Tube amp for Omega.

Audiolad

Tube amp for Omega.
« on: 16 May 2014, 09:01 pm »
hi there,

have any of u have the chance to compare the leben cs300 x(s) to the mastersound due venti? which one would make the best match with the super 6 alnico xrs?

i also can get my hands on a unison research simply 845 but maybe the newer ones are better suited? and of course the heat from the 845 tubes can be a concern in the summertime. 

ur opinions, pls. :D
« Last Edit: 17 May 2014, 12:00 am by Audiolad »

beowulf

Re: Tube amp for Omega.
« Reply #1 on: 17 May 2014, 05:32 am »
hi there,

have any of u have the chance to compare the leben cs300 x(s) to the mastersound due venti? which one would make the best match with the super 6 alnico xrs?

i also can get my hands on a unison research simply 845 but maybe the newer ones are better suited? and of course the heat from the 845 tubes can be a concern in the summertime. 

Sorry I can't help with those specific models, I can recommend Decware amps as a good match with Omega though!

Capt. Yossarian

« Reply #2 on: 17 May 2014, 05:36 am »
I bought Omega Super 3S speakers last fall, and a Dared 2A3C integrated amp to go with them. I find the combination to be absolutely magnificent -- plenty of detail, soundstage, etc. The sound is magical. BTW, my musical tastes are mostly classical, with jazz next, then 'world music' and classic rock.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 17 May 2014, 05:53 am »
Hello Audiolad, and welcome to the Omega AudioCircle.

To be frank, I believe there are better choices out there for the Super 6XRS (now called the Alnico XRS).  The Leben is overpriced in America by about double.  I have heard they sell for less than half the North American price over in Japan.  The other two are both parallel SETs (2 tubes per output) in order to get more power (when the XRS is happy with around three watts/ch). 

Generally the best type of SET is: Class A, zero negative feedback, single tube per output.  If you are looking at EL84, go with the Almarro A205A MKII SEP.  2A3, look at the Bottlehead Stereomour if you are into building. 6L6, EL34, the KTs, 6550, etc., look at the Audio Boutique Artist or Decware Rachel.  Nothing here over 8 w/ch and all less $ than the three you are looking at.  The Ideal Innovations Elite 80 push pull would be a nice match for the XRS too.  Canadian made for about a third of the Leben's price, and one of my personal favourites.

« Last Edit: 19 May 2014, 04:55 pm by Canada Rob »

jorgen

« Reply #4 on: 17 May 2014, 10:35 am »
Hey
When I went down the SEP and full range driver path I was a little worried about having enough power when needed. I can only support others here stating that low power tube amp will do the magic. I 've got a Decware miniTori amp 4.wpc and I have more than enough for 98% of my listening time. Sound is really nice with the Omega speakers. I have a 7" alnico driver . I really can't explain how satisfied I am. To get a better result I would say placement and room treatment is where there is potential. At least  if you compare cost up against result .
Decware amps are overbuild, heat is not a big issue with my MT (it's warm but I can hold my hand on it even after hours of use, lifetime warranty really says a lot.)

Good luck finding your amp!

ccklone

• The Only Good Head is a Deadhead
« Reply #5 on: 17 May 2014, 02:31 pm »
Hey Now,

I just got a pair of Super 3Ts and have been using a couple of tube amps with it. A Dynaco ST-70 (EL-34) with SS input, sounded very nice, but the Maggie 88-02 console pull using 6K6 tubes (aprrox. 10wpc) has blown me away, spending way too much time listening to my music library. I first tried the tube amps through my Parasound P3 pre, but just recently switched to using my BH Quickie pre and I must say, the imaging is to die for and the detail is just terrific. I also rotated in an Outlaw M8 subwoofer the other night and I think I could almost live without. It does fill in the lower end, but it seems now-a-days I am listening to more female vocals, Americana/acoustic strings and jazz and it doesn't seem to add that much more, the 3Ts do just fine by themselves.

