What are you fixing for the holidays?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
What are you fixing for the holidays?
« on: 23 Dec 2023, 03:56 pm »
I've got a houseful over New Year's.  Pork ribs the first night, pork enchiladas the second, prime rib on New Year's Eve. 
Ribs are simple with salt/pepper rub over lots of mesquite smoke.  The enchiladas are a bit more complex.  Slow cooked pork butt with onion, garlic, oranges in juice, and a bit of cayenne.  Sauce is rehydrated red guajillo peppers, an ancho, cayenne, bit of chipolte, cocoa, cinnamon, onion, garlic, bit of sugar, and cayenne to taste.   Prime rib seared over mesquite fire, then slow smoked for hours thereafter.  Beer with ribs and enchiladas, well aged Ridge zinfandel and old grand reserva Rioja to go with the prime rib.   Tokaji and cookies for desert.     

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
Re: What are you fixing for the holidays?
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2023, 06:05 pm »
I thought I was being original for Christmas and make lasagna, but sure enough there was hardly a noodle or garlic clove to be found in the store. Scrounged the ingredients together for it all so we're going homemade Sunday gravy based (ground meats not chunky whole chops & ribs) that will be cooked down for hours and hours, and the creamy ingredient will be a mix of bechamel sauce to keep it mostly authentic and a pinch of ricotta for added cheesyness. Loads of garlic, fresh basil and onion have my house smelling delicious right now. I'll top it off with some homemade italian bread and I'm hoping it should be pretty tasty. Worst case scenario there's always Big Macs from down the street...

Also if anyone still needs to go to the store, may God have mercy on your soul. That place is a $#!+ show...  :o

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2023, 08:36 pm »
Mole Poblano de Guajolote (Turkey Mole)

I cooked the turkey yesterday, wrap roasting pan and turkey tightly in aluminum foil and roast at 450 degrees for 2-1/2 hours for a 13 lb bird, leave wrapped for 2 hours for a super moist turkey. I've used this method for 20 lb turkeys, it works perfectly every time.

The turkey carcass is now simmering for the needed broth I need later today, meanwhile I'm preparing the chilies. The only place to get authentic chilies is at Native Seeds Search here in Tucson (they ship). Many store bought chilies are mislabeled, Pasillas are one example, Mulatos are impossible to find anywhere else. I am using the Pasilla de Oaxaca whole chiles only found in the Oaxacan region.
https://www.nativeseeds.org/

A friend sent me the recipe, a little hard to read but it printed out OK. It's an all day process.

S Clark

« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2023, 09:28 pm »
I'm envious of you guys in AZ and NM.  You have access to chilies I've never even heard of.  :green:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2023, 01:05 am »
We'll be having ribeyes for dinner and creme brulee for desert.  Xmas day will be ribs! 8)

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2023, 04:27 am »
Beef bourguignon over sour cream mashed potatoes.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2023, 10:15 am »
Not one darn thing.  I'm eating other people's stuff all day on a tour of Allegheny Co. PA.

dpatters

« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2023, 11:35 am »
Prime dry aged rib roast, potato leek gratin, green beans w/almonds and shallots, Affagato for dessert.

Happy Holiday to everyone on AC!

Don P

avta

« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2023, 02:38 pm »
Dry rub tenderloin of beef, smashed potatoes, Caesar salad, Oz zinfandel, apple galette.

GentleBender

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2023, 06:16 pm »

I smoked a standing rib roast.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 26 Dec 2023, 02:55 am »
Everyone agreed the Mole Poblano de Guajolote turned out fantastic. Served with salad, homemade black beans, arroz con tomate and fresh Doña Esperanza thin stretchy flour tortillas.
Dessert was homemade pecan pie.

What makes authentic Mexican flour tortillas thin, stretchy and really yummy? They are made with lard and beef shortening. Accept no substitutes.

James Edward

« Reply #11 on: 26 Dec 2023, 02:04 pm »
I've got a houseful over New Year's.  Pork ribs the first night, pork enchiladas the second, prime rib on New Year's Eve. 
Ribs are simple with salt/pepper rub over lots of mesquite smoke.  The enchiladas are a bit more complex.  Slow cooked pork butt with onion, garlic, oranges in juice, and a bit of cayenne.  Sauce is rehydrated red guajillo peppers, an ancho, cayenne, bit of chipolte, cocoa, cinnamon, onion, garlic, bit of sugar, and cayenne to taste.   Prime rib seared over mesquite fire, then slow smoked for hours thereafter.  Beer with ribs and enchiladas, well aged Ridge zinfandel and old grand reserva Rioja to go with the prime rib.   Tokaji and cookies for desert.     
What Rioja? There used to be more available at wine shops on Long Island, but not so much anymore. Occasionally La Rioja Alta Gran Reserva 904 pops up, and I pick some up- always a treat.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #12 on: 26 Dec 2023, 03:04 pm »
Smoked six pounds of Standing Rib. Made an herbed butter for the meat with a horseradish 'dip'.
Also made some cream cheese filled jalapeno bacon wrapped "poppers", garlic new potatoes and finally some overcooked bread.
Overall, a 9/10 meal.

Today, I'm making beef sandwiches with 'jus' from the drippings I gathered yesterday on the smoker.

S Clark

« Reply #13 on: 26 Dec 2023, 04:40 pm »
All that prime rib is making me hungry.   
Bob, what Santoku knife is that?   

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #14 on: 26 Dec 2023, 05:17 pm »
All that prime rib is making me hungry.   
Bob, what Santoku knife is that?

[Sorry my images turned out to be massive]

Hey Scott!
Love this knife. I've not sharpened it yet, it's holding an amazing blade. I checked how long it's been since I've owned it.
Had a little chuckle as I ordered it on Christmas day last last year. Sooo.... Happy 1st birthday to my knife. haha
Here's a link:

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/yagisahaensa.html

ratituded

« Reply #15 on: 26 Dec 2023, 11:48 pm »
Being from Texas it was an easy decision for dinners. Night before Thanksgiving is cornbread and pinto beans. Balance of the cornbread goes to stuffing the next day.
Christmas this year we had Chili, tamales and chili con queso. All homemade. Those tamales ain't easy. Takes a couple days but worth the effort. New Year's is more traditional with ham and black-eyed peas.
Do y'all eat black-eyed peas up north?