Tubes from Upscale Audio

DTB300

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« on: 12 Nov 2005, 02:36 pm »
Anyone here at the MAAC ever deal with Upscale Audio for Tubes?  Would be interested in your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks...Dan

Marbles

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2005, 02:39 pm »
They are expensive, but I had two positive experiences with Kevin.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2005, 02:47 pm »
Just curious, what type of tubes are you looking for?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2005, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: DTB300
Anyone here at the MAAC ever deal with Upscale Audio for Tubes?  Would be interested in your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks...Dan

Kevin knows his tubes better than most.  Iif you can describe what you are after, he can recommned a few different choices at various price points.

Be preapared to open the wallet because his expertise and quality can get pricey.

George

DTB300

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2005, 03:10 pm »
Quote from: Merle

12AX7's for an ARC Pre Amp.  6 would be needed.

Upscale carries the new GT (marketed as a Mullard Clone - if there is such a thing) at "wife friendly" prices :)

Dan

Charles Calkins

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2005, 03:20 pm »
Take a look at thetubestore.com.

bunky

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2005, 03:20 pm »
Hey Dave,i bought a used Anthem Pre1L from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio last year and he sent a matched Quad of 1970s vintage EH 6922 Russian tubes with it that sounded very good. he is really a tube guru and his opinions should not be taken with a grain of salt. he is not the cheapest guy around but he doesnt sell junk either. thanks....WCW III

flintstone

Upscale Audio tubes
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2005, 04:08 pm »
It would seem that you must first buy a tube component from him, or...all he has to sell to non-club members are rejects or seconds?. If you think about it, they (his tube club guys) get the best....that can only mean, he will over charge you on whats left, ie....stuff they don't want?

I did talk to him once on the phone...he can be very rude sometimes because he's always in a hurry to get you off the phone. I've had no trouble finding tubes in many other places.

Dave

mattybumpkin

Flintstone
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2005, 04:24 pm »
Flintstone,

You are totally incorrect in your assumption.

Kevin does provide a discount for certain tubes if you bought gear from him.  He used to have a "secret stash" that he only sold to us gear buyers but that has been replaced with the discount policy.

ALL his tubes are first rate, just like he is.  I think your assumptions are not appropriate just because you don't want to pay a little more for quality.  He rushes people like you who want to only discuss his tubes and don't actually want to purchase any.

"M"

jswallac

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2005, 04:43 pm »
I have to agree with mattybumpkin.  Kevin is first rate.  I have not bought any tube gear from him, but have bought several sets of speakers.  Without knowing whether I was just shopping around or serious, he invited me into his home, set up the speakers for me, and did a fair amount of hand holding.  No pressure at all.  That is why I came became a repeat customer.

A story worth telling.  Kevin invites the entire LAOC Audio Society to his home each year for a nice lunch and day of music.  This year we had a raffle for Katrina victims.  Kevin kicked in $1,000 just to raise the amount collected.  His winnings for this generous donation, hopefully some future sales because he was outbid but still contributed the money.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2005, 04:57 pm »

12AX7's for an ARC Pre Amp.  6 would be needed.

Upscale carries the new GT (marketed as a Mullard Clone - if there is such a thing) at "wife friendly" prices :)

Dan

I have a pair of Telefunken 12AX7's and a pair of RCA's. Both NOS with very little use, basically new. I'm getting out of tube amps once and for all. If you can use them, you can pick them up or have them for the cost of shipping. Let me know if your interested.

DTB300

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2005, 05:18 pm »
I have a pair of Telefunken 12AX7's and a pair of RCA's. Both NOS with very little use, basically new. I'm getting out of tube amps once and for all. If you can use them, you can pick them up or have them for the cost of shipping. Let me know if your interested.

Merle...thanks for the very kind offer...But not sure how mixing the Telefunken and the RCA and the ARC 12AX7's would be.  Isn't it better to match up the 6 tubes to be the same?

BTW, I have head back from Kevin at Upscale in regards to the 12AX7's that I was looking at there.  It was a very timly reply and addressed my concerns over the type I would need for my Pre.

Dan

flintstone

tubes
« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2005, 05:46 pm »
Matty

"Kevin does provide a discount for certain tubes if you bought gear from him. He used to have a "secret stash" that he only sold to us gear buyers but that has been replaced with the discount policy. "

Ok, that sounds better. The other concept did not strike me as a good one...to each his own though.

"He rushes people like you who want to only discuss his tubes and don't actually want to purchase any. "

People like me?....ahhhh, you mean people that own tubed components that don't use tubes.

"only discuss his tubes"....Huh?...he is selling them isn't he?

To be honest...we didn't talk much about tubes in our 30 second phone conversation...I hung up on his rude ass!

Do a search at the audioasylum forum, you'll find others that have had the same experience.

Of course if you like the guy...fine, not a problem with me. The thread asked for any experience or opinions regarding Upscale Audio...I gave mine!

Dave

Scott F.

Re: Upscale Audio tubes
« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:00 pm »
Quote from: flintstone
It would seem that you must first buy a tube component from him, or...all he has to sell to non-club members are rejects or seconds?. If you think about it, they (his tube club guys) get the best....that can only mean, he will over charge you on whats left, ie....stuff they don't want?

I did talk to him once on the phone...he can be very rude sometimes because he's always in a hurry to get you off the phone. I've had no trouble finding tubes in many other places.

Dave

Sorry to push back on this one but you couldn't be more wrong.

