GMOs good or not?

werd

Re: GMOs good or not?
« Reply #260 on: 15 Jul 2016, 04:12 pm »
I agree with everything drphoto said above. It's basically how the GMOs are wielded by some companies.  Breeding stock GMOs for the purpose of herbicide resistance is no different than the tradition breeding. Instead of standing over a hundred plants and spraying herbicide. They do it in a lab to see what lives. It's the same thing but more efficient from what I can see.

Although it appears companies like Monsanto use GMOs to gain a particular advantage. Which is fine from a theoretical POV. The problem is they can't regulate themselves. They talk in language of toxicology using NOEAL to promote the safety of their herbicides. (Promoting GMOs to enhance the sale to the farmer). They communicate if a substance is kept under the NOAEL , it's safe. It doesn't have to be GMO either.

The problem I see with this. (I suspect I am correct).  The increased mobilization of Glysophate by farmers spraying herbicide makes me doubt - we are anywhere near - under a safe exposure. How do we know? The only people who are doing this unbiased are the Europeans. They claim it's in their urine. 

Knowing the past practices of Monsanto I can't believe a word they say.  I live in a farming community. There is canola growing everywhere in the city from drift. I would have canola growing in m back yard if I didn't cut my grass.  Farmers are right next to the city spraying that crap like it is going out of style. How would I ever know the levels of Glysophate in my body?  I can't and will never know.

This is what I am saying. Monsanto plays the big safety speech. Maintaining the safe exposure of Glysophate. Knowing full well there is no way. There is fricken NO- way. Not a chance in hell that any one can measure the amount of Glysophate in their body.

Having to trust a company like Monsanto is fucked-up. It's a complete failure of our government in regulating a toxic substance. 

OzarkTom

« Reply #261 on: 15 Jul 2016, 05:05 pm »

But I seriously doubt GMO foods will unleash some sort of disease or other direct health issue.

GMO's? not so much (in terms of affecting health)

The animals are suffering from GMO's.

http://www.blacklistednews.com/Yes_%E2%80%93_Animals_Suffer_from_Genetically_Modified_Foods,_Says_Primatologist_Jane_Goodall/45918/0/38/38/Y/M.html

http://naturalsociety.com/former-epa-scientist-speaks-out-against-gmos/
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2016, 06:53 pm by OzarkTom »

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #262 on: 15 Jul 2016, 05:26 pm »
It's amazing how stubborn some people are. You'd think after the Agent Orange episode people would smarten up. How can you trust those people. Corporations are people, you know.

Doc

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #263 on: 15 Jul 2016, 05:41 pm »
Breeding stock GMOs for the purpose of herbicide resistance is no different than the tradition breeding. Instead of standing over a hundred plants and spraying herbicide. They do it in a lab to see what lives. It's the same thing but more efficient from what I can see.

This misunderstanding is a huge issue, GM is not breeding. There's a good reason why all species can't interbreed, think about it. We are combining genetics that could never be combined through breeding which produces results that can't be fully understood. It's a huge, massive difference vs combing genetics through breeding, which can and does happen naturally.

For example, cabbage that produces scorpion poison, a plant/insect hybrid... what could possible go wrong, lol... :)

drphoto

« Reply #264 on: 15 Jul 2016, 09:14 pm »
Dave, I once saw some racist idiot on TV condemning interracial marriage saying you don't see red birds mate with blue one, and I thought

....well that's because they're different species you moron!

sorry if again political.

I think the future of medicine  will be via genetic manipulation and nano tech. Remember, any cancer is caused by a genetic anomoly.  Once that day arrives we can end what is the barbaric practice of chemo.  (I also have a background in clinical pharmacy.....weird careers I know, because my main business is commercial photography.)

cheers to all!

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #265 on: 15 Jul 2016, 10:17 pm »
Dave, I once saw some racist idiot on TV condemning interracial marriage saying you don't see red birds mate with blue one, and I thought

I think the future of medicine  will be via genetic manipulation and nano tech. Remember, any cancer is caused by a genetic anomoly.  Once that day arrives we can end what is the barbaric practice of chemo.  (I also have a background in clinical pharmacy.....weird careers I know, because my main business is commercial photography.)

cheers to all!

