Damping and warranty + PC on SWL9.0SE

topster

« on: 10 Sep 2005, 02:55 am »
I sent an email to Dan directly but don't know if it actually got to him, so I'm trying this forum instead.

I've been enjoying the SWL9.0SE for a week now and it has been glorious.

However, when I tapped on the chassis, I notice that the tubes pick up microphonics and I can hear them through the speakers. I'd like to dampen the chassis and use Herbie's Hal-O dampers on the tubes. I want to ensure that I don't void the warranty doing that.

One other question I thought  I'd ask was if the preamp was sensitive to power cord swapping. Could those who own the preamp share which PC they've used work well?

Cheers!  :mrgreen:

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2005, 03:10 am »
First off, if the tubes exhibit that kind of microphonics they're bad (i.e replace them).  My SE did that once while I was trying new tubes in it.  Dan concurred that the tubes were bad.  Second, Dan recommended I try the Hal-O's for the SE (I've used them on his 999ES Platinum since day one), so I am sure they don't void a warranty.  Damping the chassis...I dunno....that's one Dan needs to comment on.  You could always just use a Townshend 3D Seismic Sink.  Reviewer Levi loved it under his Modwright.

I use a VH Audio Flavor 2 pc and love it.

Ted

topster

« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2005, 03:28 am »
Quote from: ted_b
First off, if the tubes exhibit that kind of microphonics they're bad (i.e replace them).  My SE did that once while I was trying new tubes in it.  Dan concurred that the tubes were bad.  Second, Dan recommended I try the Hal-O's for the SE (I've used them on his 999ES Platinum since day one), so I am sure they don't void a warranty.  Damping the chassis...I dunno....that's one Dan needs to comment on.  You could always just use a Townshend 3D Seismic Sink.  Reviewer Levi loved it under his Modwright.

I use a VH Audio Flavor 2 pc and love it.

Ted

Thanks Ted. The pre is only a week old, so I guess I'll need to call Dan or talk to my dealer (Kurt at Echo Hifi).

I was considering the Flavor 2. Have you compared it to anything else?

Thanks!

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:00 am »
Just beware that those sticky "audiophile" chassis damping material will change the sound of your preamp, and not necessarily for the better.  Overdamping is certainly possible, which will deaden the sound.  Some of these materials are not exactly fully reversible, leaving messy residue behind.

You'll be better off with Herbie tube dampers and something external, like Brightstar little rock sitting on top of the preamp.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #4 on: 10 Sep 2005, 02:46 pm »
Quote from: topster
Thanks Ted. The pre is only a week old, so I guess I'll need to call Dan or talk to my dealer (Kurt at Echo Hifi).

I was considering the Flavor 2. Have you compared it to anything else?

Thanks!

No, I haven't compared the Flavor 2 to anything but the stock cord.  I'm in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mood lately.

topster

« Reply #5 on: 10 Sep 2005, 04:40 pm »
Quote from: ted_b
No, I haven't compared the Flavor 2 to anything but the stock cord.  I'm in a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mood lately.

Hi ted_b, what difference do you hear in using the Flavor 2 over stock? That would give me a baseline...

Thx! :mrgreen:

JerryH

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2005, 05:32 pm »
If you get the Herbies (which I also recommend), make sure you get the high temp ones. Those tubes are pretty hot.
The preamp responds very well to better power cables. I had an Audience on there that was really good. I came across a TG SLVR and after trying it on various components (SACD, Amp) I found it made the most difference on the preamp. I was actually shocked just how much difference it made.

topster

Venhaus Audio Flavor 2
« Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2005, 05:00 pm »
Hi all,

Just to report back. I went ahead and built myself a Flavor 2 PC for my SWL9.0SE. I built it with leftover cables from Chis Venhaus (don't recall if it was the cryo'ed version), a Marinco plug and a Schurter 4300.0603 IE. The latter two aren't cryo'ed either. Burned it in on my computer for over a week before using it on the pre.

Using Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disc as a reference, against the stock PC, the Flavor 2 definitely retrieved more detail, expanded the soundstage and extended the highs. I did't notice a different in the lows, but I think my PSB Stratus Mini speakers are the limiter there.

This wasn't evaluated blind, but both my wife and I noticed the difference in the sound, and she's generally indifferent to my audio adventures. That's good enough for me.

For the low cost, definitely worth it. Don't know how they stack up against other PCs, but I guess I don't really care at this point. :mrgreen:

Cheers!

modwright

Bad tubes and PC's
« Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2005, 08:57 pm »
Hi Topster, I apologize for not replying sooner.  I guess I didn't get your e-maiil, as I try to always return emails and promptly.

It does sound like the tubes were bad and I will gladly send you a new pair or Kurt can help you also.

I am going to be buying a fantastic tube tester, curve tracer from Hagerman Technologies when I return from the CO show.  I will then be able to ship every unit with perfectly matched pairs.

Thanks,

Dan

MaxCast

« Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2005, 09:03 pm »
Another plug for Herbies dampers.  Even if your tubes don't appear to be microphonic.

topster

Re: Bad tubes and PC's
« Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2005, 11:13 pm »
Hi Dan,

No problem. Yes, one of the tubes, Tung Sols apparently, became extremely microphonic a couple of days later. It was just going off with no music through it. I could hear it distinctly 20' away.

I visited Kurt again (he's a great guy to deal with), and he passed me a few couple Philips as replacement. Those fixed the problem nicely and I'm happy.

But I'd like to get my hands on a couple of Tung Sols at some point just to hear their difference. That's for another day.

I did get myself the Herbie's tube dampers in the meanwhile, but I'm not sure what different they made on their own, since I also put in his footers at the same time. Nevertheless, it sounds great now!

Cheers!  :mrgreen: