
How's this for maximum un-hifi-ness:

"A band has released an album on the near-obselete floppy disk format, managing to cram 74 minutes of music into 1.44MB of space."

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/127844/band-releases-album-on-floppy-disk.html

I bet it sounds great  :roll:

As for the heavy compression, here's what they had to say:

"Secondly, the scope of the project is to use heavy compression as a feature that shapes the music, instead of a limitation that reduces sound quality"

JohnR

Re: Band releases album on 3.5"floppy disk
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2007, 12:56 am »
Hah! I'm not even sure that I can read a floppy disk anymore..!

Someone should buy it though :thumb:

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2007, 01:04 am »
I downloaded the sample and foobar won't play it but dbPower Amp does show the info on it...

.7KHz sample rate. Frightening but supposedly that is in service of the music. I did get it to play, sort of. All I was able to hear was a low frequency pulse, which my computer speakers (Bose) could barely reproduce.

konut

• Came for the value, stayed for the drama
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2007, 01:38 am »
Thanks for this. I thought I'd never see the day that a digital medium was used to create music that the quality of which could be exceeded by 8 track tape. Further proof that the human race is doomed.  :slap: :bomb:

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2007, 11:34 am »
.7KHz sample rate. Frightening but supposedly that is in service of the music. I did get it to play, sort of. All I was able to hear was a low frequency pulse, which my computer speakers (Bose) could barely reproduce.

That was the track?  That's what it sounded like?  Ambient noisecore kind of thing?  Strange...

.7KHz !  AHAHaha

Oh dear, what is music becoming...  :duh: