MAAC Meet September

Phil A

MAAC Meet September
« on: 18 Jun 2013, 07:55 pm »
All, I won't have the special napkins like Jon :green: , but taking feelers for what the majority deem as a good date.  For me, I can make the 14th, 21st or 28th of September work (although the 21st and 28th are a hair easier).  Will start it at 2:00 like Jon and have stuff to snack on and for those allowed (or wanting to go AWOL from their significant other) to stay until dinner or beyond, if anyone wants to stay, I'm happy to order Pizza and continue the PAF (Phil's Audio Fest).  I've downgraded the basement system since the last time (got rid of the outboard DAC as I'm getting rid of stuff for the upcoming move, but who knows, maybe I'll get something small such as the Teac DSD DAC or win the Benchmark at the CAF) upgraded the main system since the last time with HAL's MS-2 music server as a source and a Meitner MA-1 DSD DAC.  We won't bore anyone with the bedroom or office systems. 

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: MAAC Meet September
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2013, 08:11 pm »
Phil,
Any of those September dates are good for me and 21 or 28 are the better ones.

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2013, 08:57 pm »
Phil,
The 21st and 28th work best for me.

But, as a condition of my attending, I insist on more special napkins, not to mention more lawyer jokes.

Rich

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2013, 09:06 pm »
Phil,
The 21st and 28th work best for me.

But, as a condition of my attending, I insist on more special napkins, not to mention more lawyer jokes.

Rich

Rich, fine.  I'll do my best to take care of it :green:  However, for your get together, I'm going to expect the same - or as you people call it - subrogation :lol:

DTB300

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2013, 03:09 pm »
Probably the 21st and 28th for me.....

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 1 Aug 2013, 02:33 am »
Ok - let's shoot for the 21st of September, unless there are objections and more people can attend for the other date.  Since the last meet, in the main system I've gotten rid of the Bryston DAC and have a Meitner MA-1.  At the last one HAL generously brought over MS-1s (upstairs and downstairs) and it twisted my arm to do an MS-2 which is now in my system.  He also help me hack my PS3 so I can rip SACDs.  I have to re-extract the DSD classical files from DFF to DSF (for easier tagging but can still be played and I probably won't get to it until after the move) but re-did all the non-classical ones and also have all my CDs ripped to FLAC.  So there's all sorts of things.  In the basement system, while I wasn't planning to buy anything else until after my move, I had my arm twisted at the Capital Audiofest and got an Odyssey Candela tube linestage.  I ordered Synergy HiFi tubes which hopefully will be here next week and shortly after that the Teac DSD DAC (I had the Emotiva).  So they should be broken in by then.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
« Reply #6 on: 1 Aug 2013, 03:51 am »
Ok - let's shoot for the 21st of September, unless there are objections and more people can attend for the other date.

Hold off. I'm waiting for time-off confirmation from work.

Phil A

« Reply #7 on: 1 Aug 2013, 04:10 am »
Majority will rule as usual.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #8 on: 1 Aug 2013, 05:48 am »
14th would be potentially better for me, but I think I can make the 21st.

A teac / meitner dsd shoot out would be interesting.

Will have to stock up on the lawyer jokes, as for the special napkins : got plenty of those left I can bring along! 

PS - rwasserstrom -didn't see you at the show - did you go?  After the robyatt room + ijaz khan "after party" I am now convinced I must have a pair of ESL 57's in my attic!  Even have a low power hybrid tube integrated amp that would make an interesting combo.

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2013, 10:52 am »
I saw Rich at the show.  In honor of his 70th, they got him a special hearing aid and cart to go to vendor rooms

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2013, 01:58 pm »
14th or 28th for me.  I am out 21st.  I got sucked into season tix for college football this year. 

Phil A

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2013, 02:23 pm »
I can't do the 14th at this point.  Will be in FL just before that (and based on the input I received after the initial post I worked my schedule around everyone's preference for the 21st or 28th).  Since most responded they can do the  21st or 28th, let's just make it the 28th.  With Rich's get together in the beginning of November that works out fine.  So far people who have indicaed the 28th is OK

Woodsyi
HAL
DTB300
r.wasserstrom

I know some work on Saturdays and need advance notice and this is the best we can do to get the most participation and give them as much advance notice as possible by firming up the date over a month before the get together so they have time to work around/request time off.  I noted last year when I had a get together that these things tend to fall apart without firming up dates.  It does mean that it may not fit everyone's schedule.  I did not go to the Mini CAF at Gary Gill's as he indicated he had limited space (and I did not want to take someone's spot who could make it) and I was not sure if I would be in FL and it turned out I was there the week before.

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2013, 03:42 pm »
I had hoped to get back out to sea by the 28th but might make an exception for you mugs, argh.

Btw Gary's shindig was packed but there was always room for more as people came and went. Hope he does something similar in the future.

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2013, 08:34 pm »
I saw Rich at the show.  In honor of his 70th, they got him a special hearing aid and cart to go to vendor rooms

What ever happened to showing respect for one's elders?  If you keep this up I will have to beat you with my walker.   :lol:

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2013, 08:40 pm »

Will have to stock up on the lawyer jokes, as for the special napkins : got plenty of those left I can bring along! 

PS - rwasserstrom -didn't see you at the show - did you go?  After the robyatt room + ijaz khan "after party" I am now convinced I must have a pair of ESL 57's in my attic!  Even have a low power hybrid tube integrated amp that would make an interesting combo.

Et tu, Jon?  Phil is a bad influence.
Glad to hear that you liked the Quads at the show.  I spend more time with them than any other room.  I met Kent McCollum of Electrostatic Solutions who rebuilt the Quad 63s at the show.  I am thinking of having him rebuild my 57's.

Scottdazzle

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2013, 09:25 pm »
Either date looks good to me.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 2 Aug 2013, 02:11 am »
September 21

Phil A

« Reply #17 on: 2 Aug 2013, 02:28 am »
So far we have the following for Sept. 28

Woodsyi
HAL
DTB300
r.wasserstrom
Scottdazzle

The following for Sept. 21
mix4fix

Not sure??
jarcher

mix4fix

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 2 Aug 2013, 05:16 am »
So far we have the following for Sept. 28

Woodsyi
HAL
DTB300
r.wasserstrom
Scottdazzle

The following for Sept. 21
mix4fix

Not sure??
jarcher

No, most of them said either day.

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 2 Aug 2013, 12:36 pm »
Yes, but we are trying to get the maximum participation with people responding as to what they can and can't do, otherwise these things don't happen.  A response of "Hold off. I'm waiting for time-off confirmation from work" (when I proposed the 21st) leaves everyone hanging vs. "14th or 28th for me.  I am out 21st.  I got sucked into season tix for college football this year." which positively gives the dates available or not available.  I am still open to the majority ruling.  However, based on the positive responses received first, it is the 28th.  It's not about one person's preference or schedule.  I did not intend to buy a preamp for a secondary system at the Capital Audiofest but intended to narrow down things.  If I respond second to yes I'll take unit, it won't be available, that's just the way the world works. Rim's get together is scheduled for the 24th of August.  Before that date will do another roll call and finalize the date and whichever date has the most participation is fine.