Abbe's Honduras Medical Mission Fundraiser shindig Sunday June 12, 2 to 5 pm

daves

We volunteered to help Abbe and Francis out with their fundraiser after MCGurks fell to the wayside, and the tentative date we are looking at is June 12, a Sunday, from 2 pm to 5pm. We wanted to get this out so you can plan to make it over, and help them in their efforts.

We will need rsvps so we can plan accordingly, and probably a solid effort on the food front as well. One item that Abbe specifically mentioned we could help with is donations of childrens' vitamins. As soon as we get specific brands and/or types, I will let everyone know.

Thanks, Dave
« Last Edit: 3 Jun 2016, 01:11 am by daves »

Blackmore

Re: Probable shindig on Sunday June 5 or 12
« Reply #1 on: 3 May 2016, 03:34 pm »
This is great Dave. I'm ready to help any way I can.

Scott F.

« Reply #2 on: 3 May 2016, 07:03 pm »
Can't say for sure that we can make it but I'm standing by, waiting on instructions for the fundraiser.

Francis, send me a note with a list of things Abbe needs for her trip and I'll get as much as I can.

daves

« Reply #3 on: 5 May 2016, 06:35 pm »
Scott, I'll need some guidance re picking up a few bottles of single malt, especially if you can't make it.

Scott F.

« Reply #4 on: 6 May 2016, 01:59 am »
Just in case...

If you want a really good Highland Scotch, look no further than Oban, very smooth and a great all around drink, my personal fav.

A Speyside is nearly as good as a Highland. Any of those you'll know by name, Glenlivet, Glenfiddich, Macallan, all are nice quality

For a Islay scotch, Laiphroaig, very peaty and smokey. For most, this peaty of scotch is an acquired taste though they have a solid following.

For the Highland and Speyside, I would suggest a really nice Dominican cigar. It should be as smooth as the scotch. For the Islay I would go with a nice spicy Nicaraguan. 

Since I was asked to help corrupt...I figured what the heck, may as well include another vice  :thumb:

daves

« Reply #5 on: 7 May 2016, 12:30 am »
Scott, thanks for the advice. Colleen had fun picking these single malts out over at Brentwood Promenade at Total Liquors...

Scott F.

« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2016, 11:42 am »
Very nice :thumb:

electricbear

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2016, 05:11 pm »
Scott you need to try the Highland Park 18. A friend bought me a bottle and it has fast become my favorite. Nice smokiness with an incredible complexity on the aftertaste. 

Scott F.

« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2016, 06:19 pm »
I'll put it on my list :thumb: in fact we're headed to Lucas right after lunch.

daves

Re: Probable fundraising shindig on Sunday June 12
« Reply #9 on: 9 May 2016, 12:39 am »
We are starting to firm the date at Sunday, June 12.

Baumli

« Reply #10 on: 13 May 2016, 07:51 am »
Dear folks,

This note replies to the exchange between Tim and Scott. But I am informed by a local spirits representative that the 18-year Highland Park single-malt Scotch can not be bought in Missouri. Is this true? If so, it is abominable heresy.

Thirsty for whisky,

Francis Baumli

electricbear

« Reply #11 on: 13 May 2016, 08:41 pm »
Scott must have bought up Missouri's ration.

Baumli

« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2016, 07:29 am »
Dear GAS gentry,

It appears that matters are in order for the gathering at Dave Sheckleton's place. This will be the fest with food, spirits, a "silent auction" of audio paraphernalia (all legal) and non-audio items also.

The purpose of this gathering is to raise money to support the Washington Overseas Mission which is headed by my wife, involving taking a medical brigade (as they call it) to The Honduras. This time they are taking dental and optometry services also.

Dave and Colleen generously offered their place when the venue at McGurk's no longer was an option. So there won't be that steep $25 admission fee. As an admission fee, my wife suggests one of three options: a small cash donation, or one bottle of children's vitamins with iron (the non-gummy type, because the gummy type melts in the Honduran heat), or nothing if you can't afford it. [I should  note that my masculine sensibilities feel affronted to here type in the word "gummy" for describing a vitamin. It just sounds so wimpy.]