I agree, there is a future and very useful things will result from genetic manipulation and nano tech, but I'm not convinced GMO crops are necessary... instead local and organic food production should be encouraged. The total and complete dependency on fossil fuels to produce and transport our food supply is a problem that GMO won't solve, it takes us in exactly the wrong direction. The thought we NEED GMO to feed the world is misguided and simply propaganda. 

drphoto

« Reply #266 on: 15 Jul 2016, 10:59 pm »
Dave, once again, I agree with you. But as stated, MAYBE GMO's can have some benefit too. Especially for 3rd world folk.

Any tech has it's good and bad side. A knife is a tool, or a weapon.

I gotta say, genetic manipulation is a pretty fascinating subject. I had a former chemistry student who went on to get a phD in biochem, specializing in genetic splicing. Cool stuff. Way over my head. I'm not that smart by any stretch.  :(

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #267 on: 16 Jul 2016, 11:58 am »

cheers to all!
Animals do it because they have no soul and free will, they
follow his instinct that are genetic orders of the Creator.

Human beings have a soul and free will, this gentleman said that because the human races has different levels of spiritual evolution, resulting in a more carnal person degrades the offspring of his most spiritual partner.

As is known human races are famous for their behavior, one is clearly lazy, other is intellectual, another is detail oriented and musical etc...

OzarkTom

« Reply #268 on: 16 Jul 2016, 12:35 pm »
A 5 1/2 month study on pigs eating GMO feed.(short  video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmM9Dnl8zmY

OzarkTom

« Reply #269 on: 16 Jul 2016, 12:53 pm »

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #270 on: 16 Jul 2016, 04:45 pm »

As is known human races are famous for their behavior, one is clearly lazy, other is intellectual, another is detail oriented and musical etc...
There is only one race; the human race.

drphoto

« Reply #271 on: 16 Jul 2016, 05:25 pm »
amen brother

Wayner

« Reply #272 on: 16 Jul 2016, 06:14 pm »
I agree, there is a future and very useful things will result from genetic manipulation and nano tech, but I'm not convinced GMO crops are necessary... instead local and organic food production should be encouraged. The total and complete dependency on fossil fuels to produce and transport our food supply is a problem that GMO won't solve, it takes us in exactly the wrong direction. The thought we NEED GMO to feed the world is misguided and simply propaganda.

Where do you live? I live in the heart of Minnesota. It is a "Mecca" for food and crop production. Many of my friends that I have tea with every morning are farmers. I'm going to show them this thread so they can all have a good laugh. If you think we can feed the world with organically grown crops, you are spewing propaganda. Of course, I'm sure almost all here have hardly seen a farm, let alone work on one, bale hay of participate in butchering a hog or steer.

We have 2 local vegetable farms near here. The labor force required to run a farm like this would not be possible without migrant farm workers, there is simply too much work to get it all done. Not eating meat is one's own personal choice, but the best beef cattle are raised on grass. Lots of this grass land (or pasture land) is prefect for this process. The cattle consume the grass (not in real conflict with other foods in the food chain) and we eat the cattle.

BTW, almost every food item you guys eat today is the result of hybrid manipulation. Cattle are. Tomatoes never used to have thick skin as they do now, and in the old days, had a high mortality rate getting to the market. This is in fact, gene manipulation.

ctviggen

« Reply #273 on: 16 Jul 2016, 07:53 pm »
The best cattle, lamb, etc., are produced on grass. The omega 6 to omega 3 ratio is much better, as is the amount of CLA.  Cows should not be eating wheat and the other garbage they're being fed.  We should also be eating tip to tail and eating brains, liver, kidney, heart, etc.  I've started to do this.  We've made our own tallow (from a grass fed cow) and lard (from a locally raised pig).  We've ordered several locally raised pigs (including heritage breeds) and 1/2 a cow.

On the other hand, the products we're using are going places they shouldn't, like wine:

http://www.ecowatch.com/monsantos-glyphosate-found-in-california-wines-even-wines-made-with-or-1882199552.html

I personally do not eat current wheat or any other grain, if at all possible.  I will eat Einkorn wheat every once in while, and I make the bread/rolls/English muffins myself. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #274 on: 16 Jul 2016, 08:59 pm »
Where do you live? I live in the heart of Minnesota. It is a "Mecca" for food and crop production. Many of my friends that I have tea with every morning are farmers. I'm going to show them this thread so they can all have a good laugh. If you think we can feed the world with organically grown crops, you are spewing propaganda. Of course, I'm sure almost all here have hardly seen a farm, let alone work on one, bale hay of participate in butchering a hog or steer.