Kevins Buyers Club is discounted pricing for people who have bought gear (not accys) from Kevin before. Lets sya you bought a Cary 2a3 amp with 6sn7 drivers. Kevin now gives you discount pricing on those tubes. He doesn't give you discount pricing on any other tube that he carries , only the 2a3 and 6sn7.

Kevin will be happy to sell you his Premium grade tubes. All you have to do is open your wallet. He doesn't 'keep' the best tubes for his friends. If he did that, he wouldn't be in business very long.

As for Kevin being rude and hurrying you off the phone, take this into consideration. Kevin is one of the most visible audio dealers in the country, if not the world. He advertizes in (most) all of the major mags. His name pops up on all the boards quite frequently. He gets innundated with phone calls from around the world (literally). If he was short with you, it was (probably) because he had calls racked and stacked behind your particular call.

Believe me, I've dealt with Kevin for years now. Depending on when you call, what he has going, who is standing at the counter, which of his little elves needs immediate attention because there is another paying customer on the phone, he can be very short.....even with long time customers.

Do I take offense to it? Nope. I open my mind to see past my immediate needs and am patient. Most often I leave a message for Kevin to call me. It may take a while for him to get back to me but he always does. Oh, and when he does call, he's usually (quasi) relaxed, talkative very cordule and yes, hurried.

...sorry.... but if you are going to blast somebody, you need to get your facts before making malicious statements about things you know nothing about.

mattybumpkin

Flintstone
« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:19 pm »
The point I am making is that he is VERY busy.  The fact that he knows tubes well, many people will call him to discuss tubes; "what is the best for my gear", "what about this tube", "how do these sound", etc.  Then, after a 30 minute phone call and getting the knowledge they want, they will tell Kevin "I need to think about it" or I'll get back to you".  Of course they don't, they then take the knowledge learned and go elswhere to buy their tubes at a slightly less price.  That is why he will rush people sometimes, he is busy and time is money.

I do not know Kevin other than purchasing from him and have no vested interest in his business.  But to make such statements about his business and products based on your "phone call" (which was probably to discuss tubes and not buy any from him) is irresponsible.

Nuff said.

flintstone

Tubes
« Reply #15 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:04 pm »
Sorry Matty, not nuff said...at least not by me

"But to make such statements about his business and products based on your "phone call" (which was probably to discuss tubes and not buy any from him) is irresponsible. "

You know nothing about me or what I buy....irresponsible of you to assume anything about me isn't it?

I could care less about the guys problems...maybe he needs to find a new job with less stress?. How about hiring some help?...I sure didn't ask to talk to him when I called, tubes aren't rocket science.

That said, it would seem that he's well liked by everyone here and his rudeness is excepted by some....not a problem and I'm sure he can live very well without my money....cause he ain't gonna get any!

Dave

Dave

Chris_B

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #16 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:17 pm »
Guys,

Let's keep the conversation on topic - your experiences with Upscale Audio and/or other tube options for DTB300.  I don't want this thread to turn into a debate.

If you want to debate their customer service or sales practices, start another thread in another circle.

Magic Robert

Upscale Audio experience
« Reply #17 on: 12 Nov 2005, 08:20 pm »
First, Kevin's stuff is as good as it gets.  No one does more analysis amd measurement than Upscale does.  You pay for this.  But you pay for it if you go to anyone who directly competes with him, like Tube World.

Upscale understands that lots of tube nuts are truly nuts.  I bought a 1940's rectifier tube from him last time we did business.  It was advertised as NOS.  When it arrived, it was in a white box with the old box (which really wasn't in great shape) neatly packed with it.  Some people would like, no, would NEED, the old box.  So, it got sent.

This is the attention to detail the guy delivers.

When I am dropping $$$ for a "reference" tube, I have typically bought Kevin's gear - and have never been disappointed.

As far as his rudeness, he is even rude in his comments on his site here and there.

If Kevin's behavior bothers someone, I would refer them to Tubeworld.  I would bet that Kevin would to.

Doublej

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #18 on: 13 Nov 2005, 12:48 am »
I must have missed something in this thread. An opinion was asked about Upscale Audio, a few were given but they were wrong?

Is this forum becoming like the Audio Asylum?

I too have had dealings with Kevin Deal. In person it was extremely good.

On the phone worthless.

I brought a friend to Upscale Audio to listen to listen to the Meadowlark Kestrel's when they first came out. My friend wound up buying a full system from Upscale Audio.

Subsequently I called Kevin to see if he could help me put together a similar sounding system. He took my number, realized it wasn't local and never called me back. So I spent my money elsewhere.

I have been happier if he would have told me that he didn't want to do business with me because I wasn't local. His loss the person I work with now won't even let me buy stuff until I have him convinced I really want it. But he's semi retired so I need to find a new dealer.

BTW if you want a guy that will talk your ear off, call Vince at Audio Pro in Watertown, MA.

But be forewarned it will be a very different conversation than one at your local high end shop. His view on things is available at his website. He's probably more right than wrong but he's over the top. BTW I have never purchased anything from him either.

Ironically that's where I brought my friend to buy his first pair of speakers, a set of AR3as.

http://www.audioproz.com/AP.php?News

Happy listening.

Chris_B

Tubes from Upscale Audio
« Reply #19 on: 13 Nov 2005, 01:55 am »
Opinions are perfectly fine.  When the discussion turns to debating the merits of a person's opinion is where we get close to the forbidden "personal attacks"  :nono: .  I don't really care if people love or hate Kevin and his business practices.  Everyone's opinions are equally valid and the person asking for the opinions will certainly weigh them accordingly and reach his or her own opinion.  

The thread came close to taking a bad turn but I think it is going back in the right direction again.   :D