I first tried the 3Ts with my B&K ST2140 balanced through the P3, the imaging was right on, but the detail retrieval was not there like with the ST-70 or Maggie 88-02.

I plan to build a BH Stereomour for the 3Ts. Haven't decided to build it as an integrated or line level amp. I have a pair of Monarchy SM-70 Pros due in today that I got for some KEF Reference speakers, but want to try it out on the 3Ts. It is going to be a fun weekend, just not going to get many chores done. Oh well.

Man, I just love my Omega Super 3Ts!

--
Finest kind,
Chris

Audiolad

« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2014, 11:07 pm »
thnx u all for good advice.  :)

yes, there are many good manufactures to choose from. let me  ask u straight out; which one of the mastersound due venti, leben cs-300 and the ur simply 845 would YOU pick and why?

Dave Jameson

« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2014, 03:22 am »
Hi Audiolad,

I have personal experience with many Mastersound amps and, while they are quite stunning sounding, I find them to be entirely unsuitable for single driver loudspeakers (or at least the ones I've tried). Maybe it's the dampening factor, I don't know, but I would go so far as to say Mastersound and Omega would be a bad combination.

I haven't heard a Leben amp with any Omega loudspeakers but I believe the consensus is that it's not a great match either.

A Unison Simply 845!!? Seriously?! What a great amp but perhaps overkill. The Unison Simply Italy is killer, though, and it has a switch so you can adjust the feedback, which is a handy feature with many speakers. How about the Unison Preludio?   

The boys here all seem to favour Decware which is a very simple circuit path and likely a perfect match...but difficult to audition, no? And dare I say it but there are some really nice solid state designs available right now! :)

Hope I've been of help!

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2014, 03:39 am »
Sophia Electric and Omega is a match for all of the right reasons.
My Sophia electric and my Omegas have taken me off of the system merry go round.

:thumb:

jorgen

« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2014, 07:09 am »
Hi
Dave: yes the decware amps might be a little difficult to audition, but keep in mind that they offer 30days full return policy so if it doesn't suit your needs there will not be any issue. I could recommend to take a look at the classifieds on the decware forum. You could get a used amp and save some money.
But of course there many options available. I have read recommondations for Red Wine Audio and Rega which is SS

Audiolad

« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2014, 09:15 am »
ok, i'll take ur advice regarding the mastersound very seriously, dave.
i can get a used simply 845 at a very good price so money is not an issue - actually cheaper than a new due venti or cs-300. it seems to tick many boxes: SET, no feed back, single tube per output and with 2x24w plenty of juice when needed. not sure about the dampening factor though. but i wonder why canada rob didn't mention the 845 tube. is it because they are not suitable with the omegas?

but please elaborate what u mean by "overkill". :-)

jorgen: decware is an interesting option, but i just don't want the hassle of returning them if not satisfied.

i also plan to get my hands on a pair of 8 alnico xrs later. i've compared them side by side. to my ears they provide more og the omega sound even though they are more demanding. but when clicked they are better than the 6 alnico xrs with a fuller sound, bigger soundstage and better bass while retain all the good virtues. so it's important that i now get the choice of amp right.
« Last Edit: 19 May 2014, 11:07 am by Audiolad »

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2014, 06:16 pm »
Audiolad,

I spoke to Louis today and he said he used to have a Leben CS-300 with Mullard tubes and found it to be one of the best matches he has ever heard with the Super 6XRS. 

According to Louis the 845 tube is only being made by one company in China and he does not recommend it.

The Audio Boutique Artist is a collaboration between myself and Sid Beaumont of Ideal Innovations.  In conceiving it I also got input from Louis, as my main goal was to have it work with speakers like the Omegas.  Among other amps, Louis uses The Artist for voicing his speakers so it is a no brainer if you want a good match.  It is the only amp I have heard that I personally like better than my Decware Super Zen Select.

