Testing a Koetsu Rosewood Cartridge loaned to me by a great friend...

timosmith

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
I was wondering what the growl at 0:59 was, until the end of the video, explained.   :lol:

We were talking about translating the sound of different cartridges to digital rips and if it degraded the sound.  Yes it does, but if you had a couple of carts you were comparing in the same room recorded in the same way, you could easily hear the difference.  So yes, I can hear how smooth and sweet the Koetsu is, to a degree, a flavoring of the real thing, it would stand out more if you had a Dynavector or something to compare it to.

Sorry for the late approval, you missed my leaving for work deadline by 21 minutes.  This will be the last post you'll have needed to be approved, just an anti-spamming measure JohnR had to put in.  Hope to see more of you around here Tim, very nice rig.

timosmith

Thanks. I concur with everything your saying. I can't help but wonder if its all the non-tangible qualities of the koetsu that contributes to its musicality, and if I played a different cart it might sound more etched by comparison. I told Rim I'm interested in hosting a little listening session for 7-8 people who would be interested in listening to my modest system..maybe in April timeframe on a Saturday.

jimdgoulding

Times, your system isn't modest, you are.  Wilson Sophia's, MacIntosh, a Rosewood, et al.  Nice stuff, sir

timosmith

Thanks for saying that Jim.  I guess it's all relative...I was at JS Audio in Bethesda the other day and they had some Wilson Audio Alexia's paired up with D'Agostino mono blocks.  Compared to that...well.  Hopefully you can come over for a listen when I host a little shindig and tell me what you think in person.  :D

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Yours sounds great, Tim.  In fact, it's one of the better set up for Wilson Sophias I have heard.  MacIntosh makes your system much more enjoyable than some other setups that I have heard with the Sophias -- none of the piercing highs that tire you out.  Some of the shortcomings like little boominess and imaging stem from room and there isn't a whole lot you can do.  I don't think Sue will like putting up bass traps and putting up absorption on early reflection points.  It's damn enjoyable as is. 

I am glad you are liking the Rosewood.  Some don't hear it but I am one who is bewitched by the Koetsu magic. :singing: