Capitol Audio Fest 2014

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: Capitol Audio Fest 2014
« Reply #40 on: 21 Jul 2014, 05:22 am »
Q. to the locals:

I have to ship some gear via SWA cargo...which one is easier to get to and more accessible from Silver Springs:  Dulles or RR airports ???

If it's Southwest Airlines Cargo, your going to have many more direct flights options between Indianapolis and Baltimore (BWI) than the Reagan (DCA).  I don't think SWA flies direct to Dulles (IAD) and it's just as far as BWI.  So would definitely do BWI or DCA.  DCA is the best as a passenger, but probably the most expensive.  The terminal is smaller / faster + you have metro right in front of the terminal that can take you to Silver Spring if you want it.  Taxi to Silver Spring is probably $30 from DCA (?).  Or let one of us locals know & maybe we can give you a lift if your flying in. 

Hope that helps. 

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #41 on: 21 Jul 2014, 05:24 am »
Klaus, Woodsyi, Leitroll, Mix4fix et al : think we should make a reservation for at least 8 at 7pm.  Should I handle it, or does someone else want to? 

PhilA : you coming this year?

Phil A

« Reply #42 on: 21 Jul 2014, 02:23 pm »

Jon - no.  More or less just goetting things in order.  Got my Odyssey Rack (probably around 350 lbs) about 6-7 weeks ago and sat until I got help to put it together a couple of weeks after that, put away the boxes of stuff and sold one thing and ordered another.  So I'm just about to the point where everything will be set up and cleaned up in a week or two.  Just not enough time to plan this time.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #43 on: 21 Jul 2014, 02:32 pm »
Klaus, Woodsyi, Leitroll, Mix4fix et al : think we should make a reservation for at least 8 at 7pm.  Should I handle it, or does someone else want to? 

Yes, seems like you've volunteered, lol.

oledude

« Reply #44 on: 21 Jul 2014, 03:08 pm »
Looks like I am going to make it to CAF. Perhaps if I hang in Klaus' rooms I can meet everyone along the way. Looking forward to hearing the new set ups, too Best
 Eric

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #45 on: 21 Jul 2014, 03:44 pm »
Yes, seems like you've volunteered, lol.

So I did! 

Pretty sure we'll be at least 8 between Klaus, Irina, Woodsyi, Mix4fix, you, me and perhaps Pansixt & Bunky (?). 

I could see it growing quite a bit more from there - but we can take it as it comes.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #46 on: 21 Jul 2014, 03:55 pm »
I will be there on Saturday for sure and maybe Sunday. Look forward to seeing everyone and meeting some new ACers. I'll be bringing some rock n roll tunes so I don't have to listen to jazz. :P

I may be able to join the group Saturday night. Will let you know for sure before the week is out.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #47 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:02 pm »
So I did! 

Pretty sure we'll be at least 8 between Klaus, Irina, Woodsyi, Mix4fix, you, me and perhaps Pansixt & Bunky (?). 

I could see it growing quite a bit more from there - but we can take it as it comes.

Thanks John,

Now we have to see if the Classics kept the same menu as Ray's with the big steaks. 8)

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #48 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:03 pm »
Jon - no.  More or less just goetting things in order.  Got my Odyssey Rack (probably around 350 lbs) about 6-7 weeks ago and sat until I got help to put it together a couple of weeks after that, put away the boxes of stuff and sold one thing and ordered another.  So I'm just about to the point where everything will be set up and cleaned up in a week or two.  Just not enough time to plan this time.

Are you completely moved and gone?

Phil A

« Reply #49 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:14 pm »
Are you completely moved and gone?

Some would argue I've been gone a long time :lol: :lol:  Actually moved whatever furniture was left just before the beginning of the year and was back and forth for brief periods to check on the VA house until it closed around the middle of February.  I took apart the main system in the beginning of November and moved some things myself around Thanksgiving and shipped other things via Fedex around the same time.  Left some items for the couple of trips I made back to VA and basically was just two car loads and also started to organize/unpack the stuff in FL.  First time in 36 years I've had a house with no basement so it took about two and half months just to get that organized.  The main system is more or less together (waiting on one thing) and most of the rest of the stuff is set up waiting for a tweak here or there.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #50 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:27 pm »
Is there a download for the rooms to help plan ahead for visiting rooms or just the list on the show site?

