Connecting RCA and balanced cables into KWA 150

vooges

Connecting RCA and balanced cables into KWA 150
« on: 4 Oct 2010, 12:20 am »
Hello,

I have a LS-36.5 that is connected to my amplifier using RCA connections mainly because I use the HT-Bypass and the HT-Bypass does not seem to work with the balanced out.

I was able to borrow the KWA 150 from my dealer to try out and I read in the LS 36.5 manual that it outputs to both the RCA and balanced outputs simultaneously. Contrary to my Simaudio W5.3, one seems to be able to connect both RCA and balanced cables into the KWA 150 simultaneously. I am however reluctant to try it out without clear indications that no harm will come to either unit.

Does anyone know if doing this is possible? I don't know how the KWA 150 determines to use the balanced or RCA inputs, perhaps it "senses" the signal. But what does it do it senses a signal from both inputs? Does one have priority?

I'm trying to get the best of both worlds: HT-Bypass using the RCA's while the unit is off and balanced out from the LS 36.5 to the balanced in of the KWA 150 when listening to music.

Thanks to anyone that can help.

dmatt

Re: Connecting RCA and balanced cables into KWA 150
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2010, 05:10 am »
Vooges,

I would check with Dan Wright on your HT-Bypass (he will probably respond to this thread) because I have the pre-amp out from my Denon AVR going to my MW 36.5 DM as an HT-Bypass via RCAs and it works fine through the balanced connections I use to connect the 36.5 DM to my amps. 

When my pre-amp is off, the balanced outputs default to HT-Bypass.  Have you tried listening to HT-bypass via balanced when your preamp is powered off?

Sorry I can't answer your original question, I always ran my KWA-150s via balanced so I don't know what would happen if both inputs were used simultaneously.

vooges

« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2010, 12:17 am »
dmatt,

Thanks for the reply. I tried again tonight and the pre-outs from my Integra to the HT-Bypass of the LS36.5 do not produce any sound out of the balanced connections. As suggested, I tried this with the pre-amp off. I get sound only if the RCAs are used.

Dan, is it normal for my LS36.5 not to output the HT-Bypass to the balanced out?

Thanks

DigiPete

• Hearing is Believing...
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2010, 01:16 am »
My single box new version LS36.5 worked just fine in HT bypass with the balanced outputs.

I got a two box older LS36.5 DM and the HT bypass does not work with balanced outputs. Dan mentioned this is a known problem on earlier units and is fixing it for me.

You may have a similar issue. I would call Dan

Cheers
Pete

vooges

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2010, 12:25 pm »
Thanks Pete,

I have asked my dealer to look into this and hopefully resolve this issue for me.
They are an authorized Modwright reseller and have always taken good care of me.

Thanks again.

dmatt

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2010, 06:35 pm »
Vooges,

Good move.  While it may require your pre to make a trip back to the MW mothership, being able to use the balanced outputs with HT bypass is worth it (at least for me).

I'm glad you have a good relationship with your dealer and I'll add that my customer service experience with Dan and the ModWright team has been nothing short of fantastic (going the extra mile, treats you like family, classic gentleman, bends over backwards ... they all apply).  You are in good hands.

And the 36.5 with KWA 150s is sweet -- as if they were made for each other :wink:.

David

modwright

« Reply #6 on: 8 Oct 2010, 09:36 pm »
Hi guys, first an answer to the question about HT/BP and XLR outs.  Earlier units ONLY output HT/BP via RCA's.  We later changed the design to allow HT/BP output to both.  I am speaking with a dealer in Canada about this issue right now.

Regarding connecting both RCA and XLR cables into the amp at the same time (KWA 100, 100SE or 150), I would not recommend it.

The way that our amps are configured, the RCA ground is common to XLR (-) and not grounded.  The +/- inputs feed a high-quality Lundahl input transformer, thus the amps circuitry is balanced, whether fed RCA or XLR inputs and there is not chance of ground loops due to floating ground.

Another important note regarding our KWA 150 when run in BRIDGED MONO mode, is that there must NEVER be any speaker load connected to the (+) or (-) binding posts that is earth grounded.  In bridged mono, there is no absolute ground at the outputs and grounding either binding post to earth ground WILL damage the amp.  This needs to be kept in mind when using subwoofers, etc.

Thanks,

Dan W.

vooges

« Reply #7 on: 9 Oct 2010, 01:17 pm »
Dan,

Thanks for chiming in and clearing that up. I'm glad I verified prior to attempting connecting both cables.

The dealer you are speaking to is referring to my unit. I didn't realise I was an early adopter of the LS36.5. I guess that makes up for being late on the getting my Transporter Truth Mods done only last month.

I have to say that the all Modwright chain of Transporter to LS36.5 to KWA 150 is nothing short of magic coming out of my Dynaudio Contour S 5.4. The Dynaudios have never sounded better.

modwright

« Reply #8 on: 9 Oct 2010, 08:36 pm »
Thank you for the positive feedback RE our Transporter and LS 36.5 combination.

I will work with your dealer to see what we can do to resolve the XLR/HTBP limitation.

Take care,

Dan