I should have mentioned the Bottlehead Stereomour can be ordered built, so the building hurdle can be overcome for a few extra dollars.

Another American amplifier company that I have heard good things about is Quicksilver.

Audiolad

« Reply #12 on: 19 May 2014, 08:48 pm »
thx a bunch, canada rob  :)

sorry if i'm a bit slow, but is the 845 bad because it's made in china or because it doesn't fit with omega spkrs? i've had amps with the 845 tubes from china before and didn't have any issues with them and they sound very close to NOS 845.

too bad the Leben gives such a bad value in the US. i do like the retro look of it and the head phone possibility.

and please do tell me more 'bout your Decware Super Zen Select (price?) :)

300B...hm...maybe a cary cad-300sei fits the bill? (but of course would be something completely different from ie the unison simply 845).

another amp pop up in my mind is the ear yoshino v12 or even v20. any opinions regarding those two?

btw, i can get a red wine audio sig 30.2 dirt cheap, but it seems "out of date" in compare with rwa's new creations. I also happen to suspect it can't fully compete with glass when it comes down to musicality and inner detail...
« Last Edit: 19 May 2014, 10:53 pm by Audiolad »

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2014, 11:52 pm »
I haven't looked up prices on the amps you are discussing.  Worth considering are Dennis Had's Inpire single ended amps.  They range from $1000 - $1700.  He was the engineer/designer of the Cary tube amps for many years.  Now working independently.  I have his "KT150" amp and LP-2 preamp.  My Omegas should be here in about a week, so I can't yet comment on sound with them.  I'm impressed so far though.

There are color options, but I love my Jaguar Carnival Red!  :thumb:

Here's the main thread about them:
http://www.audioaficionado.org/cary-audio-design/24170-dennis-had-inspire-amps.html

Brad

« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2014, 12:22 am »
Thanks for the link.  I didn't know he was selling these.
Sounds like he's having a lot of fun.   :thumb:

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2014, 12:55 am »
I've not talked to him on the phone, but have emailed back and forth a lot.  To describe him as enthusiastic would undershoot it!

« Last Edit: 23 May 2014, 03:40 pm by pstrisik »

Audiolad

« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2014, 06:10 am »
those look amazing, pstrisik  :o

please report back when they've got some time with the omegas :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #17 on: 20 May 2014, 09:34 am »
hi there,

Hi Audiolad.
I will back up what beowulf said about the Decware,
because I have the SE84C+ model with a pair of Omega 7F in an Open Baffle dipole configuration
and after 40 years of searching, now I have found something that is good to my ears and to the ears of some visitors.
Plus, the el84 in SE Triode mode with only 2 wpc is enough to make me happy and the el84 cost between 12 USD to 35 USD that's a lot less than any 2A3, 211, 845, etc...
I highly recommend the Decware (With life time warranty) with any Omega speakers and Decware as a no risk trial period.

Guy 13

Audiolad

« Reply #18 on: 20 May 2014, 10:30 am »
thx, guy 13.

i've done some research and the SE84C+ seems to be a very good amp which punch above its weight. maybe i'll look into it when i get more efficient spkrs than 93db (wish i have space enough to accomodate the AG nano). or maybe i'll get one for those late night sessions... :D .

Guy 13

« Reply #19 on: 20 May 2014, 10:36 am »
thx, guy 13.

i've done some research and the SE84C+ seems to be a very good amp which punch above its weight. maybe i'll look into it when i get a more efficient spkr than 93db. or maybe i'll get one for those late night sessions... :D .

Hi Audiolad.
My Omega 7F are 93dB and my Decware is 2wpc.
Depending on the CD recording level,
it's plenty loud for my 12' X 24' listening room.
Of course, I can't get disco level,
but plenty loud for me, of course for the bass I get help from my sub-woofer.

If I may say, I think 4 wpc would be a little better
for some low level recorded CDs.

Guy 13