Which of these would you get?

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #20 on: 21 Jul 2004, 07:16 am »
Quote from: AintJoM0mma
If I get the Spendor S8 the sensitivity is 89 db. Think the Jolida can handle that?
I would say yes...but in the Audiogon ad , the seller states "a very warm and engaging speaker"....thought you wanted dynamics and forward sound...not warm and lush..... :?

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #21 on: 21 Jul 2004, 07:19 am »
ahhhhh the ad dosent know anything, its marketing. lol. Spendor would have a LOT more quality..True?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #22 on: 21 Jul 2004, 07:24 am »
ahhhhh the ad dosent know anything, its marketing. lol. Spendor would have a LOT more quality..True?
Why not give both speakers a listen ?? Can you do that ??
    This may be of interest to you. This AC member, Merle, has or had a Jolida, these were the speakers he bought....  
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=9242[/list:u]

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #23 on: 21 Jul 2004, 07:38 am »
Hey what about totem staffs?

lonewolfny42

« Reply #24 on: 21 Jul 2004, 07:42 am »
Hey what about totem staffs?
Totem makes a fine speaker....can you listen to one ?? :roll:

AintJoM0mma

« Reply #25 on: 21 Jul 2004, 07:45 am »
Ok let me just drive out a 3:44 AM and listen to some.  :roll: lol

lonewolfny42

« Reply #26 on: 21 Jul 2004, 07:49 am »
Ok let me just drive out a 3:44 AM and listen to some.  :roll: lol
The "listening part" of your statement sounds like a good idea..... :hyper:

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #27 on: 21 Jul 2004, 08:17 am »
Okay, so who's on first?   :banghead:  :P

BeeBop

« Reply #28 on: 21 Jul 2004, 12:40 pm »
Why not go out and buy some Bose speakers?

Carlman

« Reply #29 on: 21 Jul 2004, 01:38 pm »
Geez Loweez.. 'AintJoMomma' is definitely not a 'Momma' since he needs so much mothering..  :lol:

What you're asking is similar to me saying... I want a car that has a manual transmission, leather, comfortably seats 4, is best for the money, has great power, and is fun to drive.  Now, tell me which I should buy.. and make it snappy. ;)

I mean this as a small jab to snap things into reality.  No one on AC owes anyone a recommendation.  I don't like seeing people over-using someone's generosity of advice.  And this is the case here.  

Take the advice and use it.  Yes, please go drive to a hifi store, break-in after hours if you have to, and LISTEN to some speakers.  

No one can tell you what will sound best to you but you.  It's not a cop-out, it's the reality of hearing.  What sounds 'lively and forward' to me may sound harsh or bright to you....

lonewolfny42

« Reply #30 on: 21 Jul 2004, 02:45 pm »
Quote from: Carlman

I want a car that has a manual transmission, leather, comfortably seats 4, is best for the money, has great power, and is fun to drive.  Now, tell me which I should buy.. and make it snappy. ;)

Carl, Can you take a test drive........................... :jester:

Carlman

« Reply #31 on: 21 Jul 2004, 03:18 pm »
As a matter of fact I CAN go for a test drive! ...and I'd enjoy the experience as much or more than the actual purchase!

I wouldn't want to shorten 'the chase' process.... :)

Zero

« Reply #32 on: 21 Jul 2004, 03:20 pm »
Purchasing a speaker or a complete system based on experience? Are you kidding me, this the new age old timers, we dont have time to use our ears.!

Get the Spendors, be happy and merry.

That or you could stick to the Klipsch you have been so desperately pining for.

You dont even have fuzz around your 'wang yet, but eventually you will have a decent audio system.  What you settle with, well thats more like spinning the globe around, landing your finger in some remote location (even if its the sea) and traveling there for your next get-away.

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
« Reply #33 on: 21 Jul 2004, 04:01 pm »
Quote from: Carlman
Geez Loweez.. 'AintJoMomma' is definitely not a 'Momma' since he needs so much mothering..  :lol:

What you're asking is similar to me saying... I want a car that has a manual transmission, leather, comfortably seats 4, is best for the money, has great power, and is fun to drive.  Now, tell me which I should buy.. and make it snappy. ;)

I mean this as a small jab to snap things into reality.  No one on AC owes anyone a recommendation.  I don't like seeing people over-using someone's generosity of advi ...

This is absolutely the truth! :!:

My mom loves music and has a great setup she bought in college back in the 70's... but she hates high frequency information as it actually hurts her ears so she turns down the treble quite a bit (that was quite a run on sentance).  

Oddly enough I like high frequency info and when I got home to visit, I have to turn the treble up on her stereo to "enjoy" music.

Carlman is very correct in saying that one man's treasure is another man's trash (as in you might hear a speaker I like and not like it at all).

BUT if you need my vote; get a smaller 2-way speaker and a pair of small subs for that size of room.  Acoustic room treatments won't fix everything.

ABEX

« Reply #34 on: 21 Jul 2004, 04:31 pm »
Those who have given the advice on using 2-way monitors instead of 3-way floorstanders are correct unless you plan on moving into a bigger space.

My room\space is bigger than yours and I need more room for my 3-ways to perform their best I feel.

The PSB's I have listened to and liked. I have speakers which competed with them in reviews. You should like  them,but I would bet the SPendors would be better them them now.  

Good Luck!

Mike 1167

« Reply #35 on: 1 Sep 2004, 01:33 am »
Quote from: ABEX
The PSB's I have listened to and liked. I have speakers which competed with them in reviews. You should like  them,but I would bet the SPendors would be better them them now.
i've owned PSB Bronze and based on the possibility of a family resemblance, I'd take the Spendors as well.

But then again I'd probably take the leaner/cooler-sounding-French-91.5 dB speakers with 50 tube watts over the more neutral sounding 88dB British speakers.

But that's just me.  :D