SP Tech at Chicago Audio Society - June 27th

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
« on: 27 May 2004, 04:33 pm »
Everyone,

If you happen to be in the Chicago area on June 27th, you might want to attend the Chicago Audio Society's June meeting.  It will be held in Arlington Heights at 2:00PM.  We will be demonstrating the Continuum A.D. at this meeting.  You can check out the details and address on their website.

http://www.chicagoaudio.org

If you're interested in joining, dues are $40/yr, $5 a meeting for non-members, if you want to join now you can do so for $25 for the rest of the year.  It's a good deal when you consider that includes monthly meetings, a newsletter, and light refreshments. According to their VP - Rich Sacks, dues are strictly to pay for the rent and refreshments.

We will be accompanied by Joe Jurzec of JAM'n Audio and maybe his partner Rick.  We will be bi-amping the Continuums with a solid-state Crown Macro-Reference on the low end and a pair of Reference Jolida 801 Mono-Blocs on the highs.  Other gear we will be using will be a Birdland Audio Odeon-Ag DAC w/Digital Clocker upgrade and a Proceed PDT2 Digital Transport.

If you can make it, this would be a great opportunity for us to meet.
Hope to see you there! :D

-Bob

Smeggy

« Reply #1 on: 27 May 2004, 04:54 pm »
Anyone who does go, please make sure to take a decent camers to get some good shots of these wee beasties.  :)

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2004, 01:11 am »
Hey Everybody!

Hope you're coming to the meeting.  Just a heads-up and reminder that the 27th is just 2 days away.  The Continuums are gonna rock - especially with the Jolida driving the high frequencies.  You don't want to miss this if you can make it.  Hope to see you there.   :D

God bless,
-Bob

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2004, 08:29 am »
So Bob , how did it go ??? :)

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
Pictures from the Chicago Audio Society Show
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2004, 02:23 pm »
For those of you intereseted in the outcome of the Chicago Audio Society meeting that SP Technology Loudspeakers participated in, all I will tell you is that we started out slow but finished strong.

In the second half of the meeting one of the members asked to play a piece from a CD he had brought that was all pipe organ music. When the track finished we actually received applause from the members.

The configuration at that point was as follows:

Amplification: Response Audio's highly customized Reference Jolida 801
DAC: Birdland Odeon-Ag with reclocker board
Transport: Roksan
Interconnect: Soundstring Octaphase
Digital Cable: Star Sound Technologies Sonoran Plateau Lambda
Speaker Cable: Empirical Design Omni-Speaker Cable (not the web based Emprical Design company, this is one of the former designers from Goldmund)
Star Sound Technologies Sistrum Stand and various Audiopoints under speakers and stands. Stands were filled with Star Sound's Micro-Bearing Conductive Steel Fill Material

I'm sure Bob and his staff will be posting their perspectives of the show so I'm not going to say anything else about the show. I'll let them tell all of you what they thought from their perspective, but I think the applause after a CD performance tells you most of it.

Here are several pictures, I took more but a few of them were blurred so I'm not including them:

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
Thanks Chicago!!!
« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2004, 01:29 am »
Everyone,

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank everybody involved in making the Chicago Audio Society demonstration of the SP Technology Continuum A.D. a great success!!!  I especially want to thank their VP - Rich Sacks and all the members and attendies of the meeting for their gracious invitation and very warm reception.  They are a very friendly and supportive group that any manufacturer or dealer would be fortunate to receive such an invitation from.  We really enjoyed ourselves and was encouraged by many of the kind members that we spoke with.  You can be sure will be back in the future as guests just to enjoy their comany and the interesting subjects they will be covering.  I highly recommend that any interested audiophiles that are able to make their meetings do so.  We're certain it will be worth your while. :D

We also want to thank Joe Jurzec and Mike Kern of JAM'N Audio for all of their efforts.  Those guys sure jumped through hoops to make everything come off without a hitch.  Joe spent almost an entire week tweaking and voicing the entire system to get just the right combination.  They provided virtually all of the electronics (save the Macr-Reference) that we listened to and without that gear and Joe's & Mike's ears, the Continuums certainly wouldn't wouldn't have been anywhere near as well received as they were.  They hauled all the equipment both there and back and even provided the pictures you see above.  Thanks guys - you're the greatest! :thumb:

