Should I go in-wall speakers with a $500 - $1,000 pair budget?

Alwayswantmore

Comments on the quality / brands (or lack there of) for in-wall speakers appreciated. I already have an ACI Force XL sub. Looking for two speakers to be placed beside a 50" plasma TV. Need high WAF for a great room set up. Only plan to go 2 channel stereo -- not surround. Mostly into drama, so don't need loud volume for big action films. Vocal quality and good imaging are a big benefit.

Thanks. Kent

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Kent,

Based on my limited experience with in-wall speakers, I'd run not walk away from them.   :o  Sound quality from what I've heard is quite ordinary (not what I'd call "audiophile grade" at all).  I use in-walls for HT rear channels and they barely hold up their "end of the bargain" in a modest system that is a low priority to me.  I'd pre-wired while the room was being built and the rear wall is the first thing you see approaching the room from along that wall.  We painted the grills to match the wall.  IMO in-wall speakers should be saved for kitchen, bath, garage, and car systems. 

Assuming you like the ACI Force XL sub, and with your stated budget, I'd jump on a pair of Emeralds.  They can be made to match the sub, are small, and provide a good value.  If wife won't accept something this size, you could drop down to TBI diamonds (5 inch cube with single 3 inch driver for about $400/pair, various finishes available).  The Diamonds are supposed to be very placement friendly.  If she doesn't doesn't accept the Diamonds, I'd go with small Bose cubes long before in-wall speakers.

Frankly I don't understand the sense of asthetics that accepts the big TV screen, but pushes for tiny/invisible speakers, but its sure been working in the marketplace.   :roll:

MaxCast

I agree, doge the in-walls if you can.  If you don't want to see a black box next to the Tv try a different color wood/finish.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
You may want to see if you can listen to the new Revel Concerta series of inwalls.  I've not heard them but the others in the line are a pretty good sound for the money.  If these are purely for background music and TV/move watching, if they're voiced anything like the rest of the line, I'd think they'd be a good value.

Bryan

Alwayswantmore

Bryan, I'll do some on line research on the Revels. Otherwise, these comments confirm what I had read in other articles. I have never heard any in-walls, but was hoping against hope.

I found an alternative to in-walls in a positive review for an ON-wall speaker in my price range http://hometheatermag.com/inwallspeakers/1006bg/

I am also considering putting small bookshelf speakers in a yet to be purchased entertainment center. But bookshelves suffer when placed too close to the back wall or are enclosed within a shelving system  :duh: This will be our main living room, so I'm attempting to avoid stands.

Thanks again for the input. Kent

BRILEY804

Check your messages.....

gjs_cds

In-walls present a MASSIVE compromise in terms of driver performance.  First--it's impossible to control the Vas of the driver (size of the enclosure in which the driver is mounted), which presents a very big problem.  (The volume of air in an enclosure actually serves as mechanical resistance, which is a very big part of speaker design.)

Another phenomenon is that many speaker designs try to have the smallest baffle width possible, so that the two-pi diffraction is reduced.  The trick to get around this is to essentially boost the lower frequencies by using an inductor to attenuate everything above 500 hz or so.  So you'll loss overall efficiency.

I could go on and on about the compromises that in-walls forfeit, but I think you get the point. 

In short--in wall speakers are for sound.  Not for music or critical listening. 

Alwayswantmore

Points all well taken, I'm throwing in the white flag for in-walls. 

I am going to focus on speakers that either fit in a media cabinet (even ones that might be moved out of the cabinet for critical sessions). And I may try to track down dealers for some of the ON-wall options, just to see how they do. I'm thinking I might get an even better WAF with the speakers in a cabinet (as compared to On-wall). I have Omega Compact Hemps now (for my listening room), so I could consider one at their smaller speakers or others from vendors like ACI to find something that meets my needs.

MaxCast

If you can, think of a speaker that you could mount on a arm that would move out and away from the entertainment center.  Don't know how that would fit into your room but tucked away it could be good for waf and on movie night or music listening, swung out to get away from the entertainment center.

Alwayswantmore

Check your messages.....
Brad, I checked out their web site. Thanks again for the PM.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Should I go in-wall speakers with a $500 - $1,000 pair budget?
« Reply #10 on: 16 Sep 2007, 11:50 pm »
A GOOD speaker designer will compensate for the wide baffle of the wall in the xover.  Cabinet volume can be easily controlled based on proper instructions (or available inwall baffle) for constructing the proper sized box. 

Bryan

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Should I go in-wall speakers with a $500 - $1,000 pair budget?
« Reply #11 on: 17 Sep 2007, 09:18 am »
As a single driver speaker guy, the TBI Diamonds might be right up your alley:

http://musicalsubwoofers.com/dsp_products_monitors_d1.asp

Available in 3 blacks and pearl, includes a threaded insert for wall brackets.  Supposedly they work in/on bookshelves.

Another option that might win wifey points:

http://www.roundsound.com/home-theater-loudspeakers.htm

These are the Gallo Nucleus Micro and A'Diva single driver/spherical cabinet speakers.