We have 2 local vegetable farms near here. The labor force required to run a farm like this would not be possible without migrant farm workers, there is simply too much work to get it all done. Not eating meat is one's own personal choice, but the best beef cattle are raised on grass. Lots of this grass land (or pasture land) is prefect for this process. The cattle consume the grass (not in real conflict with other foods in the food chain) and we eat the cattle.

BTW, almost every food item you guys eat today is the result of hybrid manipulation. Cattle are. Tomatoes never used to have thick skin as they do now, and in the old days, had a high mortality rate getting to the market. This is in fact, gene manipulation.

Many years ago I owned an organic mushroom farm, sold at farmer's markets and know lots of organic farmers. But I guess you having tea with some folks makes you an expert... enough to tell me I'm "spewing propaganda", lol. So spare me your condescension... it's not like all farmers agree on all topics anyways, they are people who have differing opinions, that's why some own organic farms and others do not.

You are correct about the requirement for increased labor, but I don't see that as a huge problem, just an adjustment.

You are also ignorant about the difference between breeding and genetic manipulation. Breeding IS NOT, in fact, genetic manipulation in the same way GMOs are created. Breeding as allowed by genetics can happen naturally, injecting scorpion genes into cabbage is something else entirely. If you can't understand the difference there I'm not sure what to say, but it seems like willful ignorance to me.

drphoto

« Reply #275 on: 16 Jul 2016, 09:04 pm »
Hey Wayne. I grew up on a farm. Believe me I've put up plenty of hay. Back in the bad old days when it was square bales and you had to load wagon and the barn by hand. And any day you had to do it? Would always be the hottest of the year!! :lol:

Like most discussions/arguments, there are always two sides and both have their valid points.

You are correct about producing food for a planet with 7 billion people. And very few now work in ag. When I was a kid, and especially when looking at my parents generation, America was largely a rural county. Now what? Less than a few per cent are farmers?

So that's going to take mass production techniques to feed all the city folk. Not to mention the fact that food, in the US is pretty cheap. We used to spend what 20% of income on food in the 60's. It's now down to like 10%. (Assuming you don't go to fancy restaurants every night)

And even with the decline of the middle class in this country, we are still pretty rich by and large. So if there are people who can afford organic produce so be it.

But widespread use of organophosphate chemicals is undoubtably a bad thing, especially if used indiscriminately. Fertilizer runoff into water ways is a huge problem. but what are you gonna do about it? Maybe we could reduce the need for a lot of mass grown corn if we all went vegetarian. But that's just not gonna happen. and if it did? what happens to those farmers and ranchers and processors? The world is shades of grey people, there is no black and white.

Again, it's like a lot of things in the modern world where there is good and bad sides. another example: We love our cars. We love cheap gas, but we become outraged when there are oil spills. Hey.....it's gonna happen. Stuff breaks, people make mistakes. Sure it's bad, and it sucks, but what do you expect?

But local food is good too. It's hard to beat a real tomato fresh off the vine or an ear of sweet corn that has just been just picked. I always look forward to summer when I can stop by the roadside stands some of the local farmers kids set up. I live in KY. So there are still small farms nearby.

As to Viggs post:

Agree that natural grass fed beef is great at least when I ate it. What we had on farm as a kid.  And I agree, that if you are going to consume animals, use the whole carcass, like they do in poorer countries. It's funny that some of the best food came out of poverty and people using the 'leftover' bits in clever ways. Like BBQ brisket. An otherwise unpalatable bit of meat rendered fantastic. BTW: I have nothing against eating meat, It's just something I choose not to do, at least for the time being. I like meat, but there is a pork processing plant just a few blocks from my studio and it kinda turned me off to it for various reasons.

Sorry if I seem to be ranting folks. Really don't mean to come off as hostile to anyone or making political statements.

Wayner

« Reply #276 on: 16 Jul 2016, 09:36 pm »
Many years ago I owned an organic mushroom farm, sold at farmer's markets and know lots of organic farmers. But I guess you having tea with some folks makes you an expert... enough to tell me I'm "spewing propaganda", lol. So spare me your condescension... it's not like all farmers agree on all topics anyways, they are people who have differing opinions, that's why some own organic farms and others do not.

You are correct about the requirement for increased labor, but I don't see that as a huge problem, just an adjustment.

