tightening screws on woofers and mid range rings ? on my Deadulus Speakers

A_shah

Attended an event at the San Francisco Audiophile Society the topic was speaker placement with Stirling Trayle http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/audio_systems_optimized.htm
Mr. Trayle mentioned that  at Audio shows the Magico people tighten the screws just about every night ?
I have never tightened the screws on my Daedalus Speakers , wondering if anyone owing Daedalus speakers has  done that ? Does it help with the sound if one is do that !  how do you go about doing that without damaging the rings  even if you have the right tools ? It was a Great topic today
Also attended a Sierra Nevada Audiophile Society event at a members home in Sacramento , the Gentleman had all Audio Note Equipment including audio note speakers with "hemp paper cones"   with external x -overs the system probably cost the price of a house ! however I thought the system was dark sounding well maybe different I still prefer the open sound I get from my Daedalus speakers ! :popcorn:

Bemopti123

In the case of the Magico people tightening their driver nuts every night, I can think that they might be playing tracks really loud and the like in order to necessitate such action.  All speakers I have had...perhaps I do not play them loud or anything for extended amounts of time, makes me think that such action might not be necessary for most of us.  And...I am thinking about the potential damage that over tightening might cause on the long run. 

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
On systems that do NOT use trim rings repeated tightening of the screws holding drivers can cause damage. We now have custom made trim rings on our woofers and midrange drivers that can handle a lot of torque, though it is still possible to damage the system.  I would advise being very careful to not overtighten. That being said it may be worthwhile to check the torque annually.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
Attended an event at the San Francisco Audiophile Society the topic was speaker placement with Stirling Trayle http://www.theaudiobeat.com/equipment/audio_systems_optimized.htm
Mr. Trayle mentioned that  at Audio shows the Magico people tighten the screws just about every night ?
I have never tightened the screws on my Daedalus Speakers , wondering if anyone owing Daedalus speakers has  done that ? Does it help with the sound if one is do that !  how do you go about doing that without damaging the rings  even if you have the right tools ? It was a Great topic today
Also attended a Sierra Nevada Audiophile Society event at a members home in Sacramento , the Gentleman had all Audio Note Equipment including audio note speakers with "hemp paper cones"   with external x -overs the system probably cost the price of a house ! however I thought the system was dark sounding well maybe different I still prefer the open sound I get from my Daedalus speakers ! :popcorn:

Thanks :D  I really liked the earlier Magico's but not as much anymore..... :scratch:

Let me know when you want to do the upgrade on your Poseidons, we are getting pretty backed up.....

A_shah

Thanks :D  I really liked the earlier Magico's but not as much anymore..... :scratch:

Let me know when you want to do the upgrade on your Poseidons, we are getting pretty backed up.....

Lou,
Thank you for chiming in 
pretty soon ! when you get back from Chicago , will call and schedule  :thumb:

Asghar

ejholtom

Is there a recommended torque spec for tightening screws on Daedalus drivers?

ric

I would recommend looking into replacing the screws with brass screws. This tweak works. See Ric Schultz Oddiophile on YT. One thing you can do is buy replacement brass screws, try them, and if you don't hear a difference put the others back in. When you consider that metal frames can ring (however slightly) using brass to minimize that affect makes sense. Good luck!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
I would recommend looking into replacing the screws with brass screws. This tweak works. See Ric Schultz Oddiophile on YT. One thing you can do is buy replacement brass screws, try them, and if you don't hear a difference put the others back in. When you consider that metal frames can ring (however slightly) using brass to minimize that affect makes sense. Good luck!

I would agree with the brass screws on mounting drivers directly, but we have a different system where the trim rings compress the driver mounting flange between gaskets under a much higher torque than you would use for directly mounting drivers. Brass screws will not in our system make any difference and could potentially become a problem because of the softness of the metal and the torque.
btw I am a fan of using brass and we do internally use brass as "resonance busters" and of course on our DiDs and new stainless steel/Brass leveling spikes.

Mark Korda

• Dawkus
Ashah, when I get the screws tightened where I like it I use a tiny amount of silicone painters caulk applied around the screw head where it touches the speaker frame. The caulking comes in clear and black at most hardware stores. Use a damp paper towel to clean up around the screw head and it will look like it came out of the show room.
   Those screws will never move. If you want to adjust them later on just take a toothpick around the screw head and the caulking will come right out.....like using your finger when you have a jello shot......Mark Korda

Mike B.

The way Deadulus mounts their drivers sounds excellent. I use screws and use a 18 v drill on slow and with a low setting on torque to do all the screws on my large line sources. I found the tightness I like by playing with the torque setting on the drill. I assume I am getting a more consistent setting each time I do it for what it's worth.