what not to do on red wine olive

alinto

what not to do on red wine olive
« on: 20 Apr 2007, 11:58 pm »
I have been using a red wine olive symphony for about 6 months now.  I use it as a transport for my emm lab dcc2 dac. I have loaded my music to an external hard drive in wave files using EAC. I usually turn on the olive 1st. Then, as it is booting up, I turn on the hard drive. By the time the olive boots up, the hard drive is already on the menu - saving me some time.  Today when I proceeded to turn on my stereo system the usual way, the olive remained on the loading screen although I could hear the external hard drive working. It remained this way for much longer than usual. I finally turned off the olive and external hard drive. When I turned them both back on, it appeared normal except that I have lost 2/3 of my files. I check the hard drive on my computer and the files are missing with also corrupted files that I can see.  The hard drive appears to be fine at least according to windows.  I will have to reformat the drive and load by all my music. The moral of the story. Let the olive boot up fully before turning on the hard drive. And oh yeh do back ups.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
What not to do on an Olive Music Server
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2007, 07:07 pm »
Hi Alinto,

Welcome to Audiocircle. 

I moved this topic from the RWA forum to the square circle because what you describe is not related to the RWA Olive Music Server modification... the same thing can happen with a stock Olive.  The topic could be changed to "What not to do on an Olive Music Server."  :wink:   

ALso, I want everyone to be able to see your post... even those who have stock Olive Music Servers (and those who don't visit the RWA forum), and I don't want anyone to think that what you experienced is only for RWA modded Olive units.

It sounds like the Olive was in the process of communicating with your external hard drive, and something got hung-up.  Perhaps if you turned off the external hard drive first, you wouldn't of lost your files?  I'm not sure, but thanks for letting everyone know your experience.  I use an external drive as well, so I'll be extra careful about this!

Thanks again,

Vinnie

JEaton

Ok, what?
« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2007, 04:06 am »
Good Lord, you've got to be kidding me.  :banghead:

Someone explain to me what exactly you shouldn't do?  I don't see anything that he did wrong.  Speculating "perhaps you should have..." is meaningless unless you have some idea of what happened.

Why in the world is the Olive doing anything to an external storage drive other than _reading_ from it? There's no reason in the world this thing should be designed so that there's even the remotest chance of modifying a single bit, let alone wiping out 2/3 of the hard drive.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: what not to do on red wine olive
« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2007, 09:32 am »
JEaton,

This is a prime example of the current state of PCs.  No one really understands them or how they work.  The first thing to come out of the mouths of computer folks nowadays is a variety of "sounds like", "something got hung-up", "I'm not sure", and of course when in doubt "try rebooting".  We operate computers by trial and error like rats in a maze.  We can't "fix" a computer, just replace major parts and follow some recipes.  Can you imagine being an astronaut on the way to Mars getting these kinds of responses?

This approach scares the crap out of me as we depend more and more on computers, yet understand them less and less.  It an annoyance in audio, but serious when it applies to my paycheck, credit report, or private records.  It seems to be largely a generational thing as those under 30 have been brought up with this way of thinking.  Young adult first worlders seem to be able to slip in and out of reality, but their younger counterparts have a harder time relating to reality.

Years ago my Dad feared that there might be a weak link to all our technology, that if broken could cascade into bringing a very large chunk of it all down.  And that was in the 60's.  He must be a genius.

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2007, 03:25 pm »
Someone explain to me what exactly you shouldn't do?  I don't see anything that he did wrong.  Speculating "perhaps you should have..." is meaningless unless you have some idea of what happened.

Hi JEaton,

When I typed:

Perhaps if you turned off the external hard drive first, you wouldn't of lost your files?  I'm not sure

I was of course speculating and this is why I typed "I'm not sure.."  :green:

As far as what *MIGHT* have happened (where my speculation came from),
I have read that if you disconnect a USB drive when it is in the middle of talking to a computer, loss of data can result.  This is why it is recommended that you click on "Safely remove hardware" in Windows before disconnecting an external drive. 

So by shutting off the Olive first (while it might have been talking to the external drive), it could have caused file corruption on the external drive. 

I'm not sure, but perhaps if this issue was taken to Olive, they would be able to provide some insight  :scratch:

Thanks,

Vinnie

JEaton

« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2007, 04:13 pm »
This is a prime example of the current state of PCs.

No, it sounds like the current state of the junk being produced by Olive.