MAAC Summer Meet

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
MAAC Summer Meet
« on: 19 Jun 2014, 12:47 am »
Putting some feelers out there for interest in attending a summer meet up for MAAC that I could host.  It's been super quiet since end of last year + departure of our mutual friend PhilA for the balmy shores of FLA, who did more than his fair share of hosting.

Round about June last year I hosted a meet up at my place.  For those who don't know me, I'm somewhat of an AV "hoarder" with a "system" of one sort or another in any room of my house I can fit one (see "systems" link in my profile).  So there's plenty of rooms with gear of all ages to check out, and at any given time I'm usually demoing something or other interesting.  I also have a decent size patio + grill for alternate entertainment.

As for timing, the next few weeks are not optimal (and probably to close on anyway), but could be the week or two before Capital Audiofest (which is 26-29 July), or else the weekends following. 

Though Saturdays have tended to be preferred for meetings, would like to try for a Sunday if possible as some long standing MAAC guys work Saturday's & would like to be able to have them attend as well. Day timing could be similar : say 2-3Pm onwards.

So please let me know if there is interest in the following Sunday's & will take it from there :

July : 13, 20
August : 3, 10, 17, 24

I can certainly support w/ cheap beer / pizza, or you all can bring your fancy brews to drink or stuff to grill.

Looking forward to kickstarting MAAC meetups again!

Jon

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: MAAC Summer Meet
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jun 2014, 03:12 am »
August 23 or 24.

DTB300

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jun 2014, 03:24 pm »
Either works for me...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 19 Jun 2014, 04:28 pm »
CAF is July 25-27.  Aug 24 is good.  After that the college football season starts and I will be tied up on a lot of weekends.

Roscoe Primrose

• DC Audio DIY
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2014, 05:28 pm »
Any of the August dates should work for me....

Roscoe

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2014, 06:10 pm »
Jon,
Thanks for offering to host.  July 20 and August 3. 10, or 17 work for me.
Rich

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2014, 06:26 pm »
Looks like Sunday 24 August is emerging as the front runner….

RW - still have pending checking out your electrostatic solutions ESL 57 rebuild!  Some day still have it mind a pair of 57's for the "vintage attic" system.

Soon will have a Conrad Johnson ET5 / LP125SA+ stack for demo here w/ the MG 1.7's if your interested in hearing an alternative tube / planar set up & can't make 24 August.

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jun 2014, 06:55 pm »
Ohhhh.  I have lusted after the CJ ET5.  Another MAACer has an ET3, which sounds mighty fine, so I can only imagine how the ET5 betters that.  Would love to hear the CJ stack and 1.7s.  Will get in touch with you if I can't make the Aug 24 date.  We'll have family here then, but maybe I can get a day pass from the Mrs.
Rich

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 19 Jun 2014, 10:28 pm »
Sounds good, I'd like to finally make it to a meet.  The suggested date(s) are fine for me.

Robin Hood

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jun 2014, 06:14 pm »
Any date in August is fine with me.

And if you have a second meet to demo the Conrad Johnson ET5 / LP125SA+ stack w/ the MG 1.7's please count me in.

pansixt

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jun 2014, 03:50 am »
Well I have to chime in here. I have missed a few meets due to my Saturday work schedule, and jarcher has graciously tried to put together a Sunday meet to help those of us to whom a Saturday is a tough day, make one. That's the kind of good friend and supporter of our hobby that he is.

It will be so good to see all of you and hear some music on different systems that he has in play at his pad. I am looking so forward to that day, almost as much as CapFest (which I have scheduled off work for thank goodness).

The new CJ stuff with the Maggies and the not oft mentioned Auralic Vega DAC ( I think I got that right, I know I heard it right) will impress most of you. Sucks that Phil won't be there though. We will miss him there and of course at the show.

Anyway, see Y'all there.

