Ridge Street Audio Designs introduces itself to AudioCircle

Robert C. Schult

Hello to all of you.
My name is Robert and I would like to introduce Ridge Street Audio Designs and myself.

I've been involved in audio for about 20 years. At 47 years old, it occurs to me, for introduction's sake, that music and it's production or reproduction isn't simply something I do but more so who I am. We're all something (of which my wife accuses me of and it's not always a compliment!) and being a musician, artisan, craftsman, and engineer in pretty much that order is my lot.

I started Ridge Street Audio Designs around 1994 building and modifying loud speakers first but then my interest grew into more of an audio "system" approach rather than simply focusing on one thing. One great component in an audio system does not a great system make! I began toying with cables about seven years ago ( man, doesn't seem that long ago!) and it has remained my present intrigue. My partner Steve is developing the loudspeaker gig for Ridge Street. Steve has been my mentor in a lot of ways for almost 20 years. Though not officially a full time part of Ridge Street, I consider Steve a valuable partner and a great friend and companion in the adventure of our audio pursuit. Our relationship now is a mentorship of each other. He’s more the engineer/creative entity where I’m more the creative/engineer entity. At this point, Ridge Street Audio Designs’ success falls squarely on my shoulders. As time goes on, I trust Steve will be able to become more involved.  

After working full time in the print industry as a consultant for 17 years, I figured out that's not where I was supposed to be...Duh! Ridge Street Audio Designs entered the broader market place early last year with one of it's goals to be supporting it's self and my family. I left the print industry in April of last year and worked with my brother in the building trades for a short period until Ridge Street could sustain it's self and my family. Kind of a gutsy move I suppose but the adventure was and is challenging and fun...mostly. Ridge Street is now my sole 793 hours a week work. Over the last year and a half, Ridge Street Audio Designs has increasingly acquired a reputation for being a serious contender for some of the finest audio cables available.

So, with that brief introduction, I’m hoping to expand awareness of Ridge Street Audio Designs. That’s a win for us. The win for you, I trust, is the level of performance our products contribute to your music listening enjoyment. Give us a listen!

If it’s of interest and useful for you, below are links to our site and specials we now have available:

Web Address:
http://www.ridgestreetaudiodesigns.com

Ads:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?cablintr&1069062508&item
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?cablintr&1068491404&item
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?cablintr&1066719870&item

Auctions:
http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?cablintr&1064109538

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #1 on: 22 Sep 2003, 01:25 am »
Hi again Robert, welcome to AudioCircle, as I already have firsthand knowledge on how unique an individual you are, it`s good to hear a little background info on your roots. You are certainly a very knowledgable chap, most of your discussions on your cable constructions went right over my novice head but some of your valuable insights sunk in. What`s definitely sinking in tho is the extreme enjoyment from your Midnight Silver Edition Gen.11 interconnects between my Sunfire TG3 processor/2 Butler 3150 amplifiers; Bybee Digital Link from my C-Band satellite receiver to my Sunfire processor; and speaker cables for my mains/center loudspeakers. Just incredible detail, remarkable considering the hated 18 yr old Bose speakers that I suffer thru. :lol: This will be changing shortly and I have no doubts that your highly crafted silver delights will complement my new Odyssey Lorelei`s. I think anyone would do themselves well to try out these giantkilling cables. Hope you find a home here Robert, there`s allot of good people here as I`ve had the pleasure to find out. Best wishes to ya. :D  Regards, Robin

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2003, 08:12 am »
Hello Robert, Welcome ! !  :D  Any chance of a Home Audition package making the rounds for AudioCircle members to sample and review ?  Thanks !!  :D

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2003, 03:04 pm »
HI Lonewolf.
Thanks for the welcome. Not had a lot of time to participate here but there seems to be a lot of great people here....except for satfrat :lol:! Love that guy! You all have a great site here!

Well, this is the second time I've had this request. Why don't you pop me an email and we'll see what is needed and what we can do. We're pretty burried right now so plan on some time but I'm sure we can make something happen.

Psychicanimal

« Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2003, 03:51 pm »
Quote from: lonewolfny42
Hello Robert, Welcome ! !  :D  Any chance of a Home Audition package making the rounds for AudioCircle members to sample and review ?  Thanks !!  :D

Robert,

If you do that audition it will be a paradigm shift for quite a few...