Some very appealing audio niceties are being gathered. A list will be posted later as they come in. So put this date on your calendar: Sunday, June 12, from 2 to 5. Dave and Colleen's address is:

530 Sappington Barracks Road
Mehlville, Missouri  63125

Entertainment will be provided by Liam. (As usual.)

We would very much like an RSVP so we know how many people to expect. (In fact, we may have to limit the number.) So let Dave know, or you can let me know, via a PM on this website, by writing me, or by phoning me. My particulars are:

Francis Baumli
4 Ranch Lane
Saint Louis, Missouri   63131
Phone: (314) 966-2167

So let's do this one right. A real fest this time.

Thanking you in advance,

Francis Baumli

P.S. The first time Dave spoke to me about sending me a "PM" on this website (we were talking by phone), I was shocked. My wife is a physician, I almost became a physician, and in our vocabulary a "PM" is a "post-mortem." In other words, an autopsy. I am not being at all facetious in stating that I thought Dave meant he was going to send me a dismantled corpse. Fortunately, since we were on the phone together, we got that misunderstanding clarified real quick.

Scott F.

« Reply #13 on: 20 May 2016, 09:12 am »
Hi Francis, Dave,

Laura and I won't be making it. Knowing Dave has limited space, we'll make room for the other revelers. All is not lost. As we have spoken,we'll be providing a portion of the vitamins Abbe needs for the year. Also, I've got Francis placing a proxy bid for me on an audio item or two since we won't be making it this year.

Just in case you guys are looking for bulk children's vitamins, Amazon has the NutraBulk brand available in 250,500,1000 and the mega 12,000 counts. If you are a Prime member, shipping is free. Looks like they are half the cost of the Flintstones brand when you buy the mega-packs.
<deleted link - see better option from Francis/Abbe below>

Francis, can you have Abbe look at these and see if these suit her needs?

Though we won't be there this year in body, you know we're there in spirit. You guys have fun....and raise lots of money!

Scott
« Last Edit: 21 May 2016, 11:55 am by Scott F. »

daves

Re: Abbe's Medical Mission Fundraising shindig on Sunday June 12
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2016, 11:43 pm »
If possible, please volunteer to bring one of these dishes. The more we can facilitate, the less Abbe and her friends have to worry about! Thanks for helping. We will be providing a large pot of award winning jambalaya, cornbread, an egg and cheese strata, and Companion breads, along with most of the single malts.

Needed
1. Deli meats..sliced beef, chicken, ham, turkey 3 to 5 pounds... Mark
2. Deli meats..sliced beef, chicken, ham, turkey 3 to 5 pounds
2a. Grass fed beef... Kyle
3. Fruit tray... Gabe and Amelia
4. Fruit tray
5. Veggie tray... Debbie
6. Veggie tray... Kent J
7. Pickle tray
7a. Cheeses/nuts... Ken S
8. Veggie salad
9. Antipasta... Curtis and Mary
10. Dessert... Steve A
Beer and wine
soda ... Dave M
« Last Edit: 24 May 2016, 11:02 pm by daves »

Baumli

http://www.amazon.com/CHILD-CHEW-IRON-TAB-100/dp/B0030CLJAA/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?srs=3034777011&ie=UTF8&qid=1463795661&sr=8-3&keywords=children

Dear Scott:
(Francis here, but this message is from Abbe, after she herself did some looking at Website options.): The vitamins you suggested do not have any iron in them.  I think the aforementioned link provides the least expensive option.

Gratefully:

Abbe

Scott F.

Sounds good, thanks!

daves

For the attendee roster from GAS, we have

Kent
Mike M
Debbie and guest
Mark
Kyle
Ken S
Dave M
Curtis and Mary
Gabe and Amelia
Steve A
John H
« Last Edit: 26 May 2016, 01:37 am by daves »

Blackmore

Dave, I'll be there and I'll volunteer to bring one of the meat trays.
Mark

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
I'll bring Bolyard's grass fed beef for the grill. 

The cost is maybe $9 a pound, but it is quality, local meat and makes a burger that is to die for.

4 lbs is $36 +\-.  If anyone wants to be lazy, I'll make the run, and you can split the cost with me as your contribution.

BK