How many people watch TV with colors turned to "11"

Tonto Yoder

I've been in several customers' homes recently and have been astonished how ghastly the color is set on their televisions--everything is Day-Glo vivid and peoples' skin tones look radioactive. I personally have always turned my TV settings DOWN from the default settings to get some kind of realism to the colors, but these people seem to turn everything UP as far as it will go.  

I'm not sure I could stand to watch TV this way, fearing the colors would burn through my retinas.  Anyone else find this true???

rkapadia@ROOP

• Industry Participant
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2004, 06:28 pm »
That sort of reminds me of bright ribbon speakers - they sound so detailed when you walk into the room and everything jumps out at you and sounds very impressive, but after 10 minutes the listening fatigue sets in.  I find overly bright colors give me a headache after a while.

Carlman

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2004, 06:52 pm »
I generally stare directly into my strobe light for entertainment.  When I get tired of that, I'll turn on the TV and it just doesn't have the pop and sizzle I'm used to.  So, I turn the brightness and contrast to where it makes sense... Oh, since I have a Sony, I increase the 'picture'.  That always makes it more 'picturey'.

Honestly, I don't know why people adjust their sets and sound systems to 11 for everything... bass, treble, loudness, 'picture'... etc.  I think it might be part of the escape from reality.  Why watch what it really looks like when you could have it in super-enhanced mode? ;)