I'm New To Audio...How Much Does A Good System Cost ?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Looking over the questions that a new person to audio might ask...I think this would be one of the first.

IMO....set a budget, and try to stick with it if your just starting out.

So...in your experience, when you first bought your "new system"....how much did you budget ?

Thanks..... :thumb:

Tweaker

Re: I'm New To Audio...How Much Does A Good System Cost ?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2007, 05:37 am »
$225.00!
That was back in 1973. For that grand sum of money I got a brand new pair of AR 7's, an H.H.Scott 25WPC receiver purchased directly from H.H.Scott on one of their scratch and dent sales they had on Fridays, and God help me if I can remember the turntable/cartridge combo but it was a cheap one! I don't know what that would translate to in todays dollars but that was a remarkable sounding little system for the money.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 8 Sep 2007, 05:43 am »
Thanks tweaker.... :thumb:

I don't know what that would translate to in todays dollars but that was a remarkable sounding little system for the money.

I sometimes use this......so....$225.00 = $1041.00 in todays dollars....according to their calculation....

Tweaker

« Reply #3 on: 8 Sep 2007, 06:17 am »
I have to add that that was back in the days when you hooked everything up with lamp cord and whatever cheap patch cords that you could find. Even so I think $1000.00 and change is enough to put together a really decent system. Especially if you go the high efficiency route using, for example, a Tripath amp.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 8 Sep 2007, 06:31 am »
How much does a good system cost? I usually counter that question with another one, "How much do you want to spend?" I usually start high, find out where their choke point is right away. $5000 is always a good number to start with (this could be fun), though this question is usually answered with a shockingly low number, say around $600 (this is not fun anymore). Somewhere in between is what a good system costs. I really shouldn't help friends put together a system.  :duh:

This should be interesting once it gets going.

zipidachimp

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2007, 09:00 am »
being both impecunious and cheap, here's my choice:

onkyo or yamaha or denon 2 channel receiver, 50wpc  $200.00
universal player $100.00, paradigm atom speakers $250.00
total$550.00, taxes not included.

i'd build my own speakers though, saving $50.00
your experience may differ!  have fun shopping! :P

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2007, 10:02 am »
IMO to make it reach at least the level of what most would consider "audio", the system has to sound as good as MP3 with say $50 earbuds.  Otherwise what's the point?

Also you must consider where the novice is coming from (personal stereo, car stereo, or HT), what their reference point may be (more often than not, poorly recorded pop music), and why they want to get into "audio" to start with (regretfully more often than not, my guess is it would be to have a techy looking new toy). 

I'd say you could squeak in around $500 with a system such as Trends 10.1, Oppo 970, AV123 x-ls, and "over the counter" cables.  But you'd be getting only a taste (primarily missing all the deep bass and a lot of the dynamics).  To someone not into "audio" I doubt this would convince them of what they'd been missing.  And you certainly wouldn't want to start most of them out with tubes, vinyl, or DIY.

More to the point of "meeting them where they live" I'd suggest something more like Cambridge Audio 540A ($450)integrated and 540C CD player ($450) with Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 speakers ($700).  Throw in entry level (Blue Jean, Element, or Signal) cabling and a cheap set of speaker stands (Atlantis Junior for $30) and you'd have a well rounded, good quality, satisfying sound that looks cool, with remote for around $1900.  If computer savy a good option would be substituting a Squeeze Box for the 540C.

OTOH and still on the "meeting them where they live" perspective, integration of audio with HT should be considered.  They certainly already have a TV and probably some sort of one box HT system.  And they very well may not have a good 2nd room to set up a dedicated audio system.  So replacing the HT system with something better that includes really nice front left/right speakers might make the most sense.  Using the same brands as an example, you could buy Cambridge Audio 540R ($700) and 540 DVD ($450) with Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 FL/FR ($700), CMT-230C ($300), CBM-170 RL/RR ($400 with wall brackets), and the above cabling/stands for around $2900 (using zip cord for the center/rear channels).  Of course you could slum by starting with the Sierra-1 speakers or just leaving the upgraded center/rear channel speakers off for a while.

The "lifestyle challenge" (convenience of small size and remote control that easily works in the main living space and is kid/pet friendly) is the real world issues I see.  Can't do speakers that tip over, are huge, or have to be out into the room to sound good.  Can't imagine stuff that doesn't have a remote.  A friend just replaced a 36 inch CRT and one box HT system with a 46 inch flat panel HD and Sony 2.1 system to take less space, improved sound/picture, and eliminate extra speakers/wires.  That's what we're up against.
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2007, 11:52 am by JLM »

TheChairGuy

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2007, 01:00 pm »

I sometimes use this......so....$225.00 = $1041.00 in todays dollars....according to their calculation....

You know I bookmarked that one, WolfyChris - thanks  :thumb:

I think you're well on your way to 12,000 posts in the next year as Starting Block facilitator  :wink:

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2007, 01:16 pm »
Great question Chris,

Boy, there are so many different routes you can go. I'll start with the least expensive first.