You are also ignorant about the difference between breeding and genetic manipulation. Breeding IS NOT, in fact, genetic manipulation in the same way GMOs are created. Breeding as allowed by genetics can happen naturally, injecting scorpion genes into cabbage is something else entirely. If you can't understand the difference there I'm not sure what to say, but it seems like willful ignorance to me.

Watch out  who you call ignorant. I believe I didn't call you any names there, DAVE. You have no idea of my knowledge base.

Oh yeah, some of my "farmer" friends run many thousands of acres, as opposed to your "mushroom" farm. I'm probably going to listen to their wisdom.

Wayner

« Reply #277 on: 16 Jul 2016, 09:40 pm »
Hey Wayne. I grew up on a farm. Believe me I've put up plenty of hay. Back in the bad old days when it was square bales and you had to load wagon and the barn by hand. And any day you had to do it? Would always be the hottest of the year!! :lol:

Like most discussions/arguments, there are always two sides and both have their valid points.

You are correct about producing food for a planet with 7 billion people. And very few now work in ag. When I was a kid, and especially when looking at my parents generation, America was largely a rural county. Now what? Less than a few per cent are farmers?

So that's going to take mass production techniques to feed all the city folk. Not to mention the fact that food, in the US is pretty cheap. We used to spend what 20% of income on food in the 60's. It's now down to like 10%. (Assuming you don't go to fancy restaurants every night)

And even with the decline of the middle class in this country, we are still pretty rich by and large. So if there are people who can afford organic produce so be it.

But widespread use of organophosphate chemicals is undoubtably a bad thing, especially if used indiscriminately. Fertilizer runoff into water ways is a huge problem. but what are you gonna do about it? Maybe we could reduce the need for a lot of mass grown corn if we all went vegetarian. But that's just not gonna happen. and if it did? what happens to those farmers and ranchers and processors? The world is shades of grey people, there is no black and white.

Again, it's like a lot of things in the modern world where there is good and bad sides. another example: We love our cars. We love cheap gas, but we become outraged when there are oil spills. Hey.....it's gonna happen. Stuff breaks, people make mistakes. Sure it's bad, and it sucks, but what do you expect?

But local food is good too. It's hard to beat a real tomato fresh off the vine or an ear of sweet corn that has just been just picked. I always look forward to summer when I can stop by the roadside stands some of the local farmers kids set up. I live in KY. So there are still small farms nearby.

As to Viggs post:

Agree that natural grass fed beef is great at least when I ate it. What we had on farm as a kid.  And I agree, that if you are going to consume animals, use the whole carcass, like they do in poorer countries. It's funny that some of the best food came out of poverty and people using the 'leftover' bits in clever ways. Like BBQ brisket. An otherwise unpalatable bit of meat rendered fantastic. BTW: I have nothing against eating meat, It's just something I choose not to do, at least for the time being. I like meat, but there is a pork processing plant just a few blocks from my studio and it kinda turned me off to it for various reasons.

Sorry if I seem to be ranting folks. Really don't mean to come off as hostile to anyone or making political statements.

Yes, I have thrown my share of hay bales and picked my share of rocks, too. I'm certainly not saying that present day farming doesn't have its problems, but I certainly understand their task at hand, and I'm not going to bad mouth them as some here have done.

They have to use the tools that are available to them at the time, and I think they do a pretty good job. Food prices here are OK, but they are rising (due to other factors).

drphoto

« Reply #278 on: 16 Jul 2016, 10:14 pm »
Cool, I think the point of my rambling post above, is the world is a complicated place. And there are unfortunately few simple answers to many problems.

And selective breeding IS in a sense, genetic manipulation. Ok maybe not as radical as introducing genes from one organism into another.

But once again, these things are tools, and can be used for good or bad.

Lets say you found the best tasting, but longest lasting tomato ever. By selective breeding it could take many years to isolate But what if you isolated the genes responsible for those good traits and could splice? and do it in a short period of time?. I think that's a lot different than producing a "toxic killer tomato".

And if one company held the patent on the ultimate tomato? I'd be up against my own argument from earlier. See.....complicated. :duh:

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #279 on: 16 Jul 2016, 11:04 pm »
Watch out  who you call ignorant. I believe I didn't call you any names there, DAVE. You have no idea of my knowledge base.

Saying you're ignorant of the differences between breeding and genetic modification is not calling you names.