Daedalus DA-1 with solid state (almost)

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« on: 24 May 2005, 01:46 am »
While I already have a few Hybrid amps around to pair with the Daedalus DA-1 speakers (the Jolida JD1501 does a nice job), I am bringing in more from the Kavent line, The A-210 shown below is capable of running 100 watts into 8 ohms, 200 watts into 4 ohms and 10 watts pure Class "A". I will have one of these amps in by this Thursday and very eager to hear how it sounds with the various speakers on display, especially the Daedalus with the 210 running in purs class "A".
 I'll post my findings next week.

NealH

« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2005, 02:21 am »
I have not heard of the "Kavent" line but, this amp looks pretty nice.  Does Kavent have a website?  Is it a Chinese built amplifier?

rosconey

« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2005, 08:53 am »
kavent -is shengya and vincent also-
i have a cdp from shengya and it is well built :mrgreen:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2005, 11:25 am »
Greetings,
  The Kavent line along with the new Aurum Cantus speaker line is made for Kellsie Audio Video Designs (KAVD) located here in New York. They have some very nice gear. I have their CD-931 solid state CD player now. Yes, they are manufactured in China. Here is the website.

http://www.kellsieavdesign.com/

Vincent is also made in China but they now have their own facility

rosconey

« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2005, 09:16 pm »
i emailed the kavent guy last year-thats the info he gave me.
also said they used  higher quality parts in the kavent line than the shengya ones-

if shengya still builds them for kavent -its a no brainer-they are one of the top chinese audio mfgs,and when i did my reasearch i didnt find any quality control issues like some other overseas mfg's have had in the past with either the kavent or shengya line-i didnt have the george for your ram modded cdp-so i settled for the shengya-

have you heard the kavent tube cdp yet bill-i can only imagine how nice it must sound if it has better parts-

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2005, 11:10 pm »
HI rosconey,
  You are correct on all accounts. The Kavent line is now an exclusive for KAVD with some of the best quality control and integrity I have found in Chinese manufactured products. This is not to say there are not others out there that could become very reputable, it's just that I cannot evaluate them all and I normally deal with strickly "all tube" products.

In regard to ethe CD-831 tube CD player, I have only heard the Shengya version and even this impressed me. With the Kavent line obviously several grades higher, I have no doubt that it will be a welcome addition to the lineup. I will have more in stock in the forthcoming weeks. I wanted to evaluate the product line slowly and will continue to bring in more of the line over time as I got a feel for what my customers would be interested in. The next few products will be the CD-831 and then the 100 watt mono blocs. After that, I will work on having the entire line of the Kavent and most of the KAVD versions of the Aurum Cantus speakers available for audition.
 By the way, I am an authorized dealer for all these products and they can be seen on my website at this time.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2005, 01:08 am »
Well, the A-210 came in today and I can honestly say that it was even more than I expected in terms of quality, appearance and sonics. Obviously I do not have many hours on it but there is obvious signs of what this amp will provide with significant breakin.

It was actually much bigger than I had expected and weighs in at 45 lbs. Hooked up to the Daedalus and being driven by the Kavent CD-931 solid state CD player shows great promise.

mikef

Keep us posted on the Kavent amp as it breaks in
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2005, 02:06 pm »
For the money looks like a winner.

Thanks

Mike

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
Back to tubes
« Reply #8 on: 6 Jul 2005, 11:55 pm »
After spending some time with the Kavent Hybrid amp driving the Daedalus, I still ended up going back to my roots and put some tubes back in front of these speakers.
 While the Kavent did a nice job, it just doesn't have the emotional impact of a tube amp. I am back to the orignal system that I feel is the best combination of the amps I have on hand. Here is the system that I feel works best together:

* Speakers - Daedalus DA-1
* Preamp - ModWright SWL 9.0
* Amplifier - Modified Ming-Da MC805-AA
* Source - Custom Level II Jolida JD100 tube CD player
* Cables - Imperical Design interconnecta nd speaker cables.

Quite often I will throw in my custom Reference Jolida JD801 that has also been converted into a straight power amp with all controls removed from the circuit.

As soon as I get caught up on my current work load, I am going to build myself a pair of EXtreme Limited Plus ASL Monsoon 100 watt mono blocs for these speakers. The EXtreme Hurricanes are an amazing mate but I don't think I need the 200 watts.

I know many have found various SS amps to work very with the DA-1s and I agree it can be quite the experience but like everyone in this hobby, I have my preferences....... tubes!!!

guest1632

Re: Back to tubes
« Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2005, 05:35 pm »
Quote from: Response Audio
After spending some time with the Kavent Hybrid amp driving the Daedalus, I still ended up going back to my roots and put some tubes back in front of these speakers.
 While the Kavent did a nice job, it just doesn't have the emotional impact of a tube amp. I am back to the orignal system that I feel is the best combination of the amps I have on hand. Here is the system that I feel works best together:

* Speakers - Daedalus DA-1
* Preamp - ModWright SWL 9.0
* Amplifier - Modified Ming-Da MC805-AA
* So ...

Hi Bill, Well, a couple of questions: 1. Have you checked out the constance hope I got that right line of CDPlayers, and what are the prices for the modified JP1000, and the other two CDPlayers you mentioned from the Kaven line?
Ray

audiophile39

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2006, 07:03 am »
While the Kavent did a nice job, it just doesn't have the emotional impact of a tube amp

For the uninitiated, could you please explain how tubes create an emotional impact?  From what I read, the primary result of tubes is distortion, but maybe I'm missing something.  If I want to hear the original event in an accurate way without any added effects, why would I want tubes?   Thanks!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2006, 02:54 am »
For the uninitiated, could you please explain how tubes create an emotional impact? From what I read, the primary result of tubes is distortion, but maybe I'm missing something. If I want to hear the original event in an accurate way without any added effects, why would I want tubes? Thanks!

Sorry for the delay in responding. I do not receive any email notices from teh circle any more indicating a response to any threads I am part of. Must be my computer. This one slipped by me.

I don't know how to respond to this in a way that would not take up a lot of ourtime. To get a better idea of my thoughts on personal listening habits, take a look at my "Audiophile or Music Love" on this page:
http://www.responseaudio.com/AboutResponse.htm

While it does not address your question in regard to tubes, it will give you a good indication of my thoughts.
Before reading this page and responding, please keep in mind that these are strickly my personal preferences and listening habits and in no way do I mean any disrespect to others' personal preferences. Being an audio dealer, this would simply be rude of me. This writing will tell more.