Paradigm crossover caps

Echo419

Paradigm crossover caps
« on: 1 Sep 2020, 02:32 pm »
Hello
New here and looking for advice. Im thinking of replacing or bypassing the Bennic caps in my 20 yr old Paradigm Monitor 5 crossovers. The tweeter has a 4.7mfd, Mid range has 10mfd and woofer has a 33mfd cap. Should I replace them with new sonicaps of the same value or use bypass caps? If I replace them will is cause ESR issues? I also plan to replace the resistors with Mills too.

thanks
Jason

Echo419

Re: Paradigm crossover caps
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2020, 05:36 pm »
lol did I ask a question that cant be answered? Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

thanks

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 3 Sep 2020, 03:01 am »
All of your choices above should yield sonic improvements.  The component on that factory cross over are super cheap.  I'm always amazed that manufacturers won't spend and extra $25 on midlevel components when it would only increase prices by 1-2%. 

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 3 Sep 2020, 04:00 am »
Hey!

Considering those old caps are 20 years old. New and better caps will "improve" the sound, but that doesn't mean you'll like the end result. Also, good caps of those values that you need 4.7uf, 10uf and 33uf can be costly and bigger than what's in there right now.

Another question to ask is... it is worth doing it? Putting in more expensive parts doesn't always guarantee you will like the end result. And you won't know until you put them in, break them in and listen.

Anyway, it can be a fun thing to do and experiment if you have time and money. Good luck and keep us posted on the result.

Buddy

Echo419

« Reply #4 on: 3 Sep 2020, 04:31 pm »
thanks for the replies

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2020, 08:41 pm »
  Send them to Danny at GR Research for a review and advice. Maybe Danny's new cap line can help. He is one of the best crossover guys around.

charles