What Omega?

BigPer

What Omega?
« on: 7 Sep 2015, 03:19 am »
Best Omega for Hi-Rez soundboard recordings of Live Phish?  I got 8 watts sweet tube sound and a 12x24 room.  I have gone back and forth with a few options and already consulted the master.  Interested in what others think.  Peace and love.  Peace and love.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
Re: What Omega?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Sep 2015, 05:05 pm »
Hello BigPer,

Welcome to the AudioCircle.  Could we get a few more details:

-Music preferences.
-Make and model of your amp and source.
-Room details (pictures preferred).
-Stereo on long wall, short wall, etc?

Thanks. CR

BigPer

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2015, 01:50 am »
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the welcome and response.  First time / long time here.

To your questions;

Musical preference:  I listen to a lot of Phish.  That is my focus with speakers selection.  If you are not familiar with Phish I would gladly send you a few gigs of 24 bit flac.  Send me your address if interested.  IMO Phish is the Zappa/Zep/Dan/Dead for my generation.  Simply outstanding quartet.  For the uninitiated and/or skeptical I suggest the studio stuff.  Fuego, their latest effort (Bob Ezrin producer), has some extremely high production value.  It sounds fantastic 16/44 and really showcases what the band is all about (again IMO).  Two of the older albums are available on HD tracks in 24/192.  Both outstanding and worth premium.  But the live recordings is where I prefer; 24/48 straight from the sound board.  And besides Phish I have hard drives full of music;  all the usual suspects, unusual suspects, and everything in between.

Make and model of Amp:  my current obsession is the Dared 2a3c;  my first foray into Tubes.  Bought it used from a gentleman on this site (or agon, ebay, etc.). Anyway it is amazing.  Was encouraged from a post on the Omega circle and have zero regrets. Build quality is suspect with my unit (knob feel is pitiful) but the sound lets me forgive.  Have other amps/integrated all solid state:  Yamaha m-80, cr1020, marantz 2038, and my favorite NAD 7100.  All bought old, used and cheap.  All sound >good.  Source is old imac dedicated to audio; Audirvana + (great sound not great interface).  Dac was NAD 1050 but recently scored Antelope Zodiac +.  NAD is excellent for price.  Probably even better if I had chance to use balanced (4 sale now cheap cheap).  Anyway this will all change so I will stop here.  Zero point zero interest in vinyl (no offensive to the vinyl piecers).

Room details:  12x24.  Stereo on long wall.  Finished basement;  very new refurb with new insulation (closed cell spray foam), drywall, paint, etc.  ~8ft ceiling (BigPer like).  Stereo on left, Wood stove dead center, 8 ft walk out slider far right.

Let know what you think.  I have about a pretty healthy budget for the right option.

And mostly I would live to hear from Omega Owners.  Should I wait for the 8"?  Go xls?  Or monitor and sub (or two)?  Maybe outlaw??  Too many options for me to handle.  Analysis paralysis.  Kindly advise. 

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

BP

jorgen

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2015, 07:13 am »
To be honest you pretty much can't take a wrong turn here. I believe any omega will give you a big smile. With 8watt from the dared you will fill you're room with music.

sebrof

« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2015, 10:12 am »
If the Dared is single ended 2A3 it's almost certainly 3 or 4 watts, not 8.
Regardless what the manufacturer says.

vinagunner

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2015, 03:12 pm »
v
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2016, 03:44 am by vinagunner »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2015, 06:22 pm »
Sebrof is correct, 2A3 is around 3.5 w/ch.  Any Omega will work down to about 1 watt.  One of the most sublime combos with Omegas is the 1.5 w/ch into 8 ohm Decware SE84 SET of any vintage, so your 3.5 w/ch Dared should work very well with any Omega.  If Live Phish and that type of music is your main event, go with a set of Alnico Monitors.  They make a huge soundstage so three dimensional you feel like you can walk into it.  Their tonal balance is the closest to (my perception of) perfection I recall hearing in any speaker regardless of price, and I've heard scores of speakers over the years.  I use no sub, and feel no need to with my system.  YMMV  :thumb:

sruffle

« Reply #7 on: 12 Sep 2015, 01:39 am »
I just got a pair of Super Alnicos about a month ago.  I listen to a lots of live Dead recordings and they do great on this music.  There is plenty of bass so you are not giving up anything I that department.   What I like about it is that with all the detail the Alnicos provide, you can really pick out what each instrument is doing and how the musicians are interacting.  For bands like the Dead and Phish that is a key part of the listening experience.