Beezer

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2003, 04:46 pm »
Robert,

Some of the manufacturers here have sent around audition packs of their products for members to try in their home systems.  Normally, the auditioners will pay the shipping cost to the next person on the list, and sometimes ask for the items to be secured by a credit card in case of damage.

I'd certainly be interested...

Beez

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2003, 05:59 pm »
I will make a packege available to go around to the first 1515 requests...that's it, no more! :o

I need somebody to give me particulars. I know Marbles is a moderater and he had expressed some interest. Maybe he would be willing to co-ordinate this with me. Somebody anyway....except for satfrat. :lol:

I've got some idea of what I will do but I've not done this in a manner like this before so I need some help here to know what's going to the most accommodating. Let me Know.

BTW, if anyone is interested, we have two pair of 1m Symphonia Master IIs' for sale at $150.00 each. Direct Pricing on these is $340.00 They about 100-175 hours on them and are fully broken in. We rarely have any used stuff but these were sent back to upgrade to MSEs.

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2003, 06:05 pm »
It`s a lucky thing that your the cable wizard supreme cuz your n ugly SOB otherwise. Guess some things in life can be overlooked. One listen to your cable transmitted music and I forget all about your ‘couldn`t tell a joke if my life depended on it’ dismeaner. :nono:  Back at sha ya old coot! :lol: Regards, Robin

Marbles

« Reply #8 on: 23 Sep 2003, 06:09 pm »
Robert,

While I would love to demo your speaker cables and IC's, I have no interest in coordinating the demo.

What "normally" happens is that those interested in demoing your product contact you and secure the demo with a credit card.  Depending on the manufacture, the card is "hit" for the amount in case of damage, or in most cases just having the ability to hit it is sufficient.  

Then you send the package to the first person on the list, and let that person know who to send it to next.  You get tracking #'s and contact the next person to see if the cables arrived in good shape, and to let person #2 know who to send the package to.  The last person sends them back to you.

Normally 1-2 weeks is sufficient for each person.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 23 Sep 2003, 08:10 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Robert,

While I would love to demo your speaker cables and IC's, I have no interest in coordinating the demo.

What "normally" happens is that those interested in demoing your product contact you and secure the demo with a credit card.  Depending on the manufacture, the card is "hit" for the amount in case of damage, or in most cases just having the ability to hit it is sufficient.  

Then you send the package to the first person on the list, and let that person know who to send it to next.  You get  ...
 Yep, Marbles hit it right on the head. Its worked that way with GR Research speakers, Bolder Mensa pack, IRD Purist preamp, and so on. Great way to get your product OUT THERE !!  :D (AC now numbers over 1,500 members).  :hyper:

Robert C. Schult

« Reply #10 on: 23 Sep 2003, 11:26 pm »
Thanks Marbles, Breezer and Lonewolf. You've been helpful.
Here's what I think will be accommodating...
From the Midnight Silver Edition Gen.II cabling I will make available;

2 pair of 1m I/Cs
1 pair of 6' S/Cs (If enough of you say 8', I'll do that)
1 AC P/C
2 demagnetized peanut M&Ms for resonance control (1 Brown for North/1
   Blue for South). Heads up  Bybee Boy aka satfrat: these work better!

As many folks as would like to make a request is welcome to do so. Your request needs to be posted here for accountability sake. This Package will go out to 5 requests of my choosing of which Lonewolf and Marbles are the first two. I will post the auditioners here once they’re selected. Breezer could be the third if you’re able to post your system in the ‘Systems’ forum. Please don't be offended by this or think I'm some kind of snob...I'm more of a dick. These cables will tell you very much what your gear is doing so I want to be loosely selective of what kind of system these will be auditioned in. If you're using the latest Tandy dandy Dac with a full 30-day warranty or Biggerhump Speakers for example, these cables will probably tell you how much the gear hurts! Each participant will have 40 minutes to 2 weeks to audition the cables. When each participant has completed their audition, let me know and I will instruct the package to be sent along to the next person. I will include a Tracking/Care Sheet and shipping labels for each participant. I will need a credit card number from each participant. Your card won’t be charged unless you’re responsible for something dreadful happening to any of the items. Eat the M&Ms and your gettin’ billed!

