Tubes - Tubes - Tubes! Bob is a Born-Again Believer Now!!!!

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.aetheraudio.com
Hey Everybody,

I don't have much time to write so I'll be providing a more detailed follow-up later.  I just wanted to advise our present and future customers of an increadible improvement they can make when using our speakers.  If you don't have any extra discretionary dough laying around, I would suggest this:

If you have a first-born child or better yet, a mother-in-law (sorry mom) that isn't doing you much good at the moment, take them to market and see how much you can get for them.  Hopefully it will be enough to purchase a really good tube amp like a Jolida from Response Audio.  Make sure its as clean and transparent sounding as possible and has at least 60-70 watts per - and BUY IT!!!

If you get the Jolida unit that we auditioned (can't remember the model # right now - will update), it has a variable input gain control so set-up will be a piece of cake.  Now, wire that sucker up to the tweeter/waveguide section of the speaker.  Then make sure you use a good solid-state amp on the woofers (which you probably already have).

Now, play your favorite disc and slowly adjust the tube amp's volume up from zero to match low end volume.  Set back and  be prepared to hear the most increadible music you've ever heard.

We just came back from Jam'n Joe's JAM'N Audio in Gurnee IL tonight and after listening to the Continuums on a Rogue Zeus and the Jolida, we decided to try bi-amping using a Crown Macro-Reference on the low end and the Jolida for the highs.  OH - MY - GOD!!!!!  As good as the Continuums have sounded in the past on the MR alone, this was almost beyond belief.  

I'm still not big on tubes for the low end, I think that output transformer just gets worked too hard by the LF.  The highs seem to suffer for it when forced to drive the whole range.  The bass needs that high damping factor of a good SS to reproduce the tight punch and authority as well.  But... when you take the bass away and let the tubes do what they're best at - high frequecies - there's just no words to describe it.

I heard the best sound of my life in the last day and a half and I want to thank Joe Jurzec and family of JAM'N Audio for the opportunity.  They're our new dealer in the Chicago land area as well but I'll make that a seperate post later.  I will add this though, they're some of the finest and most hospitable people I have ever met - true "Golden Souls" - if you will.  In a few weeks you'll be able to audition the Continuums there and you won't find better people anywhere.  Believe me, they'll treat you right.  I want to thank them publicly and am truly grateful to have found such wonderful new friends.

Anyway, I'll provide more detail (make, model#'s, etc.) about the setup later.  I just had to write and tell the world...I've had an epiheny - I believe! :bounce:  :D

-Bob

Smeggy

« Reply #1 on: 24 May 2004, 11:07 am »
I'd love to hear that combo. Unfortunately I have neither first born or mother outlaw on hand.. wonder what I'd get for my cat  :o  :lol:

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #2 on: 24 May 2004, 05:20 pm »
Hello Bob,
  It was great speaking with you this weekend and glad to hear you enjoyed the Jolida amp. It was our modified Signature 801A, by the way. After speaking with Joe again today, we have come up with a bi-amp combination that we feel will be the Holy Grail and affordable (depending on one's idea of affordable)
  Your next visit to our showroom may be to audition the Continuums with the 300 watt Usher Class "A" amp down below (yes, we will bring back solid state to our line-up) and a Reference, I really want you to hear the Reference Series amps, 801 at 70 watts or 502 at 60 watts up top. We may also have one of our Reference tube preamps in the mix at this time.

............. they're some of the finest and most hospitable people I have ever met - true "Golden Souls" - if you will.

Bob, you are absolutely right. "JAM,n Joe" and family are amoung the finest people I have ever worked with.  Joe started out as a customer a few years back and is now a true friend whom I trust and respect. I am honored to have him and his family associated with Response Audio.

Joe will be sending along a detailed list of the associated equipment used over the weekend and I will let you post these details.

Bob, you know you will be hearing from me soon to get a pair in my New York location. We'll be talking soon.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

infiniti driver

« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2004, 11:51 pm »
Great write up Bob and I am happy you have now experienced the "tube magic" My Experience with the Jolida amplifiers has always been positive.

Bob, I told you your speakers are killer :)

And if you want to trade in the whole family and the cars...

The 1610 Kronzillas are the "wholly grail"but way way WAY more expensive.

http://home.tiscali.cz:8080/cb117239/amps.html

Imagine the continuums with a pair of Monoblock SS amps and the Pair of Kronzillas. Mighty fine stuff!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2004, 02:49 am »
Infiniti,
  I would love to get my hands on (okay, hands "in") a pair of these amplifiers.  :idea: What is the price point on these units?

Bob,

I have been thing over what you mentioned in our conversation and post as well as what I have been hearing from Jam'n Joe and will be working on another Reference unit that will probably be a highly modified pair of ASL Monsoon mono blocs running KT88s at 100 watts per. These amps along with an Usher 280 watt class "A" solid state unit down below will most likely be the system used in the demo setup. Maybe down the road it will become a pair of the Ushers bridged in mono for almost 600 watts. I also think the Monssons would be a good unit to drive the Timepieces.

I only wish we could have sent up a pair of our EXtreme Hurricanes in time for the session. I know these are a bit pricey at just under $10,500 a pair but are by far the best higher power tube amp(s) we will probably bring out in the Reference Series. The only other piece I may add to our high power Reference Series is the Jolida 3000 monos with 200 watts of 211 power.

Bob, you have now got me thinking again about the biamp setup using the combination of solid state and tubes. I was never big on solid state power but now see that in some situations and with certain speakers, it is the best way to get the most dynamic control and authority.

infiniti driver

« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2004, 07:23 am »
Infiniti,
I would love to get my hands on (okay, hands "in") a pair of these amplifiers.  What is the price point on these units?