As somebody already mentioned, the little Sonic-T amps are a great entry into high-end. They do a lot of stuff really well but they do have their limitations. Believe it or not, we used one of these to drive Blackmore's Large Advents and they sounded extremely good. Not the last word in definition but boy did it make some great music. As a source, I would use your computer with Foobar or your iPod. With this system you'll have some tunes you can live with for a long long time. Price (all in) ~ $300

Unlike JLM, I prefer to snag our hooks into budding audiophiles right away steering them towards tubes :D For this system I'd go the rebuilt HH Scott route. Mate to that either the Large Advents or the Dynaco A25's. Here you could use your computer and Foobar or an iPod. Price (all in) ~ $500

Stepping up the resolution and price ladder, the little factory modified JoLida 102B integrated amp is a screaming deal at $750. For speakers you have a myriad of choices. On the low end you could do the Best Buy Insignia's for $79. The old Odyssey  Epiphany's are stunning with this amp. The Advents or Dynaco's would be a great choice too. Really there are too many speakers to list. Source, computer and Foobar. Price (all in) ~ $900 and $1500 depending on your speaker choice

Then there is the Odyssey Audio $1500 system (now closer to likely $1700 with the new Epiphany's). A marvelous little system on all levels. Again, I would use your computer and Foobar as a source. Price (all in) ~ $1700

In all cases, I wouldn't waste any serious money on cabling and interconnects. On speaker cables I'd go the Home Depot route buying 12gau underground rated low voltage lighting wire. Either use $.05 crimp on fork terminals or just use bare ended wire. In the interconnects, I wouldn't spend more than $20. Go for the AR (Acoustic Research) brand. They sound just fine for these levels of systems.

Granted, there are soooo many choices and combinations for under ~ $1500 but any of these I've listed are solid, make music and would gives many, many years of enjoyment.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #9 on: 8 Sep 2007, 01:59 pm »
Scott,

Just trying to relate to the straights without freaking them out.   :)

"You paid $300 for that dim light bulb?" 

"Those big ugly boxes ain't coming in MY living room."

"Whata mean I can't walk across the room while the record is playing?"

And of course:

"Tell me you didn't spend that much and it doesn't even have a remote."

Scott F.

« Reply #10 on: 8 Sep 2007, 02:20 pm »
"You paid $300 for that dim light bulb?" 
"Those big ugly boxes ain't coming in MY living room."
"Whata mean I can't walk across the room while the record is playing?"
And of course:
"Tell me you didn't spend that much and it doesn't even have a remote."

:rotflmao:
....and of course, you are exactly right  :lol:

Zero

« Reply #11 on: 8 Sep 2007, 02:24 pm »
The majority of people I've come across who developed an interest in attaining better sound typically want something new. That said, there will always be other shoppers that are not opposed to buying used  - especially if they are confident with their audio guide (you).

These days, I'd tell anyone that the cost of a good sounding stereo system is really no more than the new iphone.  While there is a whole lot of toys with a higher price tag, this is the starting point where good sound begins. (For references, I'd most likely end up putting someone in a pair of Onix XLS monitors / good stands / a decent stereo receiver from Harman Kardon). 

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
« Reply #12 on: 8 Sep 2007, 02:29 pm »
"It cost how much and only plays ONE cd at a time?"

"I don't get it.  All those components and it's so expensive.  My ghetto blaster says it has 200 watts! that's 180 more than YOUR system! ahahah"

"It sure looks fancy, i wonder if it sounds as good as my BOSE setup?"

"Why are those things glowing?"

"Where are the surround channels?"

:lol:

EthanH

« Reply #13 on: 8 Sep 2007, 02:41 pm »
As someone relatively new to audio, I'd agree with JLM in finding what the person's expectations are and going from there.  When I started out I bought a used pair B&W 602s because everyone seemed to say "you don't need a sub with them!"  I was obviously disappointed and should have done the research needed to figure out that for me, true full range meant extension down to 30hz, and this sort of bass extension comes at a relatively high price when "smooth" and "fatigue free" are additional requisites. In my situation I eventually had to compromise with a system that does a few things well enough in my space and for my budget to make me happy.

I think it's hard to pick a magic number or system that could meet anyone's needs.  For my original budget of $1200 I could have gone with stacked Advents and a hybrid, which would have been better suited for my tastes than the ubiquitous monitor/integrated combo I ended up with.  Then again, for someone with  different listening habits the monitors might have been perfect, and for someone that has to factor in WAF the stacked advents would be taboo.

The magic number, IMO, is linked to the questions "What is it that you want to get out of this system" and "Where are you most willing to compromise?"