After the package has made its rounds, 2.5 to 3 months of road trip and visits, items from the package will be put up for auction on AudiogoN.

I think that covers it. If anyone sees something I missed or has a suggestion, Please, let me know.

Beezer

it's in there
« Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2003, 12:44 am »
Robert,

System is in the system - hope it clears the bar  :o  .  I'd like to be on the list, but  would need a set of balanced interconnects for the preamp to amp connection.

Beezer

Tonto Yoder

Re: it's in there
« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2003, 01:08 am »
Quote from: Beezer
Robert,

System is in the system - hope it clears the bar  :o  .  I'd like to be on the list, but  would need a set of balanced interconnects for the preamp to amp connection.

Beezer

Whazza Chapman T-7 ???  Never heard of them before....  I'm especially interested since we share several brands/models:  I have a Nottingham Spacedeck through a BAT phono to the 3i to the VK200. I'm using Eminent Technology speakers, but recently tried some older Infinity Kappas that I really liked(right up to the point where the foam deteriorated).

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2003, 03:28 am »
Hey Robert, thanks for reminding me, you stiffed me on my M&M`s. :? I got so involved in my new qear, I totally forgot that you never included your secret ingredient with my order. What the hell was the problem here, I didn`t buy a Midnight Silver Edition gen.11 Power Cord so I didn`t qualify? Or was it that you were so stunned by the Bybee`s Quantum Purifier performance in your Digital Link that your "half-munched" M&M`s were trashed? :wink: Let`s keep this to ourselves as I want to be the only one to own a MSE Digital Link w/Bybee`s. Makes me feel special,,,, like I did in Special Ed.   :rotflmao:     Regards, Robin

Beezer

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2003, 03:44 am »
Whazza Chapman T-7 ???

Chapman Audio is a relatively small speaker maker in the greater Seattle area.  The T-7 is a 3-way with, some German titanium tweeter, Scanspeak midrange driver, and 10" woofer that is pretty tight to ~30hz, last time I measured it anyways.  I bought them from a friend a few years ago and have never felt like they were the limiting factor on my system.  I'm starting to wonder though 8) ...

Beez

Sa-dono

« Reply #15 on: 24 Sep 2003, 05:51 am »
Quote from: Robert C. Schult
Not had a lot of time to participate here but there seems to be a lot of great people here....except for satfrat :lol:!

Somebody anyway....except for satfrat. :lol:

You're going to fit in just perfectly here :mrgreen: Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you may be sending out an audition package as well. That's always a big plus as far as I'm concerned :D

bubba966

« Reply #16 on: 24 Sep 2003, 05:55 am »
I think that covers it. If anyone sees something I missed or has a suggestion, Please, let me know.

How 'bout a digital in the mix?

A good number of people around here use at least 1 digital coax (I actually use 3 in my setup). So it'd probably be a good addition to the demo pack.

I can't say that I'm shopping for cables right now, so I'd probably pass on the demo pack myself. But thought you might want to drop a digital into the mix for the other folks on the list.

Besides, I doubt my setup would be nice enough for such cables... :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 24 Sep 2003, 06:07 am »
Quote from: Sa-dono
Not had a lot of time to participate here but there seems to be a lot of great people here....except for satfrat :lol:!

Somebody anyway....except for satfrat. :lol:

You're going to fit in just perfectly here :mrgreen: Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear you may be sending out an audition package as well. That's always a big plus as far as I'm concerned :D
                                          Congratulations Robert, You`ve now met AudioCircle`s moderator (among others) of the 2ch. Audio. A great man in his own mind,,,, he puts the "A" in hole. :D  Regards, Robin

Sa-dono

« Reply #18 on: 24 Sep 2003, 06:22 am »
Quote from: satfrat

Congratulations Robert, You`ve now met AudioCircle`s moderator (among others) of the 2ch. Audio. A great man in his own mind,,,, he puts the "A" in hole. :D Regards, Robin

Don't mind satfrat...he's just mad that he publically admitted he has a small ding-a-ling :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #19 on: 24 Sep 2003, 06:26 am »
Robert knows me Sa-Dono,,,, now he knows you. :roll: Lucky him. Regards, Robin