Also, we absolutely must thank Bill Baker of Response Audio for building the increadible sounding Jolida 801's that were used.  I guess its about time I shut up about tube amps 'cause I didn't know what I was talking about in the past.  Those babies were increadible!  They didn't have the mushy low end or edgy highs I've heard from tube amps in the past.  Although I will make one point in my own defense.  I've always said that there was no reason that tubes COULDN'T sound as good as S-S, just that few manufacturers ever make them.  Well...Bill's one that DOES!  That thing was one of the best amps I've ever heard - PERIOD.  Bill had to build the thing in time for the show and he came through with time to spare.  Thanks Bill - you da' man! :dance:

Finally, we need to thank Robert Maicks and Brent Rhiel of StarSound Technologies - the guys that make the Audio Points.  I was a bit of a skeptic once with their stuff too but I'm a believer now!!!  Thanks guys for making stuff that isn't hype but that really WORKS!!!  We'll be talking soon. 8)

Anyway, as far as the sound went, I thought it was great.  I do want to say one thing though.  For all the folks that heard the MR/Jolida biamp setup; I think the Jolida was not level matched to the MR throughout the whole session.  Joe did the best he could by ear at his place before we got to the meeting and left the settings where they were.  His room is more heavily damped and that may have caused him to set the high's a little hot.  I'd say no more than 1 or 2 dB at most, but with a crossover of 950 Hz, that ends up tilting a very large part of the midrange as well as the highs up where it would seem like the amp combination might be the problem.  

I don't think so though.  You'd be amazed what +/-1 dB can do to the whole sense of spectral balance across a range that wide.  Our tweeter "CUT" circuit only knocks off 2 dB and it makes a huge difference.  I don't personally like it either but it does help in a very bright room or with a very bright recording.  If I would have had a chance using my test gear to match the amp outputs of the low and high sections so they're as flat as when being driven by a single amp, I think it would have been a whole different experience.  Oh well, the Jolida alone kicked serious butt anyway.

And for you guys that didn't stay to the end: Remember me saying that I had a Sheffield drum solo track that I wanted to crank up for you?  I've learned my lesson.  I'm going to play that sucker FIRST next time.  It ended up being the last cut we played and I think if you would have heard that, we'd be backlogged with orders for the next year!  Just ask Rich Sacks or any of the other guys that stayed to the end.  We were clipping the MR at close to 1500 watts per side!  You just haven't heard dynamics 'til you've heard that.  Go ahead and ask them, everybody was blown away.  Even I was, I never played the Continuums that loud before.  I have to admit, I was doing my fair share of struting like a rooster with a henhouse full of chickens after that! :bounce:  Yeah, we rocked real good.

Anyway, that's enough of my crowing.  I sure hope someone else that was there adds their input.  It may not have been everybody's cup of tea but I think we did pretty good over all.  Whatever the consensus, we had fun.  As far as I know, that's what its suppose to be all about.  Sure hope the other folks did too.  That alone will have made it worthwhile. :mrgreen:

G'night all,:beer:
-Bob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2004, 03:55 am »
Bob,
  I am very glad to hear the Reference 801 worked out for the show. I really wish I could have attended as it sounds like a group of people I would have enjoyed being around.
  I agree with your comment about the setup of the Crown and the Jolida, as more setup time may have allowed a good marriage of the two. We already know how well these two amps play together from past experiences.
  I can tell you we have two more Reference amplifiers in the works with one of them being a killer 200 watt pair of mono blocs (see the picture below) which will also come with a high modified matching tube preamp with a very good phono stage. I truly think an amp of this magnatute will be the holy grail of tube power for your Continuums. The other one, not show will be 100 watts of EL34 tube power with custom real wood and etched glass cosmetics.

It sounds like I will have to get a pair of speakers in my New York location to be better able to test the capabilities of my modified amps.