AV advice - cheap

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
Re: AV advice - cheap
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2016, 12:35 am »
I would go with a 5.0 system.  Cheap subwoofers most often crapify and muddy the sound, and the sound quality and impact of movies through decent size full-range speakers with 6.5" and 5.25" drivers (sans sub) can be quite satisfying, with potentially more room-filling sound.

Front:    Elac B6  (6.5" w/ silk dome) - $280
Center:  Elac C5  (2 X 5.25" w/ silk dome) - $180
Rear:     Polk OWM3  (4.5" w/ silk dome, white & wall mountable) - $100

Receiver:  Marantz NR1605 or SR5009 - $350 - $430 (Refurb)

Slimline NR1605 for aesthetics or full-height SR5009 for twice the power and a bit of future proofing with additional inputs and outputs for $80 more.  Both have versatility of Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Airplay.

Total:  $910 to $990 plus a few cables

Steve

If I we're doing a cheap multichannel surround sound system, this probably what I'd do. I've heard the Elac speakers (inpressive) but not the sub. The sub w/ the idevice digital room correction seems interesting - although with the marantz you'll get that with audyssey. I like a sub for HT - even a somewhat lumpy one. You want some air displacement for booms which is hard for bookshelf speakers. Of course if your viewing tends to less bass bombastic material, it might not be important.

srb

« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2016, 12:55 am »
I like a sub for HT - even a somewhat lumpy one. You want some air displacement for booms which is hard for bookshelf speakers.

That's basically what JLM said.  But in my own experience, when you get the booms called for by the program material, you also get some unwanted booms and thuds and bass trash where there shouldn't really be any, which for me, detracts from the overall experience.

I like a sub for HT too, but not in the context of this budget.  I haven't heard much I like under $500.  Well, except maybe for my dual Celestion 8s that just barely make the grade.

Maybe the $569 Rythmik L12 could be added to the budget a bit down the road after he has been bitten by the good sound bug!

Steve

randytsuch

« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2016, 12:58 am »
Personally I consider a subwoofer (even if only a mushy one note boom box) as required for any AV system.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I agree.
I think you need a sub for a HT system, even a sucky low budget sub.

I had a pretty sucky energy sub for a long time for my ht sound, and it was still better than no sub, imho.

Randy