I think they are about 25.5K give or take for the pair of mono-blocks.

I will need to contact Eunice Kron and get a price update. She is a wonderful Lady and I had conversations on the phone with Dr. Kron before his passing. Remarkable performance. The reference for amplification of its kind IMO. You pays....you gets!!

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2004, 03:48 pm »
Everybody,

Thanks to Joe Jurzec at JAM'n Audio, here's the list of associated equipment and room info of our listening session.  As you can see, we tried a few different combinations.  Thanks Joe.

-Bob

1st Session:

Response Audio Jolida 801B Special Edition Integrated Amp
Birdland Audio Odeon-Ag DAC w/Digital Clocker upgrade (direct to amp)
Proceed PDT2 Digital Transport
ED Omni Wire Speaker Cables
IXOS Interconnect Cables
JAM'n Audio Power Pro-14S power cables
Tice Power Block III Signature with high power option

2nd Session:

Rogue Audio Zeus amplifier (running in Triode -175 watts and Ultralinear - 225 watts modes) Triode sounds best but Ultra linear provided more dynamics at higher listening levels.
IXOS Interconnect Cables
Response Audio PC3 Power Cable - Amp
JAM'n Audio Power Pro-14S power cable

3rd Session: Surround Sound and Theater Sound Testing

Rogue Audio Zeus amplifier (running in Triode and Ultra Linear modes) Triode sounds best but Ultra linear provided more dynamics at higher listening levels.
Rotel RSP-1098 Processor
Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Amp (5 Channels at 400 watts 8 ohms/800 watts 4 ohms each)
Denon 5900 Universal DVD Player (sampled SACD and DVD Audio surround music)
Clarity Labs Foxfire Interconnect Cables
Response Audio PC3 Power Cable (Zeus Amp)
JAM'n Audio Power Pro-14S and Response Audio PC2 Power cables for everything else
Energy Microstar 12 Subwoofer - 1500 Watts for .LFE Channel
Martin Logan Ascent Subwoofer - augments the main front speakers only
Martin Logan Cinema Center Channel Speaker
Martin Logan Aerius Surround Speakers
Sony Cineza VPL-HS10 HDTV Projector

4th Session:

Rogue Audio Zeus amplifier (running in Triode mode) Bi-amp mode running high end
Crown Macrell Reference Amp (yours, please correctly spell) Bi-amp mode running low end
ED Omni Wire Speaker Cables High End
Transparent Audio Music Wave Speaker Cable - Low End
Clarity Labs Harvest Cable - Low End
IXOS Interconnect Cables - High End
Response Audio PC3 Power Cable - Amp
JAM'n Audio Power Pro-14S power cable

5th Session: (Best sounding in my opinion)

Crown Macrell Reference Amp (yours, please correctly spell) Bi-amp mode running low end
JAM'n Audio Power Pro-14S power cables

6th Session:

Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature Amp (5 Channels at 400 watts 8 ohms/800 watts 4 ohms each but only used 2 for this test) - Bi-amp mode running low end
JAM'n Audio Power Pro-14S and Response Audio PC2 Power cables

Room size was 16' x 18' with 8' ceilings. 30 AMP dedicated circuit for audio equipment. Normal speakers used for mains are Martin Logan reQuest.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jun 2004, 11:06 am »
Bob, glad you've seen the light  :roll:   :idea:   :lol: and are moving beyond those nasty Crown amps.  Even long time solid state fools like me that went to college nearby Crown headquarters only respected them as extremely well built and powerful.  Professional quality does not mean audiophile quality.

Aether Audio

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 11 Jun 2004, 01:54 am »
JLM,

I would agree with regard to almost all of their touring and contract sound stuff.  I worked there, I know what went into all their designs to some degree.  But I'll put my MR up against any SS or tube, regardless of make.  It was designed with completely different objectives - studio monitoring.  It has a very good audiophile sound - if you can say it has any sound at all.  To be honest, if I had to choose only one amp for my own home use, I'd stay with it over any of the tube gear I heard at Joe's.  Operating full range, the tube gear sounded pretty darn good but the high's were a little harsh and the low end just didn't have the impact.  But...take the low end away from those tubes and just drive the highs with it and - WOW!  Now that was a combo to hear.  The bass and lower midrange was increadibly transparent and clean while the highs were as natural and fast as a live instrument.  The harshness completely disappeared in the highs as well.  

I believe it has everything to do with low frequency saturation effects in the tube output transformer.  Low frequencies are the bane of transformers and stress them at low levels wherein on the same amp, high frequencies at high drive levels don't bother them at all.  I guess you can call me a hybrid freak - I like the best of both worlds combined. :mrgreen:

-Bob

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #9 on: 11 Jun 2004, 02:50 am »
Bob,
  I think you hit back on the age old debate, "Tubes vs. SS". I cannot say anything negative about SS gear other than it is not my personal preference. I have heard some fine sounding SS pieces throught the years of being an audio dealer and a consumer before that.

For myself, tubes add somthing I don't find in SS. Emotion, fullness, seduction, it's all there for me. I will agree that SS does have more of that dynamic impact and control that is hard to come by in tube gear but for me, that is a very slight comprimise.

I have heard the MR in the past and will also agree that this is a different breed. It is found in all types of applications from recording studios to high end home systems. I don't know how anyone could put this piece down if they heard it.

There is always a happy medium for everyone involved and one thing I have learned over the years dealing with ALL types of consumers is that I have to stay open minded and respect the personal opinions and preferences of others. I have always been one to try to answer questions with an unbiased approach sticking with purely facts. Somtimes I don't always know the facts and have no problem admiting this. My opinion is just that.....an opinion.

Tubes or solid state? The debate will continue. In the mean time, it's all about the music!!

HAppy listeing.