Hello from Southwest VA

wes_in_va

Hello from Southwest VA
« on: 1 Aug 2012, 10:52 pm »
Just a quick not of introduction...
I'm quite new to audio as a hobby. It started a few months ago when my old mid-90's Kenwood receiver died. I started looking at replacing it and decided to look into vintage equipment. I found an old silver face Technics...and that got me looking at vintage speakers (the first were a pair of Sansui SP-X800's--Kabuki at it's finest).
From there it really took hold.

Now my main system consists of:
NAD C541>Camelot Arthur V3 mkII>Audible Illusions Modulus IIb>Legacy 432>Monitor Audio RX8's

I have another system in my mancave/listening room that varies more, but mostly I'm concentrating on building a nice vintage tube system down there.
As you can see I've jumped in with both feet!

I've started really enjoying some DIY (mainly making my own cables for now) and that's why I'm joining up here: I want to keep learning.

Anyway, "hi"

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Hello from Southwest VA
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:07 am »
Hey, welcome wes_in_va!  Sorry for the delay in putting your post up, you have to get one more in then you won't need admin approval.  Just a block against bots and spammers.  Looks like an awesome system for just starting out, I'd say you've done well.

pansixt

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:16 am »
Where is southwest VA?
Some of us are up here in the big shitty (City), D.C. area?
James

pansixt

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:21 am »
Dan,
I thought I was a full member.
How, all the sudden my posts have JR?

John R., You don't trust me?
James

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:34 am »
I don't know, but prolly something to do with the site migration, looks like your post count went down.  I really don't pay attention to things like post counts and titles, but it seems like you were higher, yes, no?  No idea what my count was or has been, so nothing to compare it with.  John put a post up in Notices that there could be some wacky things happening and if it seems important post a note on that thread.  As this stuff is very typical in site migration I wouldn't worry about it.

All very off topic one would think for the OP, but a good notice for him on what's going on around here very soon.

pansixt

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2012, 03:52 am »
Prolly, (not your best journalistic vernacular),

Just playing Dan. And John R (Big Guy).
I am just a meager Jr. member and user of this forum and am happy with any status. 8) 8) 8)

Back to Wes in Va.:
Howdy Wes.

Great people here and someone can answer any question you have, or can point you in the appropriate direction.

Don't hesitate to ask.

James

r.wasserstrom

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2012, 08:23 pm »
Hi Wes,
Have you considered a vintage Scott tube amp for your mancave system?  Something from the 299 series may fill the bill.
Rich

wes_in_va

« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2012, 10:07 pm »
Where is southwest VA?
Some of us are up here in the big shitty (City), D.C. area?
James

I'm in Roanoke. Love it here. You'd be hard pressed to get me to leave!

wes_in_va

« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2012, 10:09 pm »
Hi Wes,
Have you considered a vintage Scott tube amp for your mancave system?  Something from the 299 series may fill the bill.
Rich

Right now I'm running Eico HF20's as monoblock power amps. I have a Yamaha C85 as my pre at the moment, but I'm rehabbing a Dynaco PAS3 that will replace the Yammie as soon as it's up and running. can't wait for that!

Howard Swayne

« Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2012, 06:42 pm »
Hi Wes,
Rich

Or a Fisher 500. I have one in my living room and believe me it is truly budget REFERENCE. Add that to a set of vintage horns and youve got one heck of a system.