Don_S

« Reply #14 on: 8 Sep 2007, 03:21 pm »
You guys are way off base.  The answer to "how much does a good system cost?" is obviously "how much ya got?"   :lol:

bummrush

« Reply #15 on: 8 Sep 2007, 03:50 pm »
If you go used,and say could spend 1 to 2000,you can get a hell of a system used on Agon.And if you spend closed to 1500 and 2000,you should end up with something that in alot of ways,if put together with decent components,will get you 95% of all the music without paying the outrageous prices of new.Dont skimp on the amp or pre amp,and forget it when someone  says the source is the most important,yes its important but not like amp or pre amp .
« Last Edit: 8 Sep 2007, 04:08 pm by bummrush »

acresm22

« Reply #16 on: 8 Sep 2007, 04:46 pm »
I think the key to "catching" someone with a budding interest in audio is to get them started at a low price, and in my 30 years of following this hobby, there has never been more options for great sound at a low price.
The Trends or Super-T amps are really no-brainers...they look cool, are small and "lifestyle" friendly, and sound fantastic. And come in for $150 or less.
Efficient speaker choices for the lil Tripath amps are numerous...a nice used pair of Klipsch Heresies for $300-$400, a pair of Jensen Duettes for the same or less, or one of several single driver options out there using Fostex drivers.
Source? I agree with one of the earlier posters...start with a decent universal player for small change. Or, if they want something more esoteric, an external NEC cd-rom with a low-cost NOS DAC.

Should be doable for $600 or less. Oh, one more thing....DON'T spend much on cables. High-end cables have a way of, uh, generating frustration and cycnicism...two things you wouldn't want a budding audiophile to experience.

IMHO ; )

Dan

Bigfish

« Reply #17 on: 8 Sep 2007, 05:23 pm »

I started my quest for "a good system" back in February and I began with no knowledge of 2 channel systems.  Looking back at my journey the real difficulty with getting into this "hobby or pursuit of better sound" is that the learning curve is extremely steep.  There is no perfect answer to the question "How much does a good system cost?"  If the individual is interested in 2 channel I would advise them to join AC and AN and to look for a local audiophile group.  I know I have received a tremendous wealth of knowledge and help in getting my system to where it is now, although I still have further improvements needed before the tweeking stage begins.  Also, I started with the purchase of Odyssey Mono SEs, followed by the Candela, the Timepieces and the Squeezebox.  I now know without a doubt I would start with the speakers and then match the amps/preamp to properly match with the speakers.  

Most people will start by buying equipment at the big box stores.  Excuse the expression but most of the salespeople in these stores don't know crap about 2 channel.  Here in Raleigh we have a real quality, high-end dealership but when I started I felt intimidated when I visited the store.  Equipment is very expensive, very audiophile atmosphere and the prices are frightening for a person who has no conception of what quality audiophile gear costs.  Early threads to this post indicates a newbie should purchase used equipment.  Newbie's don't purchase used equipment because they don't understand the upgrade phobia of this hobby and they have no conception of what is "good used equipment."  

I can look back at my situation and I can honestly say the most prudent advice I received (and I don't know how well I listened) was from Chris (Lonewolfny).  Many times he would send me a PM or post a response to one of my posts, "Ken, slow down, take your time and enjoy the music."

Ken

smccull

« Reply #18 on: 8 Sep 2007, 05:28 pm »
If someone came to me and asked for some advice on an entry level system, I'd probably suggest something like this.....

They should use a computer/laptop as source. The flexibility combined with low jitter playback makes this a no brainer in my mind. Burn everything to Apple Lossless and use iTunes to select tunes. Most folks are familiar with this interface and that makes it an easy transition.  Besides, lossless provides shockingly good fidelity. For fun and demonstration purposes, you could have your newby rip the same cd to mp3 and lossless just to prove what they're missing with lossy compression. You don't need much pc horsepower for this front end and if you don't already have an extra PC around you can pick something up used for less than $300.

Have that run into the USB input of a Kingrex T20U w/ PSU ($429). Class T is the future and this amp, along with the Trends, is simply an amazing bargain. Mucho bang for the buck! Run this into some single driver speakers such as Omega's Super 3 XRS with hemp drivers ($949). You won't get the frequency extremes but most people can't hear past 15k, nor would they miss it. The bottom end can be suplemented with an Acoustic Visions MRS-10 sub ($450) connected with a subline T-amp connector from Audio Magus. This is a fast, tight sub that will keep up with the Omegas. It may not rock the house, but it will provide a very musical foundation.

In this set up there's no need for IC's, so all you need to add is some Anti-Cables for the speakers and sub. Depending on your distance between speakers this should be no more than $200 total. These cables are a killer bargain and have replaced much more expensive cables in my system.

All in all you would have one heck of a giant beater for less than $2500. If you're crafty and patient you may be able to find many of these items used, and if you already have a pc you can use, you may be able to put it all together for less than $1500. Holy cow, what a value that would be!

With the quality of T amps and pc based audio it seems to me that the lion's share of your budget should be put into the speakers. With the Omegas, you'll never have a challenge finding amps to match. You can move up to tubes when you're good and ready and won't need to break the bank buying high wattage.

That's my take anyway....

95bcwh