DSD DACs

jcotner

Re: DSD DACs
« Reply #120 on: 22 Jan 2013, 01:52 am »
New DAC time. 15% off did the trick. New Hilo is on the way. To me the Hilo just has so much functionality plus the A/D (which is not for everybody). Besides listening to DSD stuff, which I now will have to rip to files, I will use this quite a bit in my studio and have been waiting to get this calibre of converter for a long time. Hope it's the right choice.

Phil A

« Reply #121 on: 22 Jan 2013, 02:34 am »
Looks interesting.  I've been slowly getting my act together and will be able to listen to DSD in a bit (just have many things going on) as I got a lightly used Meitner MA-1 that I picked up Friday.  Only had time to listen to a few SACDs at 24/88.2 via the HDMI audio de-embedder, but it sounds wonderful.

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #122 on: 22 Jan 2013, 02:40 am »
Way to go Phil!  :thumb:  Joining the MA-1 club!!  Sounds like its broken in, cuz it takes a few hundred hours.  I can't wait to hear your comments on pure DSD through it.   8)

Jcotner, Jason loves his Hilo.  Let us know if you need help getting DSD files ripped, etc. 

Audioclyde

« Reply #123 on: 22 Jan 2013, 02:45 am »
Phil & Ted, I couldn't resist adding that I've had my Meitner MA-1 for a couple of weeks now (it was used also), and I am really, really liking it.  I was afraid I'd miss the 'tube' virtues of my other dac, but the MA-1 sounds nice, full & sweet.  I almost can't make myself listen to anything but DSD files!

Randy

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #124 on: 22 Jan 2013, 02:48 am »
Phil & Ted, I couldn't resist adding that I've had my Meitner MA-1 for a couple of weeks now (it was used also), and I am really, really liking it.  I was afraid I'd miss the 'tube' virtues of my other dac, but the MA-1 sounds nice, full & sweet.  I almost can't make myself listen to anything but DSD files!

Randy

:banana piano: :beer: :dance:

P.S.  And no, I haven't tracked down the fuse yet Randy.  :)

Audioclyde

« Reply #125 on: 22 Jan 2013, 02:55 am »
Ted, some time I have to make to another audio show and if you attend I definitely owe you a cold beverage of your choice (or three)!  But to keep us on topic, I'm enjoying some ripped SACD's that I kind of just 'passed over' briefly, even at the 24/176 pcm conversions....the natural organic sound & detail is there in spades with the MA-1 (and in my setup it is a soundstaging champ, and it think it's incredible resolution & detail helps).

I hadn't even thought about the fuse rolling, but someday. :D

Randy

Phil A

« Reply #126 on: 22 Jan 2013, 02:56 am »
Way to go Phil!  :thumb:  Joining the MA-1 club!!  Sounds like its broken in, cuz it takes a few hundred hours.  I can't wait to hear your comments on pure DSD through it.   8)

Jcotner, Jason loves his Hilo.  Let us know if you need help getting DSD files ripped, etc.

Ted - was told it had about 250 hours on it and I've put a few more so it probably has about 300.  I've got files and I just ordered a couple of Oyen Digital 3TB hard drives.  It may be a couple of months before I really get to listen to DSD.  Busy building a retirement place in FL (I'll be there in a bit over a year but it is probably a couple of months away from completion and I've been back and forth a few times and probably will be a couple of more until the close) and have not been able to listen to things as much as I'd like. Had to fly out XMAS day so I could be there when they started the wiring.  Was going to buy the Exasound (even bought the USB adapter at Monoprice) and just changed my mind. 

jcotner

« Reply #127 on: 22 Jan 2013, 04:02 am »

I know. I PMd Jason a time or two regarding the Hilo.
Seems likes we are a minority. I'm sure many don't need the A/D section.

And I will need help doing my SACDs but have read the thread on the guys doing that.
I kind of though they may be getting tired doing all those rips!
I really should of bought a PS back before they got so popular for ripping.