ozoid

« Reply #8 on: 13 Sep 2015, 04:51 am »
My Alnico monitors powered by a Decware 84 SET (with the new UFO transformers) are a little over 2 months old and I strongly second Canada Rob's suggestion. It's an extremely musical combination.

I too listen to Dead live recordings, including an early ’71 show I attended at an old vaudeville theater outside NYC. I remember Phil Lesh's bass tone from that show the way I remember the Petrus that was served at a Thanksgiving dinner years ago, and that tone was preserved on the recording and faithfully realized through this amp & speakers. And I'm sure you know that Mike Gordon was deeply influenced by Lesh's tone, even duplicated his rigs.

Like Rob, I'm not using subs — a point of contention with some on this forum — but I've found the pure single-driver approach preserves the tonality through the overtone series so everything sounds in tune. Recordings never sound light in the bass.

BigPer

« Reply #9 on: 15 Sep 2015, 03:31 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  Much appreciated.

@Jorgen:  Thanks for the response.  I think you are correct;  no wrong turns with Omega.  But still a tough decision.

@sebrof:  I always wondered why and how the Dared 2a3 was listed at twice watts of all the other 2ac amps I researched.  I would bet the farm you are correct and I guess I could test it but the truth is it sounds really great and I am very satisfied with it so far so I will leave it alone.  Plus it is better for resale:  8 Watts here!   

@Canada Rob:  Thanks for the input and insight into Omega Alnico.  No doubt the Decware with Alnico’s is magic.  Alnico Monitor is at the top of the list.  I can always add sub(s) later if needed.  Thanks again.

@vinnagunner:    I agree; speakers are most important.  Not sure why I have waited this long to get something good.  All my current speakers are 3 and 4 way monsters from the 70’s and 80’s including a massive pair of Cerwin Vega’s I keep in the garage that I can turn up for music by the pool.  Old Kenwood, Yamaha, Infinity, and my current-in-use Sansui PMC-200’s which I happened to be driving past when some older gent was putting them by the curb.  I think I like the chase / find too much for my own good.  Anyway, the 8” are of interest especially with the higher sensitivity.  They seem like they would rock a little more on those nights when the volume gets turned up a little higher than normal.

@sruffle:  Thanks for the comment.  Yes more detail is definitely one thing I am looking for in a speaker.  The Alnico Monitors are tops on my list.  I do have some concerns about the 93 sensitivity rating although perhaps unfounded concerns.  I have a pair of 93 db in my current collection and sometimes they push the amp into the danger zone a little earlier than I would prefer.  Admittedly my current speakers are crappy relics and not in same league as anything from Omega.

@ozoid:  Thank you for:
1)  confirming the Alnico’s are a great choice. 
2) sharing your experience and expertise with the Dead.  Unfortunately I never made it to a show.  My wife never lets me forget she was at the Giants Stadium shows near the end although I am certain it was a much different experience than the ’71 show you are referencing.   Mike Gordon’s bass work is 80% of the reason I listen to Phish.  Outstanding and truly amazing in person but I have yet to hear any speaker that does his work justice.  Really hoping this changes (or at least improves) with Omega.  Thanks for the encouragement.
3)  Petrus!!  I had to look that one up.  You painted quite the picture, sir.  Well done and thank you.

