Does Bute salvage his career and honor?

django11

• Canuckistani
Does Bute salvage his career and honor?
« on: 3 Nov 2012, 01:43 pm »
I have followed all of Bute's career and really like him both as a boxer and a person.  I was shocked at his loss to Froch.  He was devastated.  Tonight he is taking on a guy who KOed a very well regarded contender in his last fight.  The opponent , Denis Grachev, isn't that impressive on paper with a record of with 12 wins (8ko), 0 defeats and one draw but he is a former kickboxing world champion and is coming off of an impressive victory.  I think he will be a very stern test of Bute's mental state if not his boxing ability.  If Bute doesn't win tonight he is finished.  Hardly any pressure there...  I will be on the edge of my seat...

Call me crazy but I still think that Bute can beat Froch if he fights the right fight.  He shouldn't have gone to the ropes with Froch and he absolutely shouldn't have tried trading bombs with him.  I think it could be like the difference between the first and second fight between Leonard and Duran...

fredgarvin

Re: Does Bute salvage his career and honor?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2012, 07:15 pm »
He looked good last night, I think he pointed out and exploited Drago's weaknesses very well. I heard rumors of him fighting Pavlik before a Froch rematch. That would make a good fight imo.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2012, 07:47 pm »
He was very tentative through most of the fight in my opinion.  In the 12th he got his mojo back.  I would certainly like to see him fight once more before getting back in the ring with Froch.

What I heard is Ward is getting Pavlik and Bute is against Froch.  The winner of Froch-Bute gets Ward, the loser gets Pavlik (as no one thinks Pavlik beats Ward).

fredgarvin

« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2012, 06:02 pm »
Yeah, Froch and Bute are signed for a March rematch.

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 6 Nov 2012, 06:48 pm »
I don't know that Bute's loss to Froch, a high quality fighter, necessarily was career-threatening or dishonorable, although few foresaw him getting dominated the way he did. Could be a styles-make-fights thing.
But I tend to agree with django that he would do a lot better with a different strategy.

If an almost 50 year old Hopkins could school Pavlik, a twentysomething Ward should be able to do the same even if Pavlik has improved substantially (a big if, considering his inactivity.)

fredgarvin

« Reply #5 on: 6 Nov 2012, 08:10 pm »
I think Hopkins would have 'schooled' Ward too on that night. Even so, I too think Ward is not a good match for Pavlik style wise. I think he would be better matched against Bute. But, Ward is a shot at the title. Ward has some of the attributes of Sergio Martinez and better punching power, a lot for Pavlik to overcome considering his inactivity.

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #6 on: 7 Nov 2012, 12:42 am »
Bute felt humiliated by the way he lost and it shook his confidence badly.  If Grachev had managed to do the same... Add to that his many critics who said he hadn't fought anyone of note and was always protected by home judges.  And he just didn't look like he belonged in the same ring as Froch.

Pavlik is really good when he has someone standing in front of him willing to trade.  That will not be the case with Ward.  And I am not sure he can force Bute to the ropes and tee off on him like Froch and, to a lesser extent, Grachev did.  Pavlik doesn't have Froch's or Grachev's granite chin.  I like Bute in that one.

I hope for Pavlik that he doesn't end up getting a fight with Froch.  That one would be entertaining while it lasted...