Capitol Audio Fest 2014

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Capitol Audio Fest 2014
« on: 8 Dec 2013, 05:07 am »
http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/
July 25-27, 2014

Lunches & Dinners as usual (the diner, the steakhouse, etc...)

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Capitol Audio Fest 2014
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2013, 01:52 pm »
What happened to Mexican?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2013, 02:48 pm »
I'd like to go this year.  Is it crazy to try and do DC sightseeing at that time of year?

tonyptony

« Reply #3 on: 9 Dec 2013, 12:11 am »
I was thinking of going to CAF this coming year since it seems for 2014 the Chester Group has pretty much guaranteed the NYAS will be a bust.

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 9 Dec 2013, 12:38 am »
I'd like to go this year.  Is it crazy to try and do DC sightseeing at that time of year?

In July you will see tourists but not school tours.  So I'd think it would be decent.

dB Cooper

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2013, 01:09 am »
As long as hot and muggy doesn't bother you.

I will be there nerding out on audio gear again.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 29 Mar 2014, 04:30 pm »
Got my email notice on March 14, you can hear the crickets on the MAAC lately.  Something about a CanMania room, sounds interesting.

bunky

« Reply #7 on: 29 Mar 2014, 08:56 pm »
I will be there for the Audio fest and I look forward to getting a prime rib eye steak at Rays afterward :drool:

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jun 2014, 10:30 pm »
I will be there for the Audio fest and I look forward to getting a prime rib eye steak at Rays afterward :drool:

Should we do it on Sunday again or have it on Friday or Saturday?

Lunch will be generally be at that café unless there is interest for most any chain bar-n-grill since they usually have lunch specials.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #9 on: 10 Jul 2014, 10:27 pm »
My guess is that most would look at Saturday as the best night to get together.  Just around the corner now, the excitement builds.

dB Cooper

« Reply #10 on: 11 Jul 2014, 01:05 am »
Vinyl spinners in town for the show should check out Joe's Record Paradise five blocks up the street from the Sheraton on Georgia Ave. I have no "skin in the game" making this recommendation (don't even have a TT actually) but know of this old-school record store run by a real good dude. I'm sure he'd like the biz and you never know what you might find. www.joesrecordparadise.com

PS, there is another record shop called The Record Exchange that I can't vouch for, never having been there, but since they are literally right across the street from Joe's, check them out too.

SeaNile

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jul 2014, 02:31 am »
Never been to one of these shows before. Since I'm interested in buying speakers, amp, processor is it worth it for me to attend?  Can I buy at this venue? Are the deals better than the usual shopping around?

Leaning towards Focal 1038 be2 or Ariel T7. Would like to hear a few more options in the 7-10k range.

Thanks.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2014, 03:52 am »
Vinyl spinners in town for the show should check out Joe's Record Paradise five blocks up the street from the Sheraton on Georgia Ave. I have no "skin in the game" making this recommendation (don't even have a TT actually) but know of this old-school record store run by a real good dude. I'm sure he'd like the biz and you never know what you might find. www.joesrecordparadise.com

PS, there is another record shop called The Record Exchange that I can't vouch for, never having been there, but since they are literally right across the street from Joe's, check them out too.

Joe's is a good store. I've shopped there several times when in DC on business. I almost always find something. Large inventory too. I have not been to the record exchange.

vinyl_lady

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jul 2014, 03:55 am »
Never been to one of these shows before. Since I'm interested in buying speakers, amp, processor is it worth it for me to attend?  Can I buy at this venue? Are the deals better than the usual shopping around?

Leaning towards Focal 1038 be2 or Ariel T7. Would like to hear a few more options in the 7-10k range.

Thanks.

Check out the Daedalus Audio speakers. Lou will have different models in two rooms with ModWright electronics.

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jul 2014, 10:20 am »

Thanks.

The deal(s), you'll have to ask, a lot of vendors have "show specials" because they'd be delighted for a customer to relieve them of the burden of taking the equipment home (and make a few shekels along the way; the name of the game). Win-win.

SeaNile, at your specified budget, agree with vinyl lady, make sure to hear the Daedalus speaks. Salk too.

dB Cooper

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jul 2014, 10:24 am »
Joe's is a good store. I've shopped there several times when in DC on business. I almost always find something. Large inventory too. I have not been to the record exchange.

I havent either and only learned of them after looking up Joe's on the map. They're literally across the street from one another. Wonder how that works out. Whoever moved in 2nd had some nerve.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #16 on: 11 Jul 2014, 11:18 pm »
The deal(s), you'll have to ask, a lot of vendors have "show specials" because they'd be delighted for a customer to relieve them of the burden of taking the equipment home (and make a few shekels along the way; the name of the game). Win-win.

SeaNile, at your specified budget, agree with vinyl lady, make sure to hear the Daedalus speaks. Salk too.

I'd add DeVORE and Joseph Audio to the excellent suggestions above.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jul 2014, 07:39 am »
Odyssey

Soundfield

Salk

Philharmonic

GT Audio Works

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jul 2014, 01:42 pm »
FYI...The exhibitors list for this years CAF lists me as an exhibitor in Rm 817.
While Triode Pete and Charlie from Rollo Audio will be there, I will not.
I believe the listing was never updated from 2013.
For those going to CAF and are interested in listening the latest GT Audio Works speaker follow the link to this thread
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=127315.new#new
                                                                                                    Greg
« Last Edit: 13 Jul 2014, 04:05 pm by GT Audio Works »

dB Cooper

« Reply #19 on: 13 Jul 2014, 03:35 am »
That's distressing. An inaccurate list helps no one, especially those going to see a particular mfr and they're not there? That would be enough to piss a person off.

Sorry to hear no GT... hopefully too busy getting out orders.