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #128 on: 22 Jan 2013, 04:13 am »
I know. I PMd Jason a time or two regarding the Hilo.
Seems likes we are a minority. I'm sure many don't need the A/D section.

And I will need help doing my SACDs but have read the thread on the guys doing that.
I kind of though they may be getting tired doing all those rips!
I really should of bought a PS back before they got so popular for ripping.

I'm the guy that started it.  :)  Yes, getting a bit tired, but friends like Tyson and others whom I helped get going; they are now ripping hundreds for other folks.  And I keep lending a hand when I can.  Let me know if you want my guide and links.  Thx

jcotner

« Reply #129 on: 22 Jan 2013, 04:39 am »
Let me know if you want my guide and links.  Thx

I do and I understand there is a list of titles already done so as to avoid duplicate effort.

jcotner

« Reply #130 on: 24 Jan 2013, 06:03 am »
The Hilo came in and I got it set up first on the PC. Mac in a few days. Pulled out my trusty old (not the new garbage) Sony MDR-V6 and all I can say is WOW!!! This is a heck of a box. I've done a little listening to some FLAC and also using my Rhapdosy subscription. What a pleasure. Looking forward to playing some DSD material and getting these on my monitor speakers and power amp. If a fellow had the cash I'd be hard pressed to see how you could beat the Hilo. I'm sure I would have liked the Mytek especially being less money, but being able to get the ADC in the same package was the Cat's meow.
« Last Edit: 24 Jan 2013, 08:03 am by jcotner »

wisnon

« Reply #131 on: 18 Feb 2013, 12:29 pm »

Maxvla

« Reply #132 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:07 am »
New DSD DAC imminently releasing, the Matrix X-Sabre and at $1099. I have one coming for review in a few days, but currently don't have any DSD. I'll have to get some free samples or buy an album to test with, and when I get a chance, find a PS3 to rip my SACDs.

http://matrix-digi-usa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=63

wisnon

« Reply #133 on: 23 Feb 2013, 08:46 am »
Excellent specs.

This seems a bargain for the price. Only feature missing is double rate DSD.

Maxvla

« Reply #134 on: 23 Feb 2013, 09:50 am »
Excellent specs.

This seems a bargain for the price. Only feature missing is double rate DSD.
DSD×64 (2.8224MHz) / DSD×128 (5.6448MHz)

??

wisnon

« Reply #135 on: 23 Feb 2013, 12:03 pm »
DSD 128 is what I meant and I looked again and it does it. My bad.

Yup, this does look like a VERY appealing solution for the price. Great find!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #136 on: 23 Feb 2013, 02:32 pm »
New DSD DAC imminently releasing, the Matrix X-Sabre and at $1099. I have one coming for review in a few days, but currently don't have any DSD. I'll have to get some free samples or buy an album to test with, and when I get a chance, find a PS3 to rip my SACDs.

http://matrix-digi-usa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=63&product_id=63

Thanks for the heads up.  I will have one coming soon, too.  This is a new price point for DXD and DSD128.  Looks interesting.  Wonder how it will compare to E20, Sonore/eXD and Mytek (the three I've reviewed at this under-$2500 price point) although this one is half the E20 $$.

wisnon

« Reply #137 on: 23 Feb 2013, 03:53 pm »
Dont forget the TEAC is even lower than this (even without DXD)!

ted_b

• Facilitator
« Reply #138 on: 23 Feb 2013, 03:57 pm »
Dont forget the TEAC is even lower than this (even without DXD)!

I didn't forget.  I mentioned 24/352k for that reason.  :)  Native DXD playback is almost as unique as DSD (as far as specs go, especially in this price range).  Native DXD is very nice.

wisnon

« Reply #139 on: 23 Feb 2013, 05:34 pm »
OK, kinda saw that coming, but it was worth a shot.  :oops: