Getting to be time for some Football?

jimdgoulding

Getting to be time for some Football?
« on: 26 Aug 2012, 08:42 pm »
Watching Denver and SF today, Sunday the 26th.  First quarter, Manning looks stupendous, but SF is a contender this year.  Not looking so sharp at the moment, tho.  Do I have this right?  First matchup in the NFC East is the Giants vs. the Cowboys?  Wow.  Haven't heard beans about the Cowboys where I'm at, but I gotta believe the stakes are very high for their QB and coach this year.  What are you forecasting for your teams this season?

rodge827

Re: Getting to be time for some Football?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2012, 12:10 pm »
Hopefully a better season than last year.
My Iggles started bad and gained some momentum in the second half of the season.
Too little too late!

Fly Eagles Fly on the Road to Victory...E-A-G-L-E-S...IGGLES!!!

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2012, 02:05 pm »
...  Do I have this right?  First matchup in the NFC East is the Giants vs. the Cowboys?  Wow.  Haven't heard beans about the Cowboys where I'm at, but I gotta believe the stakes are very high for their QB and coach this year.  What are you forecasting for your teams this season?

Yep.  You can definitely tell that Robin is still restricted, but I'll try to answer until he reappears.  Neither Garrett nor Romo are on the hot seat this season as the fans and the owner actually have faith that the culture for the team is turning around for the better.  Dallas is probably an 8-8 or 9-7 team this year, improved but with a tougher schedule.  The end of the season is mostly against playoff teams.  The weakness of the team is the offensive line, with mediocre guards, below ave. center, an strong tackles.  The defense, a weakness last year, should be much improved with some high dollar upgrades.  They should be on par with the rest of the division, and whether they split with the Giants/Beagles/ Redskins will probably come down to who makes the finishing 4th quarter drive in most of those 6 games.  Non divison games include Seattle, Chicago, Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinatti, Pittsburg, New Orleans, and Baltimore.  The only weak teams are Cleveland an Tampa Bay.  You know, after typing that, I'd say 8-8 with 10-6 as a high and 5-11 as a low. 

Scott 

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2012, 03:02 pm »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2012, 04:54 pm »
Yep.  You can definitely tell that Robin is still restricted, but I'll try to answer until he reappears.  Neither Garrett nor Romo are on the hot seat this season as the fans and the owner actually have faith that the culture for the team is turning around for the better.  Dallas is probably an 8-8 or 9-7 team this year, improved but with a tougher schedule.  The end of the season is mostly against playoff teams.  The weakness of the team is the offensive line, with mediocre guards, below ave. center, an strong tackles.  The defense, a weakness last year, should be much improved with some high dollar upgrades.  They should be on par with the rest of the division, and whether they split with the Giants/Beagles/ Redskins will probably come down to who makes the finishing 4th quarter drive in most of those 6 games.  Non divison games include Seattle, Chicago, Carolina, Atlanta, Cincinatti, Pittsburg, New Orleans, and Baltimore.  The only weak teams are Cleveland an Tampa Bay.  You know, after typing that, I'd say 8-8 with 10-6 as a high and 5-11 as a low. 

Scott

Thanks for the heads up Scott! :thumb: Dallas looks good in preseason but that doesn't mean squat. The 1st game, Dallas @ NY Giants this Wednesday night, Sept 5 will tell the story of what to expect.  :o

Also, there's Thursday night football on the NFL Network for the whole season this year! How sweet is that!  :hyper:

It's great to be back here for some football (to help me forget about the subpar Red Sox season).  8)

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2012, 04:57 pm »
Thanks for the heads up Scott! :thumb: Dallas looks good in preseason but that doesn't mean squat. The 1st game, Dallas @ NY Giants this Wednesday night, Sept 5 will tell the story of what to expect.  :o

Also, there's Thursday night football on the NFL Network for the whole season this year! How sweet is that!  :hyper:

It's great to be back here for some football (to help me forget about the subpar Red Sox season).  8)

Cheers,
Robin
Robin is in the house, fellas!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:  And ladies.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2012, 12:18 am »
It certainly is time for some NFL football.  :thumb:

I look forward to all of it; even given how bad the Saints may perform, now that they have to 'hide' their latest bounty program.  :lol:

I do look forward to Jerry Jones' tantums, as well.  :P (Welcome back, Robin!)

My pick for the whole enchilada is the 49'ers.

Go Saints,

Jerry

jimdgoulding

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2012, 01:16 am »
Don't think the Saints will be embarrassed this year, Jerry.  They are fundamentally a good team, with a great QB, and have pride.  After all the scandal broke, I recalled how the Saints' defense absolutely pounded Brett Farve AND Kurt Warner in their last two games.  Never seen those two QB's hit harder or more often.  If there was a bounty at stake in those years, shame on the participants.  I'm thinking the Saints might even repeat.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2012, 03:43 am »
That's right!  That's right!  The Cowboys whupped dem Giants.  In New Yawk!  And I thought they might.  Yes, I did.  Jumpin Jerry spent some long dough in the off season (I think he has more than anybody) to improve his defensive backs.  Romo showed some good accuracy, but the guy still makes me nervous as in giving the refs a delay of game call.  New York won the Superbowl but does anyone think they are that good?  I even picked em, but don't.  Manning is amazing, however. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2012, 04:08 am »
Romo was ducking and dodging all night, but he pulled out enough big plays to take the win.  However, if Dallas doesn't figure out some way to improve that O line, I give Romo 6 games until someone stoves in about 4 ribs.  As for the Giants, they are still an unbalanced offense with a great D line.
 You could tell tonight that their secondary was as bad as Dallas' offensive line.  I still can't believe that Dallas won with a center that was on the street a couple of days ago. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2012, 04:36 am »
Manning is amazing, however,

his receivers constantly let him down with dropped passes. Still Tony Romo had the game of his life in New York tonight. Great way to start the season but until he can play that way in December, the jury will always be out for him. He's dug that hole for himself throughout his career, only he (with a little help from his friends) can change that. Just maybe this will be the year,,,, just maybe (pleeeeeease).  :lol:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #11 on: 6 Sep 2012, 06:00 am »
Hey Jerry, one sports writer I heard online tonite is pickin the Saints all the way.  Well, the SB is in New Orleans next year and they may have even more incentive than any NFC team with all the crap the WHOLE team has had to take.  They might be inspired, yo.  One of the same group of writer's picked Houston for the AFC.  I'm hoping they can stay healthy enough.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #12 on: 7 Sep 2012, 02:17 pm »
Ouuu, San Francisco at Green Bay on Sunday.  Two teams we are likely to see in the playoffs.  Skip Bayless on ESPN is picking SF.  Should be a very good game.  Good and tough.

Ouuu,  Denver has Pittsburg at home.  Denver.  Manning.

jackman

« Reply #13 on: 7 Sep 2012, 03:18 pm »
Hey Guys,

I can't believe we are talking football already.  Finally!  A couple thoughts from this Bears' fan.  I think the Bears will have the best offense they have had in a generation.  Cutler looks sharp and he finally has some people to throw the ball to.  If Marshall can stay out of trouble and Jay can stay healthy, we should be in good shape on this side of the ball.  The defense is another story...getting long in the tooth and nagging injuries to key players.  Urlacher is the biggest question mark but Peppers is no spring chicken and Briggs is on the downward slope.  Hopefully the defense has enough tread on the tires to keep this relatively high powered offense in games. 

Also, regarding New Orleans.  I've always been a fan of the city, the Saints, their coaching and Drew Brees, but I think the NFL was too easy on them.  I recall when the Saints played the Bears last year, someone stepped on Cutler's throat and he was nearly unable to speak after the game.  In light of the "bountygate" situation, I'm starting to question if the incident was accidental.  For this reason, I am hoping the Saints lose every game and that Brees gets a taste of the medicine the Saints dished out last year.  Football is a rough sport but there is no place for what the Saints did last year.  I have no choice but to add them to my list of teams to root against (which includes the Cowboys, Broncos and Patriots). 

Cheers! 

J

Oh...Go Bears!

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 7 Sep 2012, 03:47 pm »
My Seahawks are looking really tough this season. Bout time.

jackman

« Reply #15 on: 7 Sep 2012, 07:16 pm »
Season hasn't started yet and the Seahawks have a  rookie QB starting.  At least they are starting the season against Arizona, one of the worst teams in football (at least one of the worst looking ones I've seen this year).  They should win that game but things get very UGLY quick for the Seahawks.  They play at Dallas the next week and have the Packers, New England, 49ers, Carolina and Detroit (at Detroit).   They could be 3-7 or 4-6 at the bye week. 

Thankfully, they play St. Louis and the Rams twice (each) this year and they play the hapless Vikings and Miami.  If they beat these bad teams, they could salvage this season but it looks like this could be a tough year for Seattle. 

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 7 Sep 2012, 07:18 pm »
 I know, believe me, I know. And they always do ok in the preseason.. But there's something in the air this year... We'll see.

soundbitten1

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #19 on: 7 Sep 2012, 08:41 pm »
Pats vs 49ers in the Superbowl. You heard it here first.

Doc