BP

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #10 on: 15 Sep 2015, 03:47 pm »
 :D
 I just have to lob over the fence the amazing clarity,  huge wall of robust sound and symmetry I receive daily from Louis's SUPER 3XRS paired with my Maraschino in-line monos and Tortuga passive pre. 

Absolutely makes me homesick just writing about this pairing.
best,
Tom

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the welcome and response.  First time / long time here.

To your questions;

Musical preference:  I listen to a lot of Phish.  That is my focus with speakers selection.  If you are not familiar with Phish I would gladly send you a few gigs of 24 bit flac.  Send me your address if interested.  IMO Phish is the Zappa/Zep/Dan/Dead for my generation.  Simply outstanding quartet.  For the uninitiated and/or skeptical I suggest the studio stuff.  Fuego, their latest effort (Bob Ezrin producer), has some extremely high production value.  It sounds fantastic 16/44 and really showcases what the band is all about (again IMO).  Two of the older albums are available on HD tracks in 24/192.  Both outstanding and worth premium.  But the live recordings is where I prefer; 24/48 straight from the sound board.  And besides Phish I have hard drives full of music;  all the usual suspects, unusual suspects, and everything in between.

Make and model of Amp:  my current obsession is the Dared 2a3c;  my first foray into Tubes.  Bought it used from a gentleman on this site (or agon, ebay, etc.). Anyway it is amazing.  Was encouraged from a post on the Omega circle and have zero regrets. Build quality is suspect with my unit (knob feel is pitiful) but the sound lets me forgive.  Have other amps/integrated all solid state:  Yamaha m-80, cr1020, marantz 2038, and my favorite NAD 7100.  All bought old, used and cheap.  All sound >good.  Source is old imac dedicated to audio; Audirvana + (great sound not great interface).  Dac was NAD 1050 but recently scored Antelope Zodiac +.  NAD is excellent for price.  Probably even better if I had chance to use balanced (4 sale now cheap cheap).  Anyway this will all change so I will stop here.  Zero point zero interest in vinyl (no offensive to the vinyl piecers).

Room details:  12x24.  Stereo on long wall.  Finished basement;  very new refurb with new insulation (closed cell spray foam), drywall, paint, etc.  ~8ft ceiling (BigPer like).  Stereo on left, Wood stove dead center, 8 ft walk out slider far right.

Let know what you think.  I have about a pretty healthy budget for the right option.

And mostly I would live to hear from Omega Owners.  Should I wait for the 8"?  Go xls?  Or monitor and sub (or two)?  Maybe outlaw??  Too many options for me to handle.  Analysis paralysis.  Kindly advise. 

Many thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,

BP

Flinx99

« Reply #11 on: 26 Sep 2015, 07:23 pm »
BigPer,

I have to go with all the others that are recommending the Super Alnicos.  I have Super 3is and love them.  I would have to think that Super Alnicos would be serious value for the money spent, so well worth it.  If these were in the running for me, I would get them without hesitation.

I met Trey once.  I sold my motorcycle to him in 1991 and his girlfriend drove us down to Montpelier so I could turn the title over to him.  Yeah, Vermont is that small.  At least it was then.  :  ).  Phish played the bars in Burlington when I went to school there.  Hindsight is 20/20 and I was kid then, but I wish I had paid more attention to them.  The album Trey told me they were getting ready to release when we were in line at the DMV was A Picture of Nectar.  I'm sure you know the story, but for others reading this post, Nectar's was/is a very popular bar in Burlington and Nectar himself is on the cover of the album.

Jim

Best Omega for Hi-Rez soundboard recordings of Live Phish?  I got 8 watts sweet tube sound and a 12x24 room.  I have gone back and forth with a few options and already consulted the master.  Interested in what others think.  Peace and love.  Peace and love.

Dsaldivar

« Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2015, 07:44 pm »
Sorry wrong thread

smk

• Life's a bummer, then you pay taxes.
« Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2015, 08:05 pm »
I don't think you could go wrong with Omega. You might consider an Omega subwoofer.