It's not that big, Pete.  You don't need a map - no separate wings.

I gather you are coming.  It will be good to see you.  I haven't seen you around in a couple of years. 
BTW, is it just Jim or is Mary coming?  My daughter wants to know.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #51 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:34 pm »
It's not that big, Pete.  You don't need a map - no separate wings.

I gather you are coming.  It will be good to see you.  I haven't seen you around in a couple of years. 
BTW, is it just Jim or is Mary coming?  My daughter wants to know.

She wasn't planing to attend but she may have changed her mind.  My wife and my daughter are coming so that may influence Mary to come a little, or she might need a weekend to herself.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #52 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:36 pm »
Thanks John,

Now we have to see if the Classics kept the same menu as Ray's with the big steaks. 8)

Definitely the same menu :

http://www.theclassicsdc.com/images/Dinner%20Menu%20%2012-30-13.pdf

Still can't decide between the cowboy cut, porterhouse, or strip steak....... :drool:

And even if Ray's no longer overseeing from afar, I'm expecting them to maintain the same standard.

Reservations open @ 2pm.  I foresee we're gonna have more than 8......but we can hopefully revise as necessary. If folks looking at this thread think they'll want to join in, please post it.

Phil : we'll keep a seat open in your honor - too bad you can't make it this year. 

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #53 on: 21 Jul 2014, 04:45 pm »
Definitely the same menu :

http://www.theclassicsdc.com/images/Dinner%20Menu%20%2012-30-13.pdf

Still can't decide between the cowboy cut, porterhouse, or strip steak....... :drool:

And even if Ray's no longer overseeing from afar, I'm expecting them to maintain the same standard.

Reservations open @ 2pm.  I foresee we're gonna have more than 8......but we can hopefully revise as necessary. If folks looking at this thread think they'll want to join in, please post it.

Phil : we'll keep a seat open in your honor - too bad you can't make it this year.

If you see Gordon Ramsey yelling, you know we are in trouble...

woodsyi

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 21 Jul 2014, 05:16 pm »
She wasn't planing to attend but she may have changed her mind.  My wife and my daughter are coming so that may influence Mary to come a little, or she might need a weekend to herself.

When are you coming in?  Maybe we can get together before the show.  When you do the Mall and the Smithsonians, take your meals at either the National Gallery or the Native American Museum.  Air and Space is Micky D and others aren't much to speak of.  I can tell you where all the good eats are in DC if you want to know.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #55 on: 21 Jul 2014, 06:15 pm »
When are you coming in?  Maybe we can get together before the show.  When you do the Mall and the Smithsonians, take your meals at either the National Gallery or the Native American Museum.  Air and Space is Micky D and others aren't much to speak of.  I can tell you where all the good eats are in DC if you want to know.

I'm just coming for the show, so Thursday night late and out on Sunday morning.  If we can do a drive by at the white house or something on Friday or Saturday that might be cool.

Q3Di

« Reply #56 on: 21 Jul 2014, 09:36 pm »
I never went to this show. Last year was the first time I heard about this show and I am local (Baltimore). I might get there this Sat or Sun.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #57 on: 22 Jul 2014, 01:51 am »
Folks - made a reservation for 8 at 8pm.  It was that or 6:30, and that seemed to soon for those wanting to go the raffle or who are working the show. 

At this point I'm assuming the following :

Klaus + Irina
Woodsyi
Mix4fix
Pansixt
Leitroll
Bunky
Myself

Maximum at one table is 12-14.  If anyone else wants to join this table / reservation, please let me know by this Thursday at the latest so I can modify the reservation.

dB Cooper

« Reply #58 on: 22 Jul 2014, 03:00 am »
I never went to this show. Last year was the first time I heard about this show and I am local (Baltimore). I might get there this Sat or Sun.
If you go on Sunday, go EARLY. Exhibitors want to get out of Dodge by then and many are starting to break down their setups by mid afternoon.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #59 on: 22 Jul 2014, 03:10 am »
Sad but true - official closing is at 4pm Sunday, and many are already packing before then and out the door by four. Otherwise Sunday and Friday are the better days to go to beat the crowds.  Sunday may be the best as some exhibitors have finally dialed in the sound by then.