Voting closed: 1 Mar 2006, 09:54 pm

Musica Bella SP/AV Loudspeaker Kits?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 19 Feb 2006, 09:54 pm »
I am curious if the Circle feels there may be any interest in making the Musica Bella Loudspeakers available in kit form.

1) Assembled but unfinished cabinets
2) Assembled crossovers
3) Everything needed for a running loudspeaker provided
4) Front baffle finished in Black Texture

Even if not real popular with Circle members, I would like an overall opinion on the idea.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #1 on: 19 Feb 2006, 10:51 pm »
okay folks, that isn't helping much. I only need a few quick mouse clicks. If you want to give some ideas of why you made a particular decission, feel free.

I am also considering releasing a batch in vinyl finish (not kits). This will allow more people to experience these speakers at a much more affordable price point.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #2 on: 19 Feb 2006, 11:03 pm »
Hi Bill,

Not quite sure on the distinction between Yes and Make kits and finished speakers available.  Kits do seem like a good idea but I think it will all come down to the price.  Finishing is time consuming and time is money on your part, but also on the side of the consumer, so it's a tough call.  Keep in mind that most vocal diyers design their own speakers, the rest are cheap guys who want to save money, so this kit may have a pretty small market except for the people who come into your showroom and can't afford the finished deal.  I think the option would be appreciated but if you will need to stock inventory because of it and have it sit around for a year or two, it might not be worth it for you.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 19 Feb 2006, 11:36 pm »
Thaks for the comments

Keep in mind that most vocal diyers design their own speakers, the rest are cheap guys who want to save money, so this kit may have a pretty small market except for the people who come into your showroom and can't afford the finished deal.

That is true for most DIY'ers here at Audio Circle but ther is a whole other group out there that like the idea of assembling their own speakers. I have received a few inquiries but have been undecided on which route to take.

Not quite sure on the distinction between Yes and Make kits and finished speakers available.

Simply continue to offer completed speakers as well as adding them to the line-up as a kit also.

I think the option would be appreciated but if you will need to stock inventory because of it and have it sit around for a year or two, it might not be worth it for you.

Since I will continued to provide the finished product this will not be a problem. The only difference would be in having to assemble and finish speakers when as orders came in.
 I don't think anything would sit around very long. The first batch sat around for 4 days before being sold out. We were expecting to be able to sell them within a 2 1/2 month period :wink:

I have not made any decissions yet and will think about it for a while. Hopefully, some good pros and cons will be mentioned in this thread for me to evaluate.

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 20 Feb 2006, 12:36 am »
Everyone is going to have their opinion as to what level of kit fits them so offer everything in every stage of completion :D

For me, I would like to build the xo's, but not the cabinets.  But...cabinets are the most expensive to ship.  What is the baffle made out of?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 20 Feb 2006, 01:00 am »
Hi Max,
 the baffles are 1.5" MDF with the Waveguide cut on a CNC machine. The speakers weigh in at about 50 lbs each shipping weight.

I figured there would be a host of configurations people would want. This is one of the cons I was expecting.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #6 on: 20 Feb 2006, 01:43 am »
Will there be an issue with Bob's kits direct from sptech?  How about pricing conflicts?

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #7 on: 20 Feb 2006, 02:06 am »
Will there be an issue with Bob's kits direct from sptech? How about pricing conflicts?

Details would be confirmed with Bob should I decide to go this route. we have a very good business relationship and I doubt there would be any issues.

Pricing conflicts would not be an issue as the Bella kits would obviously be slightly more. Who knows, maybe e would work out a situation where the cabinets would be purchased direct from Bob with the rest of the "kit" coming from myself.

Again, deatils would be worked out to the best of everybody's interest, including the end user.

Zero

« Reply #8 on: 20 Feb 2006, 04:46 am »
Bill,

How about offering a selection of kits, if possible - appeal towards every market.

The first kit could be nothing more but bare-bone parts. You supply the cross-over pieces, drivers, and instructions on how to build the baffle and cab. This would be a great project for those honing in on their DIY / wood-working skills.

The next kit would include the front baffle, for a bit more.

The next could be all the parts, but not assembled.

The final could be what you suggested - just in a very common looking cab with no exotic veneer.

Then finally - the full bore product itself.

The issues I see arrising would be the amount of time it would take on your end to now only list different options on your website, but also the time it would take for you to box these pieces together - nevermind the troubleshooting aspect no matter the level of complication. Sorry, I will have to come back to this thread when my mind is in functioning order..  I saw the thread and thought I would put in a few words for what little they are currently worth.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 20 Feb 2006, 04:55 am »
The first kit could be nothing more but bare-bone parts. You supply the cross-over pieces, drivers, and instructions on how to build the baffle and cab. This would be a great project for those honing in on their DIY / wood-working skills.

Not possible. The front Waveguide baffle can only be accomplished with a CNC machine. If someone has one of these $150k machines in their basement, they will probably be looking further than a Bella kit.

I would not be interested in offering so many variations. If someone wanted to go this route, they can go through Bob at SP Tech. I don't want to make it too complicated.

Rather than a kit design, I am also considering offering the Bella speakers only without a finish except for the front baffle. It is the veneering that takes up so much time and adds more labor cost into the product.

ooheadsoo

« Reply #10 on: 20 Feb 2006, 05:12 am »
Bill, what do you have to lose?  If, as you say, you'll have the parts on hand in any case...

JoshK

« Reply #11 on: 20 Feb 2006, 05:16 am »
I always like it when small manuf sell kits.  I think it is good for all of us when you do.  I think flat pack kits make the most sense.  Pre-cut but non-assembled and non-finished makes it so just about anyone can put in the labor themselves without having to own too many tools.  

Most diy'ers can follow directions on soldering xo's together if it is spelled out enough.  Just my $.02.

Cheers,

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #12 on: 3 Mar 2006, 06:34 pm »
Hello Everyone,
  At this time, we have decided that the Bella line will not be released or available in kit form.