James

pansixt

« Reply #11 on: 22 Jun 2014, 03:58 am »
Ohhhh.  I have lusted after the CJ ET5.
Rich

I hear ya Rich. As for lusting, I have lusted after those Quads I heard at your home and hopefully will get to hear again before too awful long. :thumb: We have a friend that apparently has an agreement with Quad or someone to restore 63's and claims to have many in storage and a waiting list. And I have seen some at his home complete and in use, and others in different stages of restoration.
James

Modify: I have pictures of the 53's and when they flash by with the rest of your setup on my screen show, I always smile. 8)

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jun 2014, 04:08 am »
Hey all - looks like we have broad consensus on Sunday August 24th, so let's go with that.  There's only a few more folks from MAAC that I know of that we haven't heard from yet who will hopefully be able to do that date.

Can't guarantee that I'll have the ET5 / LP125SA+ combo for August 24th - although I am leaning more seriously for at least buying the amp.  In any case, if there are folks out there who want to pop by in the next few weeks to have a listen, let me know.  I will at the least have my current CJ PV10 pre + CJ MV75A1 amp - more the classic golden CJ sound, but still very good.

rhmmmm

« Reply #13 on: 22 Jun 2014, 11:51 am »
Sounds great, count me in.

Rob

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #14 on: 21 Aug 2014, 04:09 am »
PM us the address.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #15 on: 21 Aug 2014, 06:56 pm »
Hey all : just a reminder of the end of summer MAAC meet @ my place this Sunday starting from 1pm.  Many have previously expressed interest in coming, but would appreciate a confirmation by PM or otherwise so I can make sure there's elbow room for all.  Probably - there's always the backyard for drinking + grilling as well.  But would be nice to know.  If I DON'T receive a confirmation I'll assume your NOT coming, in which case there will be a door charge if you do!  :wink:

There will be some beer + cheap pizza on me on a first come first serve basis.  But feel free to bring what you want to drink / grill if you like - or even dessert stuff. And of course your music - all formats welcome (no tape).

Here's an updated list gear-wise of what will be on offer to listen - if we can all shut our yappers for 5 minutes!  :lol:

Basement :

Conrad Johnson ET5 Preamp
Conrad Johnson LP125SA+ Amp
Auralic Vega DAC
Turntable : TBD
Magnepan 1.7
REL T9 Sub

Parallel HT System (time permitting):
Marantz 7005
Krell Showcase 7
5 extra channels of Magnepan center / surround channels
JVC RS1 projector + Stewart Studiotek 130 screen

Living Room :

Conrad Johnson PV10 Pre
Conrad Johnson MV75A1 - just back from a full restore / upgrade from it's designer + former CJ man, Bill Thalman
VPI Traveler w/ Ortofon Rondo Bronze MC
Sonic Frontiers Tube Phono Pre
Oppo 105D - full mod / upgrade, also from Bill Thalman.  Better clock, much better all discrete JFET analog output section (cheap op amps begone) and power supply, no dorky tubes sticking out.  Better than a Modwright?  Well, it costs the same, so come judge for yourself. Will A/B vs the "famous" Auralic Vega
Totem Arro's + REL T-5 sub

"Guest appearance" : TEAC Reference 501 DAC + Integrated Amp + CD Player (DSD on CD-R!)

Office:

TEAC 301 Integrated + DAC fed by Imac
TEAC HPA-50 Headphone Amp
Dennis Murphy Modded Pioneer 22's
Grado SR80 + RS2
Mr Speakers Mad Dog Pro

"Vintage" Attic :

Work in progress.  Some new surprises : by invitation only!

Roscoe Primrose

• DC Audio DIY
« Reply #16 on: 21 Aug 2014, 07:11 pm »
I'm planning on being there...

Roscoe

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #17 on: 21 Aug 2014, 08:03 pm »
My arm is in a sling with a broken collar bone.  I am doped on Vicodin and thus cannot drink any beer or wine.

But I will still be there.  I will bring Roscoe's cooler too.

See y'all.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #18 on: 22 Aug 2014, 01:54 am »
Is there a dress code and can I bring my dog?

Just kidding...on one of the questions.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #19 on: 22 Aug 2014, 03:07 am »
My arm is in a sling with a broken collar bone.  I am doped on Vicodin and thus cannot drink any beer or wine.

But I will still be there.  I will bring Roscoe's cooler too.

See y'all.

Make sure to bring enough Vicodin for everyone - or at least for me. We can zone out in the attic with the new vintage system and let everyone else play with the rest of the toys.  :lol:

Remind me first though to give you back the tubes + tote I keep forgetting about.